Dimethicone

PetalPetal Registered Users Posts: 219
Hi.

I just purchased Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner, because I read somewhere in the boards that it was CG friendly. Now I realize it has Dimethicone in it. Is there a way to get rid of it without washing with a sulfate shampoo?

I will never, ever, ever shampoo with regular shampoo again. It does really ugly things to my hair. I'm hoping using Creme of Nature once a month or so will be enough to keep it under control.
3A-3B mix, medium-thick, prone to splitting. Products: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jojoba oil, Free me freesia conditioner to detangle. Trying to experiment with protein DTs a few times a month.

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    not that I know of :(

I think the Dimethicone is one of the ones that builds up pretty easily too, though I might be wrong on that.

low poos have taken care of them for some people, so that might be worth a shot, but you MIGHT have to resort to a sulfate poo if you used that conditioner.

I'm sorry!!!! Maybe someone else will correct me and have better news for you.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • SariaSaria Registered Users Posts: 15,963
    It's just dimethicone, not PEG-dimethicone? The latter is supposed to be water-soluble, though I stay away from all of them.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • PetalPetal Registered Users Posts: 219
    Thanks ladies.

Sairis, it's definitely Dimethicone. I guess I'll have to give it away.

Just curious MimsTX, how would someone know if a low poo got rid of the cones? I mean, sulfate shampoos strip the hair completely and my hair feels like straw for days (so I know there's nothing left there), but low poos don't seem to have that effect on my hair, after I've used them my hair feels almost normal, no change in the texture or curl and hair seems still hydrated.
    3A-3B mix, medium-thick, prone to splitting. Products: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Jojoba oil, Free me freesia conditioner to detangle. Trying to experiment with protein DTs a few times a month.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    I have absolutely no idea, as I've only used a low poo once in my life. lol

I'm ASSUMING that if you noticed buildup (stringiness, curls falling a little flat, 'flash drying' in the shower, etc) you could try the low poo... if it doesn't seem to make a difference, then you'd probably have to sulfate poo.

I'll be honest, if I think I have build up from a cone like that, I go ahead and save myself the time and effort and just use a clarifying sulfate shampoo. *shrug* it's just easier for me.

It makes my hair feel nasty too, but a good DT afterwards seems to take care of it.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • PetalPetal Registered Users Posts: 219
    Ty :)
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Registered Users Posts: 408
    The problem with cones is that they coat the hair and need a sls shampoo for removal. Sls shampoo is too harsh for most hair. Co-washing doesn't remove the cones so you have a build-up on the hair and moisture can not get in. So you end up with dry hair.

Some of the low-poos do get some cones out.
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Registered Users Posts: 1,680
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
  • mddermmdderm Registered Users Posts: 61 Curl Neophyte
    If I were you, I would just use a sulfate free shampoo. I use Organix vanilla shampoo like once a week and I find that it does a great job getting out all the build up in my hair especially if i straighten and use silicones.
  • RyanneRyanne Registered Users Posts: 686
    You could try a ACV rinse, but maybe it isn't strong enough.
  • CurlyFireHorseCurlyFireHorse Registered Users Posts: 350 Curl Neophyte
    I did the same thing and like you, I refuse to ever use a sulfate shampoo again. Use baby shampoo to clarify this one time. It worked for me and has no sulfates.
    CurlyFireHorse
    Hair: 2a or 3a (not sure), very porous and fine as frog hair
    Day 1: Cowash and condition with AO GPB, ACV Rinse,
    Co-Kra gel (this stuff is fantastic)

Day 2: KCKT, KCCC, plop, KCCC, plop again, air dry
    Day 3: Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Coil Jam
    Day 4: IAGirl's PT, KBB DT, FSG

Co-Kra gel is my own concoction of okra boiled in coconut milk. It is a cross between FSG and KCCC and leaves my hair very soft and shiny
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    I very occasionally still use something with dimethicone in it, and just low-pooing occasionally w/Giovanni TTTT shampoo is sufficient to prevent any build-up. Burt's Bees Grapefruit and Sugar Beet Shampoo is also sulfate-free and very clarifying - too clarifying for me.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Shea-girl-aloeShea-girl-aloe Registered Users Posts: 280
    Dimethicones can be very nasty business if you don't shampoo. But dimethicones do wash away with non-SLS shampoos. So you can low-poo and be okay. I encourage you to take a look at this product review on Youtube that speaks about a product containing cones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBQKcc-uzI4
    4/b with 4/a kinks at the back of my head. :toothy4:

Keep it kinky, curly, wavy- whatever.
    Just keep it natural and keep it you, from head to toe ^_^ :hippy2: :blob4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hollyhollyrose&view=videos

Fotki:
    http://public.fotki.com/shea-girl-aloe/
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Registered Users Posts: 671
    I used to have HH, and used it regularly, but I wash about once a week. My so's hair, which is fine 3B, became completely parched, strawlike, & basically ruined with that stuff. So now I like VO5, which is cheaper and like the greatest detangler ever, anyway.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file