New to this forum - need help/advice for my hair.

jeannie_bjeannie_b Posts: 73Registered Users
I've been on this site for a couple of years. I have a 6 year old girl with 3c hair. I've learned so much and have had her on a CG routine for quite a while now. Her hair is one of my biggest challenges, but I want her to love her hair, so I try really hard to keep it beautiful.

Then there is me. I've always blowdryed and straightened my hair. I feel like such a hypocrite, as I always talk to my daughter about loving and embracing her curls and I'd be devastated (sounds dramatic, but it's true) if she straightened her hair.

So, yesterday I took a chance and wore my hair natural. I got pretty good reviews, but I need help. Type 2 hair is SO much different than 3c hair. I have tons of product, but I don't really know how to use them in my hair or if I need other stuff. Also, I wonder if I need to cut some layers in my hair. I'd love any feedback.

Oh, also, I don't know that I can go completely CG, I tend to have a very dry scalp (live in the desert, literally) and have tried natural things, but only Head and Shoulders works. How embarrassing to admit that, but it's true. So, I'm not sure what to do about that.....

Anyway, here are my photos http://curlygirly.shutterfly.com/ .

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    You have very pretty hair! :D So glad to hear you're joining your daughter in embracing your curls.

I think you will find most wavies and curlies up to 3B get some form of layers in their hair. It promotes curl and reduces poufiness.

Head & Shoulders is a pretty harsh shampoo. Even hairdressers suggest not using it. Many people who have tried CG have found their flakiness or itchiness has disappeared. Part of the problem could be the sulphates causing your scalp to be very dry. CO washing might be just the thing to help regain your scalps natural balance. Brown sugar scrubs and lemon rinses can help with that.

I'm hoping some desert curlies will chime in to give you some more advice. I live on the coast so it's rarely below 50% humidity.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You should consider giving CG a try. Harsh shampoos usually contribute to dry itchy scalp. It may take your scalp 4 - 6 weeks to adjust, but the flakes may disappear, and your wavy curls may spring to life, too. Since you live in a dry climate, adding more moisture to your hair would help. If you give CG a try, I'll bet that you'll wonder why you waited so long!
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • jeannie_bjeannie_b Posts: 73Registered Users
    Thanks for reply, whatsercurl!

I can definitely try doing a CG thing and see if it helps my scalp.

I'll have to find a new stylist to cut layers. My current stylist absolutely refused to even try to help me wear my hair natural - she said it'd never work because the waves are so uneven. They are, she's right. :sad10:

As an aside, I tried a different routine/set of products today and I got a lot more curls than yesterday. Something is still not right with my bangs and the back doesn't look very good, but I think I need some well-placed layers in the back for it to look good.

Anyway, thanks. :)
  • jeannie_bjeannie_b Posts: 73Registered Users
    Well, I made an appt with a stylist who says he has 20 years experience specializing in curly hair. His hair is wavy, so he may know of what he speaks. I'm going for a consultation tomorrow. He said he'll be honest whether he'll be able to make my waves look good. I've been CG for over a week now and I'm not pleased with how my hair looks. :angry7:

Thanks, ewenique and whatshercurl for your thoughts. :)
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    It can take some time for your hair to adjust depending on its texture and its condition when you start CG.

Mine didn't really start to look better for about 6 weeks. Many find a difference much earlier.

Good luck with your consultation! :D
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file