Feeling very peri-menopausal right now

2»

Comments

• WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    In case you don't know about the site for all things peri and menopause related, here 'ya go. Maybe there will be some additional info. on that site that could help: http://www.power-surge.com/php/forums/ I've been in peri for over 10 years with no end in site. It's awful. I feel for you!

ETA: Sorry, I didn't realize I had posted this link already.
  • blyss_curlsblyss_curls Posts: 45Registered Users
    [html]Also, Suzanne Somers' book, Ageless saved my life. Breakthrough is her latest. I'm 50 and I've been on Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for 2 years.

I lost the weight, sleep 8 hours a night and no more night sweats. I won't even go into the moods things I was going through before. I thought I was losing my mind. Ladies, perimenopause can start in our early to mid-30s. I don't take any pharmaceuticals or OTCs either so what I put into my body is very important to me.

There are doctors out there who will help. You just have to find them. A good website to search for one is www.acam.org.

You don't have to suffer through perimenopause and be sick. The Ann Louise Gittleman books are excellent as well. Her Detox books helped me get started by giving me a great (and reasonable) way to detox my body before starting on this whole journey.

Sorry this was so long. This topic has become my passion...Good luck to you.[/html]

I can relate--I'm passionate about all of this, too! Nice to find a like-minded individual. :wave:

Thank you for the rec. on Suzanne Somers--I've got to read her books, as I continually hear how great they are!

Though I'm not officially 'perimenopausal' my symptoms definitely mimicked it. You have no idea how many conventional physicians tried to tell me I was "too young" at the time. My gut told me otherwise, and I got the Anne Louise book--which probably saved my life.

Because of her book, I ordered a saliva test and discovered what was deficient. If I had listened to ob/gyns--they would have given me bcp (which in my case would have exacerbated my symptoms).

From there I was able to find holistic people (a few md's, an np, etc.) that could help. A few years, dollars and doctors later, I'm finally on the path of recovery. I'm most thankful to the alternative and integrative medicine practitioners I found--oh and compounded bio-hrt. :blob5:

I'm so thankful to live in a time of "options"--choices that weren't available to female relatives before me.
  • EliciaElicia Posts: 881Registered Users
    i am having two periods a month right now with occasional spotting in - between . i want this to be over or at least start. If i am going to go into menopause then i want the peroids to stop damn it. I am 39 it would suck for it to go on for 10 more year :(
    :binky::roll::eye:
    national anthem for self-pity :binky:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawR7VYNdNg
  • raynegirlraynegirl Posts: 2Registered Users
    I spent the past two years with symptoms ranging from digestive problems to hot flashes to "dry eye syndrome"...and irregular periods which began skipping months, 9 months in fact.
    I had asked every doctor, including my OBGYN, what the root cause might be (other than stress). No one had an answer, in fact, they looked at me like I was speaking venusarian or something; even my OBGYN said not to worry about it.
    I went to a talk given by a nutritionist and she said low progestrone was the key. Turns out that almost everything we come into contact with in our modern society is seen by the body as estrogen.
    Anyway, I won't bore you but will suggest you find a copy of "What your Doctor may not tell you about Premenopause" written by John R. Lee, M.D. Awesome book, great info, very easy to understand.
    Me? I started a program which includes a natural progestrone cream made by Life-Flo. It is a measured dosage and is applied twice daily like lotion. You can check them out at www.life-flo.com.
    After 16 days of using the cream I had my first menstual cycle in a year! I've been using it for three months now and am not yet regulated but I feel better knowing I have a better understanding of my body and a natural tool to help myself.
    Low progestrone causes all sorts of medical problems in both men and women; its worth educating ourselves about it, hopefully sooner than later.
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00700/menopause-symptoms

Nutrition and Supplements - Herbs for Menopause
    Try the following natural remedies and herbs for menopause:
    • Soy foods. The isoflavones in soy foods help balance hormone levels and have some estrogenic activity. There is ongoing research about the safety and efficacy of isolated soy isoflavone supplements. While the initial results look promising, we currently recommend using natural soy foods rather than supplements. Choose from tofu, soy milk, roasted soy nuts or tempeh.
    • Flaxseed. Substances called lignins in flaxseed are important modulators of hormone metabolism. Grind flaxseed daily in a coffee grinder at home and use 1 to 2 tablespoons a day.
    • Dong quai. Dong quai (Angelica sinensis) is known both in China and the West for its ability to support and maintain the natural balance of female hormones. It does not have estrogenic activity. This is one of the herbs for menopause that should not be taken if a woman is experiencing heavy bleeding.
    • Black cohosh (Cumicifuga racemosa). One of the best-studied traditional herbs herbs for menopause, black cohosh is used to help alleviate some symptoms of menopause, including hot flashes. Black cohosh seems to work by supporting and maintaining hormonal levels, which may lessen the severity of hot flashes. Many women report that the herb works well but it isn't effective for everyone. While any therapy that influences hormonal actions should be a concern, black cohosh does not appear to have estrogenic activity and thus may be safe for women with a personal or family history of breast cancer.
    • Vitamin E. A daily dose of 400 IUs of natural vitamin E (as mixed tocopherols and tocotrienols) can help alleviate symptoms of hot flashes in some menopausal women.
    • B vitamins. This group of water-soluble vitamins may help women deal with the stress of menopausal symptoms.
    • Evening primrose oil or black currant oil. These are sources of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), an essential fatty acid that can help influence prostaglandin synthesis and help moderate menopausal

Mar, as I think i mentioned before, I started having hot flashes and I got right on the black cohosh, vit B and E, and fish oil, and they stopped almost overnight. I do have occasional night sweats, but it's not bad. I'm going to add evening primrose because i've been hearing good things about that.
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file