Hair issues - please way in!

OldSoulOldSoul Registered Users Posts: 268
I am experiencing an unusually high level of dryness. I just took out extension kinky twists and the texture of my hair is awful. By texture, I mean how it feels when I touch it. I also have no curl definition and almost no sheen (it existed before (sortof a mix between the 3c & 4a pics on the blended beauty site).

By the roots and maybe about 2 - 3 inches down, my hair is smooth. The ends are rough, hard and sorta raised (sorta like you are going down a mountain, then experience bumpy terrain, with random elevation). I have trimmed (read cut) about 2 inches off thinking that this is split ends. The ends were smooth the first day, then the went back to rough/hard/raised status.

My thought is that this is lack of moisture. I have been co washing, and I think that helped.

I had the twists for about a month, and I sprayed them with braid spray and infusium 23 mixed. I used ORS herbal cleanser to clean my scalp.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
The poster formerly known as JCrysy
:::::::::::::::::
Mostly 4a-} OS spongy

Current faves: Trader Joe's Nourish, Suave Color Care Co, Abba Nourishing, FOTE AVG, Taliah Waajid mist bodifier

Comments

• DocDoc Registered Users Posts: 367
    You know JCrysy this still sounds like a moisture problem to me. I would recommend an over night deep conditioning treatment on DRY HAIR (some call it a pre poo treatment). I'd take a good deep conditioner (whichever you like best) and to it add a few tablespoons of at least two oils such as:avocado, coconut, jojoba,olive etc.. and a big dollop of honey. (You can also add your favorite EO'S as well.) Mix well and then warm in the microwave 12 seconds NO LONGER to avoid burning yourself. Then slather the mixture throughout your dry hair and scalp. Apply a plastic cap and a scarf over that.
    After a good night's sleep wash out and then check the status of your hair.
    I think the prolonged application will help to replinish the moisture. It could be that prolonged contact of your hair with the extentions may have led to the extreme moiture loss.
    I hope this helps; keep us posted. :D
    Dense kinky-curly; healthy and growing strong!
  • CheleighCheleigh Registered Users Posts: 552
    Doc wrote:
    You know JCrysy this still sounds like a moisture problem to me. I would recommend an over night deep conditioning treatment on DRY HAIR (some call it a pre poo treatment). I'd take a good deep conditioner (whichever you like best) and to it add a few tablespoons of at least two oils such as:avocado, coconut, jojoba,olive etc.. and a big dollop of honey. (You can also add your favorite EO'S as well.) Mix well and then warm in the microwave 12 seconds NO LONGER to avoid burning yourself. Then slather the mixture throughout your dry hair and scalp. Apply a plastic cap and a scarf over that.
    I think the prolonged application will help to replinish the moisture. It could be that prolonged contact of your hair with the extentions may have led to the extreme moiture loss.

ITA. I discovered that my hair doesn't like extentions. My hair was a disaster after I took them out after six weeks (maybe if I'd soaked them to remove the alkaline base like the gal in the crown and glory method does, it would have been better). I agree with Doc's suggestions. I do my CW's twice weekly (ideally) just like she suggests above as a DT.

Also, to add more moisture, I:
    -spritz my hair twice daily with my homemade moisture. I just added molasses to my moisture spritz this week and it has really added even more moisture to my hair. When needing extra moisture, at night, I sleep with a plastic bag on my head. I also have a humidifier to add moisture into the hair/air while I sleep.
    Natural pics: http://picturetrail.com/shelacious
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
  • OldSoulOldSoul Registered Users Posts: 268
    Thanks guys! Of course I have questions:

Doc: The only deep conditioner that I have on hand is lekairs cholesterol plus. Other than that, I have regular conditioners (TJ Nourish, Suave humectant, biobasics, color care). Would any of these work or what would you reccommend?

Cheleigh: Thanks for the humidifier suggestion! I didn't even consider that and the heat in my apartment stays on hell LOL (I can't control the temperature). What are you using in your moisture concoction?

Many, many thanks!!!
    Mostly 4a-} OS spongy

Current faves: Trader Joe's Nourish, Suave Color Care Co, Abba Nourishing, FOTE AVG, Taliah Waajid mist bodifier
  • CheleighCheleigh Registered Users Posts: 552
    JCrysy wrote:
    Thanks guys! Of course I have questions:

Doc: The only deep conditioner that I have on hand is lekairs cholesterol plus. Other than that, I have regular conditioners (TJ Nourish, Suave humectant, biobasics, color care). Would any of these work or what would you reccommend?

Cheleigh: Thanks for the humidifier suggestion! I didn't even consider that and the heat in my apartment stays on hell LOL (I can't control the temperature). What are you using in your moisture concoction?

Many, many thanks!!!

I won't answer for Doc, but I use whatever I have handy (I actually just mix random conditioners)--the keys are to mix the conditioner with an oil (I use EVOO) and a humectant (I use molasses) and to heat it and apply to dry hair and add heat (I use a mylar heating cap because dryer heat dries out my hair). I also leave on a minimum of an hour.

Cheleigh's moisture mixture:
    (Usually just eyeballed, but I do have actual measurements somewhere):
    -Filtered water, mixed with a bit of molasses, heated (to disolve the molasses)
    -Aloe vera juice (the kind you can drink)
    -Veggie glycerine (1T)
    -Jojoba or avocado oil (maybe 1t)
    -About 10 drops of peppermint, sage, rosemary and/or lavender EOs)

The heat from my heater is murder on my hair (and skin) too, hence the humdifier.
    Natural pics: http://picturetrail.com/shelacious
    pw: kinky
    Hair type: Spongy & kinky texture. Coily & curly strands.
  • TroDousTroDous Registered Users Posts: 241
    Doc wrote:

This works wonderfully!! I do this anytime my hair feels extra dry (after a day in the sun, twists, etc.)
    Coily, springy, major shrinkage!
    I agree with all of the other suggestions for the conditioner.
    You can use whatever conditioner you like, deep or otherwise, the key is to add the other ingredients to it and the prolonged application.
    Good luck :D
  • OldSoulOldSoul Registered Users Posts: 268
    I am forever greatful for this site and especially you guys! I did the treatment last night using Suave biobasics co, coconut oil, and honey. It really brought my hair back to life. I wish I would have asked you all before I cut it, but all is well. Thanks for your suggestions and support!
    Mostly 4a-} OS spongy

JCrysy, I'm so happy everything turned out well for you! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file