more questions about going CG

First, I have been using a 'cones and maybe sulfate shampoo, but not on my length of hair. dont want to buy anymore products till i finish this off, and till im absolutely sure about this. I only poo my scalp, then CO. no CO-washes.

i have this Samy Pure stuff (poo and CO) and it says sulfate free on the shampoo bottle, but not CO. I didNT see that there WAS sulfate in the conditioner, but it didnt specify. I also didnt see 'cones which is good...are they going to be under different names, or just ____ silicone?

also, if i am going to be shampooing my scalp, should i do this every time?
should i do any co-washes if i am going to be using shampoo?

also what is low-poo? this maybe a good alternative for me.

thanks in advance!!
--xxmisschrisxx
3a since going CG!
CG on 10/12/08. free of cones, sulfates, and shampoo! added shampoo bars 1/80/09.
using:
shampoo bars (wind blossom)
condish - burts bees super shiny
styling - confused and running out of products. TRYING LOOB!
trying: tweek...barely.
WAITING to try: Melting Gel...resisting the urge to become a PJ...kind of...
Dislikes: molasses and CK :( so unfortunately...

Comments

• xxmisschrisxxxxmisschrisxx Registered Users Posts: 223
    also check out my signature, and answer those questions if possible? thanks!
    --xxmisschrisxx
    3a since going CG!
    CG on 10/12/08. free of cones, sulfates, and shampoo! added shampoo bars 1/80/09.
    using:
    shampoo bars (wind blossom)
    condish - burts bees super shiny
    styling - confused and running out of products. TRYING LOOB!
    trying: tweek...barely.
    WAITING to try: Melting Gel...resisting the urge to become a PJ...kind of...
    Dislikes: molasses and CK :( so unfortunately...
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    Oooooook *cracks knuckles* let's see if I can tackle this...

If you're going to use a shampoo, you are indeed doing it the 'correct' way. just use the shampoo on your roots to combat your dirt/greasiness, and avoid putting it on your ends which are typically drier and more damaged just because they're older hair.

There's no need for your to Co wash if you're using a shampoo. Co washes are just what the CGers use to clean their scalp... your shampoo should be taking care of that :)

You SHOULD however, use a nice, rich conditioner all over to combat the drying effects of the shampoo on your hair. You should try and use a conditioner that does not have silicones in it, as they can build up on hair and prevent moisture from getting into your strands.

There are various ingredients that are included in conditioners and styling products that can cause build up/frizz/general issues. These are silicones, mineral oil, petroleum and parrafin (as in the wax). To look for silicones in your products, read through the ingredients. Anything ending in -cone, -xane or -conol is a silicone, and should be avoided. The other trouble causing ingredients are listed by their name usually, and are easier to spot.

If you have no silicones/questionable materials in your conditioners and styling products, you PROBABLY don't need to shampoo every time you wash your hair. Maybe play around with co washing instead every other time... this might increase the moisture in your hair and make it happier :)

"Low poo" refers to shampoos WITHOUT sulfates (which is what it sounds like your shampoo is). it still has slightly harsher cleaning agents than what's found in CG conditioners, but they're not NEARLY as drying as traditional sulfate shampoos.

ETA: as for the questions in your sig...

Sunsilk products have a lot of silicones in them, typically. Have a look at the ingredients and see if you can spot them.

If your hair is dry or tangle-prone, a leave-in would definitely be a good idea. Some people even just put a pea-sized amount of their regular conditioner in as a leave-in and it works great.

Personally, I think everyone should give CG a try. You never know if it'll work unless you do :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file