Overnight stay in the ER - bad carrot, bad!

SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
My 19 month old son was snacking while I was getting ready to make dinner Tuesday night, I gave him a baby carrot (which I've done many times before) and a moment later he was coughing, gagging, crying... I took him out of the high chair and put him across my lap and gave him a few palm strikes between the shoulders. Nothing came out.

He cried a gagged for a few more minutes and finally calmed down. I was ready to call 911 but he was able to breath the whole time. Shortly thereafter when everything seemed normal, I heard him wheezing and squeeking while he was trying to play.

Though it was almost bedtime, I just wasn't comfortable putting him down to sleep. I had concerns of something happening to him at night and I ended up taking him to a children's hopsital ER at 8:00. Serveral hours later, a xray showed one lunch was not inflated as large as the other and it was hazy from mucus. Surgery ended at 2:30 am and the doctor presented us with the large pea-sized carrot chunk that had wedged itself into the right main brochial tube.

DS was doing well and in recovery, and I stayed with him until they finally let him go about 1:30 pm yesterday. He's still a bit tired (we all are) and he's appetite is a bit smaller, but he's doing well and now I'm ready to go back to jarred baby food!

Just be careful parents!
Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Cripes, that's scary. He may have been able to cough it out eventually, but I think you did a good thing taking him in. Glad he's OK.

COOKED carrots.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    oh how scary! My little one thinks she's grown and tries to eat everything. The number of times she's gagged on something -- I can't count!

Bad carrot but Good mommy - you went with your intuition! Sorry he had to have surgery but I'm glad he's ok!

Get some rest !
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    Oh wow!! I'm so glad everything is okay. Get lots of rest.
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    Cripes, that's scary. He may have been able to cough it out eventually, but I think you did a good thing taking him in. Glad he's OK.

COOKED carrots.

Yea, I know I know. Just until recently he only had 6 front teeth, and he just scraped everything. His premolars popped up in the last 2 weeks and now he's biting and breaking things off with them that I didn't worry about before.

If there is a good side, the raw carrot was much easier to extract then an cooked one that would have been too mushy or broken off when grabbed. The doctor that extracted it said many times softer food are actually harder to get out.
  • webjockeywebjockey Registered Users Posts: 2,786
    That is scary! I'm glad everything worked out ok.
    hello.world.
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    dp
  • PEILadyPEILady Registered Users Posts: 9
    How scarry and so glad your little one is ok now. Mine are 8 and 4 and I still check on them all the time at night. And I am shocked this never happened to them, because keeping things out of their mouths was near impossible!!!
    Curl type: 3A--I think :wink:

Currently using: Suave Cocoanut conditioner and twist and curls Herbal Essence Gel

Newbee here-40years and no one knew how to help my hair. Finally have help :toothy7:
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Spider wrote: »

COOKED carrots.

Yea, I know I know. Just until recently he only had 6 front teeth, and he just scraped everything. His premolars popped up in the last 2 weeks and now he's biting and breaking things off with them that I didn't worry about before.

If there is a good side, the raw carrot was much easier to extract then an cooked one that would have been too mushy or broken off when grabbed. The doctor that extracted it said many times softer food are actually harder to get out.

True...but they're also less likely to get choked on. Those hard pieces can kind of "shock" the throat when they hit, causing the choking to begin with. Soft foods are much more likely to slip down the right tube when swallowed before properly chewed.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    Oh, how scary! I'm so glad your little guy is on the mend. Good call listening to your mom-instincts!
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Registered Users Posts: 1,767
    Wow - talk about frightening!! I'm so glad he's going to be ok. Thank you for sharing this - Mine is still very young, but it's never too soon to learn about these things.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    My worst fear! Mine eats everything and I am always scared of choking. My husband thinks I am overreacting. He has 16 teeth and loves to eat Crackers, toast, baby carrots, Tortilla chips,etc. I have had a tortilla chip slide down my throat & scratch it real bad & i am always worried it will happen to him.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    Wow so glad you followed your mother's intuition.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Glad everything is okay A~
    We had a scare at about 2 weeks... and I still have my knee jerk reaction from it! lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file