First ovulation and period after baby - questions

AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
I'm wondering what it feels like to begin ovulating again after baby, while nursing. I haven't had my period yet but I think I may have ovulated. I thought that once before at 2-3 months, but I have been having unbelievable pain that I can only put down to O. I have been crampy and bloated since Saturday, and had a period of sharp pains for a few hours that kept me awake on Saturday night curled up on the floor, and then again yesterday afternoon to the point that I could barely walk and was almost in tears - and I have a high pain tolerance. It's similar to how I think ovulation used to feel (it's been almost 2 years) but, although O has always been painful for me, this was really intense pain - far, far worse than labour! If not O, I don't know what else it could be - it's really low in my body around the bikini line.

If I am ovulating, I guess it is because JJ now nurses less in the day due to school (I'm off unexpectedly today but usually in school all day) and eats solids, but he still nurses constantly all evening and night, and I thought night nursing affected fertility the most. (some nursings while he is awake are also quite short these days, but still long at night.) Has anyone else had fertility return from reducing day but not night nursing? I also see that 13-14 months pp is the average time for nursing mothers to have fertility return even if they nurse round the clock.

What are periods like when they return? (I know the answer will vary from person to person but I'm curious, because I always have painful periods, but if that was O, I am scared of the pain!) How long after the first O do they come back? I read that often the first couple of cycles are anovulatory when fertility comes back after a longer time, but if I felt that pain, I must be fertile. I also keep track of cervical fluid and I did and do have a little, but nothing like what I used to - is that normal too? I'm very thankful there is no risk of pregnancy from these past few days because it is really hard to tell what is going on! What are peoples' experiences with the timing of their cycles while nursing?

Also, what is nursing like during menstruation? If that was O, it didn't seem to affect JJ. In a way, I'll be glad if I am fertile again because it will be easier to track things and I'll be able to try for #2 when I'm ready, but I'm also hoping it's a false alarm and there's some other explanation.
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Comments

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    My first couple of periods were much lighter and less crampy than before. Unfortunately, because my cycles are so irregular, now when I get my period, it's awful.

I didn't notice ovulation being any more or less crampy than before. I always get a little bit of dull pain, but it's way less painful than menstrual cramps. I think I got my first period about 6 weeks after Danae stopped nursing (yup, she weaned herself. She liked regular food too much...LOL).
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    I've never had extremely painful periods or ovulation. I can feel O, but it's a mild twinge of pain pretty much where you described.

I haven't gotten my periods back yet this time, but I think I might have felt O the other day. I'm nursing almost exclusively--I'm at work for a couple hours 4 days a week, when he takes a bottle of EBM, and he nurses plenty at night.

With Connor, it happened when he was 3-4 months old, and it was about a month after I went back to work (I was pumping there). He was still nursing at night, but had started sleeping 6-8 hours at night. My periods went back to being about the same (duration, length of cycle, etc.).

Your description of the pain sounds really intense for ovulation. I would consider getting checked out by the doctor to rule out something like a cyst, endometriosis, etc.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,904
    Amneris, have you ever gotten your painful periods checked out?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    You have to know that it's not normal to have such extremely painful ovulation and periods. I don't think anyone can predict what abnormal periods will feel like when they return, because they're...well...abnormal, not of the norm.

You really should see a doctor about that pain, because I doubt message board info is going to help you.
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    when my period returned, it was lighter and shorter than normal. it wasnt on time either. it was several days late or several days early. pre baby i always had heavy, 7 day periods that came every 28 days. very predictable. i got my period a few months post partum and just last month things have started to go back to being the predictable, on time, heavy, 7 day period. i was nursing up until majerle turned 12 months so im guessing that had an effect on its timing and duration. nursing during menstruation never seemed to have an effect on majerle at all.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Registered Users Posts: 2,904
    You have to know that it's not normal to have such extremely painful ovulation and periods. I don't think anyone can predict what abnormal periods will feel like when they return, because they're...well...abnormal, not of the norm.

You really should see a doctor about that pain, because I doubt message board info is going to help you.

I would be getting my a$$ to the dr. ASAP if my periods were worse than what labor felt like, because that was the worst pain that I have ever felt.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Curl Neophyte
    I used to have really painful O also although I wouldn't say it was worse than labor. :) I did have it checked out, and they didn't find anything, but I do think it's worth a trip to the doctor if you haven't done that before.

Post-baby, I think I might have felt O before my first period, but if so, it wasn't anything like the pain I used to have. I wasn't sure if it was that or if it was a sore stomach from trying to get that tummy tight again. :wink:
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    I've never felt myself O so I can't help you there, but my periods are different now than they were before I had my second child.

After baby #1, I got my period once, which was normal, then I got pregnant again.

I don't know if it's because I had all those clots in my uterus or what but ever since I had Sophia the blood is much thinner and more watery, and there is more of it. It lasts a little longer too. My cramps and other PMS symptoms are about the same though.

Have you had any EWCM or other signs of O?
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • M2LRTooM2LRToo Registered Users Posts: 446
    FieryCurls wrote: »

I would be getting my a$$ to the dr. ASAP if my periods were worse than what labor felt like, because that was the worst pain that I have ever felt.

Absolutely. If I were in this much pain just from thinking I ovulated, I would be seeing a doctor very quickly. Amneris, I thought you referred to your labor as "not that bad, a lot like period cramps"...so I am confused as to your description of the pain. In any case, if it was this bad, then I would see someone.

Anyways, my periods after child birth were different only in the way that they are (TMI approaching) more "flowy." They still only last two or three days at the most, but it's a pretty constant flow the entire time. My ovulation isn't much different, but I can tell when it happens. I get really bloaty and heart-burny around the time, but it's not painful...more annoying.

ITA that you probably aren't going to find much help on message boards, esp. if you're in that much pain and discomfort.
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    Also, have you been temping and charting since JJ was born? That should tell you if you've O'd, even while you're breastfeeding. (That is, I think it would; I need to get my copy of TCOYF back from a girlfriend.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file