An addition to the UK and German curl faction!

ural0000ural0000 Posts: 114Registered Users
After lurking around for weeks, finally joined.
I'm currently trying to figure out a routine for my hair and am most curious to find out whether my hair is actually more curly than I thought it was or whether it is just wayward and messy.
Currently giving conditioner washing and no-sulphate/no-silicone products a go, which unfortunately means I had to ditch my favourite LUSH shampoos & conditioners, since they contain SLS (damn!); I'm using Naked Bodycare shampoo/conditioner/treatment for the time being and will use up my LUSH goodies for clarifying if needed.
Anyone else using Naked? How were they getting on with that?
Also, I find that while my hair can be very well behaved after washing, it'll look a bit limp the next morning (I wash in the evening - in the morning every minute in bed counts!:wink:) - I usually spray with water + a squirt of conditioner and scrunch.
I'm curious to see whether I'll stop looking like I've stuck my fingers in the electrical socket once I've stuck with CG for a while.

To explain the title of the post: I'm German by birth, but living in the UK with my Scottish husband.
Curling it in Scotland the modCG way since September 2008.
Long suffering wavy - 2a/b.

Low-poo:
  • Naked Rescue or Care
Conditioners:
  • Original Source (any variety)
  • Naked Care and Naked Rescue DT
  • ASDA Essential Care Mango&Passionfruit or Coconut&Tiare
Stylers:
  • Boots Essentials Curl Creme
  • Boots Essentials Strong Hold Gel (purple)

Comments

• AlinaAlina Posts: 19Registered Users
    I did! I had three choises when I did not CG: a. straightening
    , b. braiding hair right after the shower, letting it air-dry about 80% in the braid, then let it air dry [a method which gave decent results if you don't mind the waviness that is obviously braid-shaped, and which saved me from straightening and the damage caused by it, and c. doing nothing, letting it air-dry [resulting in a poofy mess most of the times, and in some shy frizzy but not extremely frizzy curls in a couple of lucky days per month].

It's been a week and a day since I've started CG, and my hair looks like my avatar picture. :)
    By what I've seen in this forum, it will look even better later on!

So, good luck! I think you'll have great results.
    Netherlands 2C/3A / Newbie: CG since 17.9.2008
    In search for the right products {aren't we all?}.
    Goal: long babylike shiny fairytale curls {so no gels that behave like gels}.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome! We're glad to have you!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • maisiemugwumpmaisiemugwump Posts: 89Registered Users
    Hi I am from Scotland and when I first decided to go CG I bought Naked Hydrating Conditioner and was most disappointed to find out that it had a silicone in it. I also purchased the shampoo and have used it a few times but find that it left my hair a bit dried out. So now I just co wash with Johnstons and use SheaM leave in conditioner and get much better results with that. :icescream: Welcome to the site it has great information and lots of really helpful experienced curlies.
    Maisiemugwump 3A

Mod CG

Low Poo Skin shop Dry Scalp shampoo and conditioner ..

Leave in Anita Grant Whipped Butter
    Styling Boots Curl Creme, AVG ,CK Anita Grant Cafe Latte .

Wanting to try EVERYTHING lol ok Donna Marie Honey and Aloe Gel, KCCC, KCKT KBB leave in conditioner

Occasionally using Rhassoul Clay :angel5:
  • ural0000ural0000 Posts: 114Registered Users
    ....huh.
    I thought the Naked stuff was free of petrochemicals, but looking through the ingreds....you're right. Damn. That's quite annoying.
    Will still try the shampoo and treatment, though, they seem to be fine.
    Any other UK products you've come across that would be CG compatible?

Low-poo:
    • Naked Rescue or Care
    Conditioners:
    Stylers:
  • maisiemugwumpmaisiemugwump Posts: 89Registered Users
    Hi there

I use Boots Curl creme alongside CK which I got from the swap board and I also use aloe vea gel scrunched in underneath it on sopping wet hair it only works with me on soaking hair. A lot of UK curlies use Original Source conditioners and I am sure that Boots own make conditioners are CG safe. At the moment I am on Ebay trying to find the much talked about Giovanni Leave in Conditioner. I recently purchased SheaM leave in conditioner from a UK site and its great just have to be careful not to use too much I find it can leave my hair a bit sticky.
    Maisiemugwump 3A

Mod CG

Low Poo Skin shop Dry Scalp shampoo and conditioner ..

Leave in Anita Grant Whipped Butter
    Styling Boots Curl Creme, AVG ,CK Anita Grant Cafe Latte .

Wanting to try EVERYTHING lol ok Donna Marie Honey and Aloe Gel, KCCC, KCKT KBB leave in conditioner

Occasionally using Rhassoul Clay :angel5:
  • ural0000ural0000 Posts: 114Registered Users
    ...just checked - the silicone in my Naked Detox conditioner is a water soluble silicone (dimethicone copolyol).
    Does that make it an "ok" silicone or should watersoluble silicones be avoided as well?

Any opinions?

Low-poo:
    • Naked Rescue or Care
    Conditioners:
    Stylers:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file