Dry Cut?

txgirltxgirl Registered Users Posts: 7
Ok, I have a question. Everyone all over this website keeps talking about getting a dry haircut. Should wavy-haired girls get dry cuts too?

This is my haircut history (before I found this website and the CG Book):

Every time I would try a new hairstylist, I would air-dry my hair, leaving it wavy, and go to the salon so they could see my hair in its natural state. I would then ask them if there is any way I could take advantage of the natural wave in my hair. Most of them said no. They told me that since my waves were so weak, that I should just keep straightening it every day. I always felt like SOMEONE out there must know how to cut wavy hair to let me take advantage of my natural hair, but since these stylists obviously couldn't help, I just let them cut my hair like normal and kept on blowing it out/flat-ironing it every day.

So, now that I have found this website (yay!) I searched for salons in my area and I think I may have found one to try next time I get my hair cut. (Or I may just have to fly to NYC to get the real story on my hair.)

Any wavies out there have experience with getting a dry haircut? If not, how do you get your hair cut? Layered, blunt? (My hair, right now is just past my shoulders and layered too short - I am trying to grow out my shortest layers.)

Thanks!
txgirl

Comments

• georgiapeachbk7georgiapeachbk7 Registered Users Posts: 14
    I've never tried a dry cut before but I def agree that letting your hair dry naturally before you go to the stylist is helpful for them, unless of course they are like the last ones you've had haha.

I usually just have my stylist cut long layers in my wavy hair, razoring my long bangs in the front to get rid of some of the bulk and then have it "thinned out", which takes out some of the bulk of my hair so it's not completely out of control. Hope that helped a little! Good luck with the cut and make sure to post pics! :)
    Katie
    @-->---

Hair type: 2B a few inches below shoulders

Products: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine serum, Loreal Springing Curls

Password: wavy
  • DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Registered Users Posts: 370
    txgirl wrote:
    Ok, I have a question. Everyone all over this website keeps talking about getting a dry haircut. Should wavy-haired girls get dry cuts too?

This is my haircut history (before I found this website and the CG Book):

Every time I would try a new hairstylist, I would air-dry my hair, leaving it wavy, and go to the salon so they could see my hair in its natural state. I would then ask them if there is any way I could take advantage of the natural wave in my hair. Most of them said no. They told me that since my waves were so weak, that I should just keep straightening it every day. I always felt like SOMEONE out there must know how to cut wavy hair to let me take advantage of my natural hair, but since these stylists obviously couldn't help, I just let them cut my hair like normal and kept on blowing it out/flat-ironing it every day.

So, now that I have found this website (yay!) I searched for salons in my area and I think I may have found one to try next time I get my hair cut. (Or I may just have to fly to NYC to get the real story on my hair.)

Any wavies out there have experience with getting a dry haircut? If not, how do you get your hair cut? Layered, blunt? (My hair, right now is just past my shoulders and layered too short - I am trying to grow out my shortest layers.)

Thanks!

I never have had a dry cut before, but I can tell you that those hairstylists are incompetent. There are many products and styles out there that will enhance your waves, even if there isn't a lot if it. I am glad that you are going to another hairstylist because there is plenty that they could do with your hair. I have my hair cut into layers and it really helps. My hair is very thick and is naturally 2c/3a. I also put in gel and blow dry with a diffuser to make it even curlier. :D
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • stubbornirishhairstubbornirishhair Registered Users Posts: 118
    I can definately relate, hairdressers can't wait to get out the flat iron when I'm in the chair! Once a few years ago though my stylist happened to have curly hair, and she said she could definately work with my waves. She cut it in long layers thinning it a little in the process, no razoring, and then twisted and diffused it dry. It was not a dry cut, but it came out beautifully. I didn't go back because it was in a different part of the city that I don't usually hang out in. I have an appointment on Monday to get a trim close to work, and it is a place recommended on this site.
    2B wavy thick hair
    Fia=2a M iii
    modified CG since 1/12/06
  • lazykerrilazykerri Registered Users Posts: 650
    I think I read that razoring can cause split ends and is NOT recommended for curly hair (in fact, I'm sure that I read that and I think it was attributed to the Curly Girl book). I think the same probably holds true for waves. Just a heads up.

I also have wondered about dry cutting wavy hair. My hair is wavy with some ringlets (depending on the day and the weather). Since I don't have the Curly Girl book, I can't look to see what suggestions (if any) she gives about cutting wavy hair. I liked my own hair best when the stylist put long layers in it. She cut it wet but I cut my own hair dry and it worked well (I didn't do anything fancy like layers though, just trimmed it).

HTH :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Always naturally lazy and curly! ~

Photo album password: curly
    Blog: lazykerri.wordpress.com
    Curl Type: 3a Fii
    Current Favorites:
    • Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner
    • Jessicurl Confident Coils
    • Rockin Ringlets, and
    • Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
  • kimmyckimmyc Registered Users Posts: 551
    I'm wavy with some curls. I got my first dry cut last September and am going to get it trimmed again soon. The stylist (who is a Devachan Curl Consultant) asked me to come in with my hair styled in my normal, everyday style. I will never go back to not having a dry cut again!! I love the way my hair came out and I still only have a few straggly ends that have grown uneven in the last 6 months. She played with my hair and cut random, individual curls all over and whatever she did really accentuated my curls. I highly recommend a dry cut by someone who knows what they're doing. Ask for a consult first if you're unsure.
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • txgirltxgirl Registered Users Posts: 7
    KimmyC - after reading your last post, I just looked at the pics you have of your DevaCC haircut. Absolutely GORGEOUS. I am now convinced that the dry cut is the way to go. (My waves are similar to yours - slightly weaker, but close.) Did you actually go to the Devachan salon or did you find a trained consultant in your area?

Thanks!
    txgirl
    txgirl wrote:
    KimmyC - after reading your last post, I just looked at the pics you have of your DevaCC haircut. Absolutely GORGEOUS. I am now convinced that the dry cut is the way to go. (My waves are similar to yours - slightly weaker, but close.) Did you actually go to the Devachan salon or did you find a trained consultant in your area?

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments! :oops: Very flattering....

I actually found a trained consultant in my state (she's an hour away but well worth the drive). Unfortunately I can't recommend her to you as you're in Texas, unless you happen to be swinging by New Haven anytime soon?? I love the consultant I go to and hopefully you can find someone great too. :D
    2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.
  • txgirltxgirl Registered Users Posts: 7
    Well, I am doing my research on the salon lists in Houston on NC.com. There are a lot that seem to be recommended for curly hair, but I am not sure that they are actually certified in any way or that they do the dry cutting. I am going to have to call around.

What I should probably do is drive up to Austin for that curly-day thing with Lorraine Massey that they are selling in CurlMart! It's 95 bucks, but it's a whole day's worth of info. Could be fun!
    txgirl
    The curly day in Austin would be fun! I think it would be well worth the $$$. Other than that I would just say call around and do phone or in person consults with a list of your questions. Don't pick someone until they answer them all right! :D

If you do go to the Austin curly day take lots of pics and post them for us!! :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file