Expanding CG concepts to skincare?

MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
I had something of an epiphany over the last few weeks. For weeks now I've been doing basically the CG chant: No 'cones, no sulfates. The one makes the other unnecessary.

Suddenly it hit me like a ton of bricks (ok, I'm a little slow...): No 'cones, no sulfates!! Not just on my hair, but on my skin!! For three years or so I've mostly been into mineral makeup anyhow, but I've continued to use other products with silicones on my skin... concealors, moisturizers, etc. Without a second thought.

So I've been wanting to stop using my Olay cleanser, which has a sulfate in it, but from experience I knew I'd break out. Once I realized I should only use a sulfate cleanser when I've used a silicone on my skin, I became much happier. I bought a sulfate-free cleanser and a silicone free moisturizer.

Of course there's no way to know how this is going to pan out for a couple of weeks, but so far so good. Silicones never did any good to keep my oil at bay anyhow.
"And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
Stolen.

Comments

• Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Definitely no 'cones or sulfates on my face, either. They say silicones won't break you out, but, personally speaking, I beg to differ. I love using natural oils to prevent excess oil, and for cleansing (my OCM does have an emulsifier, though). I also like PSF castille cleanser and some of the CV bars. They are all non-irritating, but cleanse thoroughly...no sulfates necessary :). Good luck with your continued experimentation!
  • rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Posts: 910Registered Users
    I recently started a thread asking about Bare Minerals makeup. Last night I started to think about the makeup I do use which is Covergirl. I read the ingredients and to my surprise...it contains cones'. I can't believe I never realized this sooner.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    My cystic acne cleared up substantially when I quit using a moisturizer that contained silicones. I also quit using Cetaphil (gentle enough for babies!) that contains sulphates and a lot of my facial redness went away. Same with body products - no silicones, no sulphates and my eczema improved. Go figure!
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am in the no-sulfates-on-the-face camp, but I expand it to no detergents at all, and also no high-pH soaps. I do use a makeup primer that has silicones though and that doesn't seem to cause me any problems...just makes my makeup stay on better and look smoother.
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    The sunscreens I prefer all have silicones, but it hasn't been a problem. I wash it off with a cleansing oil.
    Eres o te haces?
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I am in the no-sulfates-on-the-face camp, but I expand it to no detergents at all, and also no high-pH soaps. I do use a makeup primer that has silicones though and that doesn't seem to cause me any problems...just makes my makeup stay on better and look smoother.

How does one determine what other ingredients are detergents? Sulfates are (theoretically) easy to pinpoint (I say theoretically because I just double checked the label on the cleanser I've been using and sure as sh!&, there's a sulfate), but what other things should we be watchful of?
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
    Definitely no 'cones or sulfates on my face, either. They say silicones won't break you out, but, personally speaking, I beg to differ. I love using natural oils to prevent excess oil, and for cleansing (my OCM does have an emulsifier, though). I also like PSF castille cleanser and some of the CV bars. They are all non-irritating, but cleanse thoroughly...no sulfates necessary :). Good luck with your continued experimentation!

I agree, the idea that cones won't break you out is bull hooey. I used a MMU that had silica in it and it cause breakouts. I can't use primers that contain silicones. Maybe they won't break most people out, but my skin and I ain't most. If I've learned anything, I've learned that.

I haven't mastered the oils-to-prevent-oil thing. Mostly I think it's a time constraint issue. I know oils take time to soak in and need to in order to work properly, and I just don't have tht kind of time in the mornings. I am not a morning person.
    Stolen.
  • mysteryflavoredmysteryflavored Posts: 1,271Registered Users Curl Novice

I agree, the idea that cones won't break you out is bull hooey. I used a MMU that had silica in it and it cause breakouts. I can't use primers that contain silicones. Maybe they won't break most people out, but my skin and I ain't most. If I've learned anything, I've learned that.

I haven't mastered the oils-to-prevent-oil thing. Mostly I think it's a time constraint issue. I know oils take time to soak in and need to in order to work properly, and I just don't have tht kind of time in the mornings. I am not a morning person.

Just to clarify, silica and silicones are two very different things.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte

How does one determine what other ingredients are detergents? Sulfates are (theoretically) easy to pinpoint (I say theoretically because I just double checked the label on the cleanser I've been using and sure as sh!&, there's a sulfate), but what other things should we be watchful of?

There are some easy-to-spot ones, but if I don't recognize an ingredient, I look it up. Google is my friend.
  • sexyjacksparrowsexyjacksparrow Posts: 439Registered Users
    It kinda makes sense if you're ditching cones and suplhates because of a bad effect they have on your hair and scalp.

I still use cones in skincare, but then I'm not CG for my hair. I do include a lot more natural products in both m,y skin and hair routine now than I used to though.
    [FONT=&quot]UK curly - mostly 2c[/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Going back to basics![/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Happily using a mixture of sulphates, cones and CG products.
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=&quot]Permanently undecided whether to cut or grow![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Currently loving:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Lush I Love Juicy shampoo
    Charles Worthington frizz smoothing conditioner[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Superdrug coconut & almond intensive conditioner[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Montagne Jeunesse avocado & cherry bark mask[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Umberto Giannini curl gel
    Boots 'pink' curl creme
    [/FONT]

Just to clarify, silica and silicones are two very different things.

Um... yeah. Thanks, I'm a moron.
    Stolen.
  • JillH410JillH410 Posts: 594Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ok so this is going to be a really dumb question, but is a sulfate ANYTHING that ends in -ate on the ingredients list? :confused:
    cowash: Tresemme Naturals
    rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
    gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    JillH410 wrote: »
    Ok so this is going to be a really dumb question, but is a sulfate ANYTHING that ends in -ate on the ingredients list? :confused:

No, as far as I know they actually have "sulfate" in their name (ex, sodium laurel sulfate).
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't mind cones in a primer if I feel that I need it, which isn't that often.

I do avoid sulfates though.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file