CurlTalk

Signs that your hair is growing...

KinkyCurlyCoolKinkyCurlyCool Posts: 174Registered Users
Hi Ladies,
Last month (Aug 08), I took some measurements for my hair. Well, this month, I measured again and the measurements look like they are the same. I think my hair grows at least half an inch per month, so I was expecting a little visual difference. But I had nothing, if not shorter results :sad8: The crazy thing is, I know my hair is growing. For instance, when I put my hair in a pony tail, when I wrap my hand around my pony tail, last month, I used only one fist and 3 fingers. Now, this month, I can use 2 fists and my ends are exposed from the second fist. It's just a little frustrating or disappointing when I think it's growing but I can't tell...:sad8:

What are some of you tall tale signs of growth? Please share...
event.png

www.public.fotki.com/kinkycurlycool

current products:
homemade conditioners
homemade twist'n hold stuff(not quite a gel)
homemade moisturizers (water/glycerin)
jamila henna-quarterly use to stretch hair for length check
giovanni smooth as silk conditioner
creme of nature shampoo and conditioner

If u do what u always did; u will get what u always got... author unknown

Comments

• BabydollRingletsBabydollRinglets Posts: 205Registered Users
    Coloring my hair is a fun way to see new hair growth. On June 2008 , I dyed my hair a medium brown tone... Now, I see my natural hair color growing from the scalp (Probably 1 1/2in of growth.) I'm not planning to re-touch the roots. I'm actually trying to grow out the dyed color. I want virgin hair! lol

[NEXT] :blob7:
    3c/3b fine texture, normal density, high porosity

Shampoo: Devacare Low Poo, Devacare No Poo
    Conditioner: Devacare One Conditioner
    Leave-In: Devacare One Conditioner
    Oil: Grapeseed Oil
    Treatment: Coloful Protein Filler
    Gel: Eco Styler Argan Oil
  • KynnibKynnib Posts: 999Registered Users
    After i conditioner my hair I always braid it and let it dry overnight. I can tell when my hair is growing because my braids will be longer.
    4a hair. MOD CG routine.

Present Loves
    -Back on the (rajasthani) henna train! My hair is so much better now.
    -KBB hair butter mixed with Hairveda Cocasta oil
    -Spiral Solutions Deeply Decadent
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users
    I call that - fitting into your skinny jeans, yet the scale says you didn't lose a pound LOL

I know exactly what you mean. I also think that maybe hair grows uneven so maybe the bunch of hair that you measured could have been the wrong bunch to grab. Who knows.

I can tell my hair has grown by little things - this month I was finally able to part the front of my hair and slick it to the side, tuck it under my ears. I wasn't able to do that 2 months ago. My ponytails looks longer... I can do a longer and thicker braid... I guess its all about the milestones.
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Posts: 827Registered Users
    I can tell because my [2 small patches of] heat damage has new growth.
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMissKinkyCoily%2F" class="Popup : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
  • shakeshake Posts: 404Registered Users
    this sounds disgusting but it's the truth and i've seen it proven twice!

senior year of high school i got a bad case of dandruff for a few months...something that had never been a problem for me. EVER. i didn't kno what was wrong and i tried everything....tea tree oil, hair grease, sulfur 8 mixed with tea tree oil, dandruff shampoo, drinking lots of water. NOTHING was working. then one day it was just gone! shortly after that i had one of those moments when i was like damn my hair has grown back! ( i always had super long hair...got a perm one day in 9th grade..it started breaking off..aunt said i'll TRIM it for you but the finshed result was a CUT and so i was anxiously waiting for the length to return. and it did with a vengeance!! lol)

2 years later,shortly after i became the person who cared for his hair my boyfriend got dandruff like crazy. i was having to do simple styles so that it could be washed and re-done every few days. then one day it just stopped. we blamed it one a new hair grease i started using ("nature's blessing". still love it to this day!) his hair had grown significantly too!

then one day when he was visting home in dc his old hair braider said all the dandruff was just his hair growing at a really fast pace and the scalp wasn't prepared for it! isn't that weird???
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    My gray roots are a real good sign. However, my main metric is not growth, but length retention. I take good enough care of my health to ensure growth. But my ends are like fragile puff balls that can blow away in a stiff breeze, so that is where I focus.

I no longer measure. I'm going by where I feel my hair. At the back I feel it grazing the top of my shoulders.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CheekyfaCheekyfa Posts: 12Registered Users
    I can finally can tuck my hair behind my ears and when my hair is wet I can see some hang-time.
    BC 6-08-08
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fotki.com%2Fcheekyfa1" class="Popup
    pw: dance
    Updated w/ current hairstyle
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    Coloring my hair is a fun way to see new hair growth. On June 2008 , I dyed my hair a medium brown tone... Now, I see my natural hair color growing from the scalp (Probably 1 1/2in of growth.) I'm not planning to re-touch the roots. I'm actually trying to grow out the dyed color. I want virgin hair! lol

[NEXT] :blob7:

That's what I was planning to do with my hair to see it grow. Lighten a patch and measure the initial length plus the new growth. I agree with mariag about hair growing at different rates on different parts of your head. That's the way it is with my hair so I would rather measure what I think is the slowest growing part and let the other parts do what they do, since I don't want a lighter overall color.

