My CG trial is not going great so far...

I have been trying CG for 2 weeks now. I went through my cabinet and donated all my cones and sulfates! My hair is just not responding well at all. I did my 2nd co-wash today ( 2 co-washes, and 1 brown sugar scrub so far) and my hair is greasy and stringy. I got so fed up with it this morning I put it up. I just wanted to know if this is normal and will go away or if i'm doing something wrong? Maybe I need to go low-poo. All I know is my day one hair is like some horrible day 4 hair! Also how do you know if your hair is protein sensitive? Please help guys!

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    Hello :)

Sometimes it takes people several weeks for their hair to adjust to not using shampoo... It's possible your hair just falls under that category. That being said though, there ARE some people who just need some kind of shampoo and there's nothing wrong with that either. I'd give the CG another couple of weeks if you can stand it... and if it doesn't improve, maybe look into low-poos that don't have sulfates. They should be enough to clean your hair without drying it out very badly.

I'm happy to try and help you trouble shoot in the mean time though :) What type of hair do you have? And what products have you been using (and how often)?
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    Are you saying you've been CG for two weeks and have only co-washed twice? Definitely increase your co-wash! Very few people co-wash only once a week. The normal amount seems to be 2-3 times a week, but you should be doing it more often if you are just starting out.

When I first started, I tried going 2-3 times a week but my hair was very greasy. I switched to every other day and that helped a lot.

You're probably experiencing build-up from not washing as much. Did you clarify before starting? What products do you use?
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • lizzieb2310lizzieb2310 Registered Users Posts: 31
    I have 3a/b hair. My hair did respond well to the brown sugar scrub! After shampooing my hair gets so itchy and lots of dandruff. The scrub was like a miracle, but I need to do a good clarifying rinse. Any suggestions? Some of the products that I was sure was good for my hair had hidden cones (yikes) so maybe i'm just getting build up??? Right now I am using Elucsense cond for co-wash, and AOHR for cond. I want to switch to burts bees for co-wash soon. I just got 2 new products: tightly wound, and CW- big waves defining cream. My hair does not like gels. I also ordered CK!!!! waiting, waiting... Oh yeah how do I get the thing at the bottom of my post about what type hair I am and what products I'm using? I just can't seem to figure it out! Thanks for all the help.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Registered Users Posts: 3,482 Curl Neophyte
    hmm... well, if you were using products with cones in them, I'd go ahead and do another clarifying shampoo just to get everything out and start fresh.

If you're looking for a good clarifyig rinse that's CG, you can either use Apple Cidar Vinegar (ACV on here) diluted in water or baking soda diluted in water. Baking soda is a little more 'hardcore' and if you use it, you HAVE to use ACV afterwards. The baking soda basically opens the cuticles of your hair and you'll need the ACV to close them.

ETA: almost forgot... for the signature, go to "User CP" up at the top, and find the "Edit Signature" link on the left hand side :)

Also, it's really possible that the conditioners you're using are just too rich to use as both a cowash AND a conditioner. Maybe try Suave or V05. they have a lot of cone free, light weight conditioners that a lot of people on here use for cowashing.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • CurlyCurlyGirlCurlyCurlyGirl Registered Users Posts: 11
    When I first started I did a co-wash every other day and a water wash on the inbetween days. After 1 1/2-2 weeks I was able to start stretching it out longer. Now I'm doing a co-wash about once a week and still doing a water wash on the inbetween days.

Also I would suggest keeping it simple for starters. I started with just 2 products: Suave condish and a gel.

Now that I'm several weeks into it I've started experimenting with different conditioners and my technique (how long I leave the condish on, how I dry my hair, etc.). That way if something isn't working I know right away what I did. Once I figure out which condish I like best I plan to experiment with different gels.

Good luck :)
  • lizzieb2310lizzieb2310 Registered Users Posts: 31
    Thanks for all the help. I did shampoo today to get all the cones out that might have been there! So off to a fresh start! Have to go pick up some suave now. Thanks again and I will let you guys now how it is going in a couple of weeks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file