Type 2b - is there hope for athletes?

drb2011drb2011 Posts: 2Registered Users
I just stumbled across this website - what a gem! I've had unruly (ie, big!) hair my entire life, and had just accepted it (ie, gotten good at frenchbraids and buns!). Now, having read about the different methods of controlling the curls, I have a few questions.

I do triathlons in my 'free time,' and as such do a LOT of working out -- so my poor hair gets saturated with salt water, chlorine, pond water, and lots of sweat. I simply CANNOT avoid washing it / shampooing it ... can I? Am currently shampooing and conditioning almost daily, using a leave-in conditioner, but I would LOVE to have the smooth healthy curls that I've seen on this site. I also live in a very, very humid climate.

In short, is it possible for an athlete with curls to NOT have the dreaded frizz? My hair simply gets too gross to not shampoo it!

Would sincerely appreciate any feedback!

-Beth

Comments

• rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    Dont know if this helps, but I run or weight train 6 days a week. I SWEAT, like dripping, soaked hair sweat.

I have been CG since May 1 of this year and my hair is absolutely always clean. Never greasy, dirty or gunky. I either co wash or use a shower cap and rescrunch my dry hair when I get out of the shower.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    rudeechick wrote: »
    Dont know if this helps, but I run or weight train 6 days a week. I SWEAT, like dripping, soaked hair sweat.

I have been CG since May 1 of this year and my hair is absolutely always clean. Never greasy, dirty or gunky. I either co wash or use a shower cap and rescrunch my dry hair when I get out of the shower.

I run or train 4-5 days a week. I'm not a glower as much as my grandmother wanted me to be - I'm a bonafide sweat-er.

I only wash my hair once a week. My hair doesn't smell or look dirty. I have people I trust give me the sniff test. Like rudee, I also use a shower cap to keep water off my hair.

As an aside, if you're a 2B, you might benefit from some additional volume from the natural oils that get released.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    As a wavy you can use a sulfate free shampoo. The co-washing does get your hair clean though.
  • drb2011drb2011 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Okay, I'll give the CG 'no-poo' method a try. Thanks for the advice! So now I feel fairly confident my hair will be clean and 'not smelly' - any recommendations for chlorine and salt water damage?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file