I also think knowing the rate your hair grows you can better gauge length retention, which like SBB points out is what the main focus should be when trying to grow out fragile hair. It's been mentioned numerous times on this board how often people had to go for relaxer retouches but never seen the growth reflected in an increase in length.
  • jeamariajeamaria Posts: 1,851Registered Users
    shake wrote: »
    this sounds disgusting but it's the truth and i've seen it proven twice!

senior year of high school i got a bad case of dandruff for a few months...something that had never been a problem for me. EVER. i didn't kno what was wrong and i tried everything....tea tree oil, hair grease, sulfur 8 mixed with tea tree oil, dandruff shampoo, drinking lots of water. NOTHING was working. then one day it was just gone! shortly after that i had one of those moments when i was like damn my hair has grown back! ( i always had super long hair...got a perm one day in 9th grade..it started breaking off..aunt said i'll TRIM it for you but the finshed result was a CUT and so i was anxiously waiting for the length to return. and it did with a vengeance!! lol)

2 years later,shortly after i became the person who cared for his hair my boyfriend got dandruff like crazy. i was having to do simple styles so that it could be washed and re-done every few days. then one day it just stopped. we blamed it one a new hair grease i started using ("nature's blessing". still love it to this day!) his hair had grown significantly too!

then one day when he was visting home in dc his old hair braider said all the dandruff was just his hair growing at a really fast pace and the scalp wasn't prepared for it! isn't that weird???

Really? That is the first time I've heard of something like that! No wonder the traditional dandruff remedies wouldn't work.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    Coloring my hair is a fun way to see new hair growth. On June 2008 , I dyed my hair a medium brown tone... Now, I see my natural hair color growing from the scalp (Probably 1 1/2in of growth.)

thats how i can see my growth. or flat ironing. also when my curly hair looks super wide. shirnkage prevents it from looking long, but it definitely gets wider the longer it gets.
  • smo6767smo6767 Posts: 409Registered Users
    It is supposed to grow 1/2 an inch per month, and yeah it is so weird and annoying how you can tell something has grown (or shrunk) but measurments say otherwise. Sorry, i'm really just posting this to see my new signature!
    ICONATOR_bb56511c0b5e53f5d21289611d11a822.gif
  • Melanie_LinnMelanie_Linn Posts: 457Registered Users
    I grew an 1.75 inches in the last two months:laughing7:. The way i can tell besides measuring is my head drives me nuts. I get supper itchy but i don't really flake. I'm assuming that .75 is my winter average per month because the ;ast month cooled down and my hair slowed. I'll be happy with .5 and up per month though.:toothy7:
    3c/4aMCiii normal/low porosity med elasticty

Shampoo- JC Hydrating Invigorating poo, Alaffia Shea & Virgin Coconut Enriching Shampoo, CV poo bars
    Rinse out- Natures gate hemp, GSAS
    Leave in- GDLI, Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Leave in
    DT- Still working on that
    Styler- Ecostyler Crystal, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme
    Sealer- castor, Shea butter,jojoba oil

I don't know how well I'll keep it up, my blog The Lions Mane
  • KinkyCurlyCoolKinkyCurlyCool Posts: 174Registered Users
    Mariag and Jeamaria: That's a very good point about measuring the hair. I will have to use the fist method I mentioned earlier. Shrinkage can be very deceiving...
    event.png

www.public.fotki.com/kinkycurlycool

current products:
    homemade conditioners
    homemade twist'n hold stuff(not quite a gel)
    homemade moisturizers (water/glycerin)
    jamila henna-quarterly use to stretch hair for length check
    giovanni smooth as silk conditioner
    creme of nature shampoo and conditioner

If u do what u always did; u will get what u always got... author unknown
  • Mrs. NicoleMrs. Nicole Posts: 6Registered Users
    My cornrows are thicker when I braid the same amounts of hair prior to growth.
  • NickkiBCurlyNickkiBCurly Posts: 9Registered Users
    I know that my scalp is growing when my scalp itches like crazy but I have no dandruff at all. Also, my scalp feels tingly.:toothy4:
    I know that my scalp is growing when my scalp itches like crazy but I have no dandruff at all. Also, my scalp feels tingly.:toothy4:

I know what you're talking about! I used to think I was going crazy LOL Because it feels like you have bugs walking around your scalp :tongue2:
    Now I realize that its my hair growing
    I think anyway
    Maybe it IS bugs LOL
    :blah5:
    - Maria

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Buggy scalp...dandruff...tingles...you guys are weird! :)
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • Karua12Karua12 Posts: 155Registered Users
    I can tell my hair is growing when

-taking a shower, my hair is actually brushing my shoulders
    -my hair hangs down more (!)
    -my twists look thicker and longer than the last time I did them, and I can do them in bigger sections
    -when I use henna and it stretches out my hair
    -my puffs get noticeably bigger and I can move the headband back more (still not ponytail comfortable yet)
    -I pull down the hair closest to my forehead and when I pull it down completely I see that it's moved from my eye lashes, to below my eye, to the tip of my nose!

