Babies & antibiotics...

shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
So, my little one has green snot running out of his nose and a nasty cough. Everyone is wanting me to take him to the doctor b/c it looks like an infection. I am not a big fan of antibiotics b/c I think they are way over prescribed and will eventually wont work if overused. I don't want to run to the Dr. for meds all the time. So, I have a Vicks warm steam machine gogin at night with a drop of the solution. I also used the Vicks Baby Rub - just a dab on his PJs b/c he has really sensitive skin so I don't usually put much ON him. My mom said that if I make him comfortable and ease the symptoms, the body can usually heal itself of infection. Any other suggestions/thoughts? Am I horrible for not taking him to the doc? Should I just suck it up & go get the prescription?
A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm on yours and your mom's side. I'm not one to run to the doctors with kids for every.single.snotty.nose. The immune system works pretty well, when it's allowed to. When you habitually pump it full of antibiotics, it gets screwed up. I let my kids have fevers (didn't give them tylenol unless they were really uncomfortable), because fever is part of the immune system. I gave them supportive-only care, unless they were obviously really sick. My kids tend to be healthier than most...maybe because of the way I treated them when they were babies, maybe just luck. But I feel like trusting the body is the right thing to do in most cases of minor illness.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I'd skip the antibiotics and the doctor's visit unless something really seems out of the ordinary. Save the abx for the really serious infections.

Give him lots of fluids in addition to what you are already doing. A nice warm steamy shower will make him feel better also.
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Thanks guys! I feel a lot better knowing that I am not neglecting him by not taking him to the doctor!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    If he had a running fever I'd probably take him to the doc, but not for boogers.
    hello.world.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    Further to that, your baby might not even have an infection that is treatable by antibiotics. Mucous is just another way that the body gets rid of bugs that shouldn't be there. Just keep doing what you are doing and keep doing what you're doing. The nice thing about sick kids (at least for me) is that they tend to be a little more cuddly...I personally like that.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If it was going on for more than a couple of days, I would personally go to the doc. But then I trust our ped not to give him antibiotics if he doesn't have a bacterial infection. I'd also ask questions about what they do want to give him and why.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I wouldn't take him unless he was running a really high fever. Sounds like you're doing the right thing by keeping him comfy and the Vick's rub works wonders. I like the baby formula w/ the rosemary in it...it smells so much nicer than the straight-up mentholatum. Just keep that humidifier going and he'll be better soon!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote: »
    If it was going on for more than a couple of days, I would personally go to the doc. But then I trust our ped not to give him antibiotics if he doesn't have a bacterial infection. I'd also ask questions about what they do want to give him and why.

This is me too. I love that our family doctor doesn't routinely treat ear infections with antibiotics, unless it's a recurring or lingering infection. She also had the wonderful suggestion to give him some probiotic with his medicine, which helped prevent stomach upset.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    webjockey wrote: »
    If he had a running fever I'd probably take him to the doc, but not for boogers.

i second that.

majerle had a few bouts with the green snot before and her pediatrician basically said use the booger sucker/salin drops for her nose and put a humidifier in her room at night and let it run its course.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with everyone else.
    I'd add to watch him for signs of an ear infection, prop his mattress up a little bit so he sleeps on a slant and the mucous can drain better at night.
    When my kids were your son's age I also gave them a spoonful of cod liver oil and chewable vitamin C to help the body fight the cold (or whatever it is).
    If he runs a fever for more than 3-5 days (depending on your comfort level), go to the doctor.
    ((hugs)) for you and baby because I know it's hard to care for a sick little one.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • akilamoniqueakilamonique Posts: 302Registered Users
    My son is two years old and has never been on antibiotics. In the past when I've been sick my Dr. has told me that I should come in if I am expelling anything that is not clear. With that said I would take my son to the Dr. if he was expelling anything that was not clear.
    Also keep in mind that just because you take your son to the Doctor doesn't mean you have to take his word as "God". You are still his parent, and don't have to go with what he says.
    ACV Rinse 2-3 times a week
    Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    Curly Kinks: Satin Root, Coil Jam
    Castor oil on scalp
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm with everyone else. I've only taken Chas to the doctor for extremly high fever (103, 104)...usually associated with ear infection or if the infection seems to be in his chest and he can't breathe.

He's had green boogers on and off...with allergies. I refuse to take him to the doctor just for that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file