I'm new and I brought haircut before/after pics

SkwiggSkwigg Posts: 8Registered Users
I'm brand new, very excited, and I've had a lot of caffeine. I'll try not to write a novel.

I'd been trying to grow my hair long without much success. It's so fine that it would just get weird and stringy and thin once it hit my shoulders, a situation not helped by the fact that it had been too heavily layered. I was annoyed with it and ready to chop. At least when it's short it will poodle up into ringlets. (And that's just what everybody want's to look like, right? A poodle. :wink:)

I found naturallycurly.com, read everything, ditched the sulfates and silicones, and parted ways with my old salon. I got a really good curly haircut this week from a stylist I found here. I'm SO excited!

I'm not sure if I can attach the before and after photo but I'll try. The photo on the left is a couple of weeks ago (note weird shape and stringy ends). Photo on the right is my new haircut, which she cut dry, one curl at a time. I'm totally thrilled that it's full and it curls and it's still at my shoulders!

Would love to play a "guess my hair type" game because I can't figure it out. 3A maybe?? I also wrote a big rambling blog entry on my hair saga, blog link is in the signature. It's supposed to be a fitness blog but I'm prone to wild tangents. Hope it's ok to link directly to that "before/after CG" thread. People are blown away by it! It's recruited at least a dozen new curly girls that I know of.

Thank you so much for all of the curl talk! Love it!

Comments

• eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    OMG!!!!!!! Skwigg! It's Skwigg!!!

OK, OK I'll try to calm down. For those of you that don't know Skwigg she's a sort of hero to many of us. PLEASE check out her website she's got in her signature.

Skwigg, you totally helped me get my body into shape with your funny and insightful weightlifting websight. I should have written to you there to thank you but didn't want to seem like a stalker. So, hehe, I'm stalking you here!

Your hair looks wonderful! Welcome to NC!

ETA I think you're a 3a and maybe a bit of 3b.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Love the name Skwigg! :D

I'd say 3A/3B too. Welcome to the site.

Now I must go check out your blog!!!
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • flurogoddessflurogoddess Posts: 13Registered Users
    Hello skwigg!

I'm here because of you!

:blob7:

I did my first co-wash yesterday but hair's not coping too well with motorbike helmet :thumbdown:
  • mharmon35080mharmon35080 Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hi.. Im new to the website too. I stumbled upon this as I was looking for new hair style for my natural curly hair. I am so tired of the long locks. They get in my face, and I am always pulling hair back in poney tail or up in a clip. Any suggestions, I will try and attach a photo...
  • SkwiggSkwigg Posts: 8Registered Users
    I could spend hours clicking through the CurlPix photos. There are some really cute shoulder and chin length styles. The most important thing though, if you're considering a radical change, is to find a stylist who is really good with curly hair. A haircut can go SO wrong if a stylist miscalculates what the curl will do when it's shorter and dry. I've experienced some weird, round, poodle, bell cuts, but I found a great new stylist here in the CurlSalon section. She really listened to what I wanted and she cut it dry, so no scary surprises. Good luck finding your new look.

Hi.. Im new to the website too. I stumbled upon this as I was looking for new hair style for my natural curly hair. I am so tired of the long locks. They get in my face, and I am always pulling hair back in poney tail or up in a clip. Any suggestions, I will try and attach a photo...
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    How funny.. my parents have called me "skwiggy" or "skwigg" my whole life. I have no idea why.

Anyway, your hair looks great! AWESOME cut. I agree with others, 3a with some 3b.

Welcome to the boards!!
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• greengrlgreengrl Posts: 129Registered Users
    Welcome!:hello2:
    Your cut looks great & your curls are amazing!:love5:I agree with the others in saying that you are a 3a/3b. Your hair has the potential of being a full 3b especially now that you cut off some of the length.
  • tinasuetinasue Posts: 3Registered Users
    Your haircut is amazing! I love it!

Today, after work...I got my haircut. I was a wreck all day long, worried I would regret my cut. Well...guess what? I went from long wavy locks to the Poodle Puff.

I told the stylist to PLEASE do not cut it so short that I would ball up. As she was cutting, she said..."oh wow...your hair REALLY is curly."
    I knew I was in trouble.
    6 inches gone...but not forgotten. :sad10:
  • SkwiggSkwigg Posts: 8Registered Users
    Oh no, not the poodle puff! I've had that one. Hated the short length and round, round shape. But the last time I got "groomed" I forced myself to find some positives. In my case, I lost inches of damaged color treated hair, it curled really well, it was very shiny... and ok, other than that I wanted to die and/or wear a hat 24/7. Hang in there. I hope it grows really quickly. I keep encountering curly-haired women who trim their own hair. I'm starting to understand why.

tinasue wrote: »
    Your haircut is amazing! I love it!

Today, after work...I got my haircut. I was a wreck all day long, worried I would regret my cut. Well...guess what? I went from long wavy locks to the Poodle Puff.

I told the stylist to PLEASE do not cut it so short that I would ball up. As she was cutting, she said..."oh wow...your hair REALLY is curly."
    I knew I was in trouble.
    6 inches gone...but not forgotten. :sad10:
  • marie.lmarie.l Posts: 702Registered Users
    glad to have you here!

marie
  • UConnJulieUConnJulie Posts: 1Registered Users
    Skwigg,
    I'm here because of you too!
    I think I'm a 2a but maybe a 3a ... parts are very curly and others not so much. We'll see after I start treating it right!
    Julie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file