:thumbleft:
    Hey everyone!~ I've BCed! Yay! (13 month transition)
    Last Perm: March 23, 2008
    BC: April 24, 2009

Goals: To learn how to style my hair and continue to grow it healthy and happy!
    Hair type: :o 4b near the temples, 3c in the back/nape and 4a everywhere! Mostly coily-curly with medium-fine strands and medium thickness.

event.png

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I have to be careful not to get it stuck under the strap of my shoulder bag.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Well I posted last year, but this year what I've noticed is:
    • My hair gets stuck between my back and the seat when I'm on the train or riding in my car
    • I have to tie up my hair before putting down the window or my hair is all over my face (think lipstick and hair)
    • I have to think twice before using a purse with a strap
    • It takes my hair 3 HOURS to dry under a hooded dryer :sad5:
    • I use up a bottle of conditioner in like 3 uses LOL
    • I can feel my hair on my lower back, shoulders and arm. THAT'S never happened before. Feeling it on my arm is creepy, I smack my arm cuz I think its a bug ahahahaha
    • Oh and to change last year's answer - I can actually full/long braid my hair when I do a ponytail. I remember when I couldn't do this.
    :tongue2:

I love the fact that my hair is growing but wow I have so much respect for anyone BSL and beyond because this is insane to keep up. I may reach tailbone and cut it back to MBL cuz I might lose my damn mind 8-)
    - Maria

• katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Posts: 230Registered Users
    how do i know:
    -hair touches my shoulders when under the shower stream
    -i can finally grab it from behind my back
    -more of my hair reaches back into the ponytail (it still isnt in there comforably yet =\)
    -when i straighten i can actually feel it reaching down my back
    -my fro is bigger
    -and duh....PICTURES!
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users
    I can tell because my 'fro is starting to brush the top of the car ceiling when I drive :afro: LOL!
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users
    When I pull shirts over my head I still have hair caught inside and I have to pull it out.

I can't play trombone without having to move my hair out of the way.

My hair sits on my shoulders and I sometimes think a bug is on it.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    I can tell my hair has grown by pictures, when I daily cowash (I feel more hair), using more product, drying time takes longer.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • legette68legette68 Posts: 216Registered Users
    Thanks for this thread because I was starting to wonder if my hair was growing much at all. But I realized it has grown when I looked back at pictures from three months ago and see a big difference.
    Thick, coarse 3C hair:coffee:
    BC Feb 2009/ relaxer free since 06/08
    Second time around!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Flegette68" class="Popup
  • newbraidernewbraider Posts: 207Registered Users
    My mind was wandering last night and I actually thought up a scheme to measure my hair growth. Take a couple of those little extension beads (the ones they use to clip on loose hair extensions) and put them in various places in my head. Then measure a month later. :D
    Hair type - 4b :: Current Length - Zilch inches
    Umpteenth (+1) big chop - December 5, 2011
    Weight loss goal tracker :: Lost 12 pounds
  • lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    I can tell when I co wash and style my hair. My hair looks a little longer and getting bigger.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fmynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com%2F" class="Popup

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • vegas_curlsvegas_curls Posts: 857Registered Users
    One sign that my hair is growing is by this one pesky grey strand that stands straight up - right in the front, of course.

I don't know how classify it because it doesn't seem to fit any of the hair types this website uses, so I call it "5q".

Anyhow, "5q" keeps getting longer and longer, and the longer it gets, the more it defies gravity.
  • krazykkrazyk Posts: 243Registered Users
    My mother and grandmother (funny that I'd quote them on hair advice lol) used to tell me that when your hair itches that means it's growing... especially after you wash it.

Shake- I can totally understand those random bursts of dandruff even after you've tried everything. I end up blaming it on product, but it happens so rarely that I might consider that lol
    • Pictures are my main source of telling how much my hair has grown because I can be so oblivious lol
    • I can put my hair behind my ears and into a pony tail without straightening my hair :D
    • my hair covers my ears when wet and I have to keep it in a braid so it doesn't hit me in the face.
    • I'm starting to finally be okay with trimming my over straightened ends that I didn't want to let go because it'd be a good inch off my hair haha... It's long enough for me to begin the "bye-bye" process :)
    :icescream:Confusion in the front/4a in the back and around the sides
    Transitioning Natural since March 2005
    Complete natural (Last of permed hair trimmed out) May 2008 (1 1/2 inches left)

Regimen:
    Co-Wash: (Anything on hand atm)
    Leave ins: Aussie Moist
    Shampoo: Aussie Moist (only if I end up using gel or something out of the ordinary)
    Keeping it krazy simple:toothy7:

My hair history:/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fphotobucket.com%2Fkris_journeyofhair" class="Popup
    Pw: krazyk
  • stargazer613stargazer613 Posts: 103Registered Users
    mostly from coloring my hair (visible roots) and taking pictures
    Natural/3c/4a
    Loves: EMB, QB, Shea Moisture Style Milk, AO cons, Evoo, honey, jojoba oil, castor oil, shea butter, acv
    /herb rinses, henna

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.public.fotki.com%2Fstargazer613%2F" class="Popup