treating "shakira texture"?

ghazalighazali Posts: 8Registered Users
I think my hair is 2c/3a, VERY thick, very coarse. It's similar to Shakira's texture, like in the pic below...but my hair is way more damaged than hers.

I've done a lot of things over the past 2 yrs like: avoiding heat/straightening, using as little shampoo as possible--I have to use some because my scalp gets too oily--and trying different moisturizing conditioners. The most effective conditioners for me so far have been Suave coconut and V05 pomegranate moisturizer. (Gave the most definition, reduced poof.)

My hair is definitely healthier than before. Up until a few yrs ago I didn't even know I had waves/curls, because I treated my hair so badly!! But, I still have trouble with the coarse texture. My hair usually looks dull & I have never, ever found a way to reduce frizz without a disgustingly thick slick of gel. That's gross, and creates nasty buildup anyway.

Anybody out there have hair texture like this? What products/recipes truly, honestly help? People suggest a lot of stuff but I find that those solutions are better for fine/thin hair. :( Where are the solutions for people with hair like rope lol. Unless I'm the only one. I hope not. ;>

Comments

• SAM2SAM2 Posts: 76Registered Users
    Hi. i have found that i have to use very good deep treatment conditioners on my hair or i have a dry course frizzy mess.i just got a bunch of highlights,which of course adds to the dry frizzy course mess, and use redken real control intense (something) . leave it on for as long as possible. rinse,then use anti snap(redken leave in for dry distresed hair) my hair is very soft, only a little frizzy. (if you find a salon that carries this they come in trail size tubes for 3 dollars) have to shampoo because of buildup with products, so the cg method did not work for me. good luck. sam
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    Deep treatments!!

I have fine hair but it was always really damaged feeling. I have been doing oil treatments (coconut oil & avocado oil) and the difference is amazing. These are pretty cheap to buy and if the don't work you can always cook with them!!!

I do a DT every couple of days. Just put the oil in dry hair and sleep on it.
  • ghazalighazali Posts: 8Registered Users
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies.
    Coconut oil didn't do much for me, it was a mess to get out of my hair -- but maybe the avocado I will give a shot. :) I'll check out the redken as well, if I can find it.

Anyone else with shakira hair, please share your routine if you have one that works. :D
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    your hair sounds SO much like my sisters... and she's about at her wit's end with it as well.

Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of suggestions to offer :( We've tried so many things with her hair without much success... the last time she went to our stylist (who's a curly herself, and LOVES her curls), she actually suggested trying to chemically straighten it :shock:

Thankfully my sister hasn't opted for that route yet, but I'm really interested to see what others have to say.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ghazali wrote: »
    I think my hair is 2c/3a, VERY thick, very coarse. It's similar to Shakira's texture, like in the pic below...but my hair is way more damaged than hers.

I've done a lot of things over the past 2 yrs like: avoiding heat/straightening, using as little shampoo as possible--I have to use some because my scalp gets too oily--and trying different moisturizing conditioners. The most effective conditioners for me so far have been Suave coconut and V05 pomegranate moisturizer. (Gave the most definition, reduced poof.)

My hair is definitely healthier than before. Up until a few yrs ago I didn't even know I had waves/curls, because I treated my hair so badly!! But, I still have trouble with the coarse texture. My hair usually looks dull & I have never, ever found a way to reduce frizz without a disgustingly thick slick of gel. That's gross, and creates nasty buildup anyway.

Anybody out there have hair texture like this? What products/recipes truly, honestly help? People suggest a lot of stuff but I find that those solutions are better for fine/thin hair. :( Where are the solutions for people with hair like rope lol. Unless I'm the only one. I hope not. ;>
    My hair is extremely coarse and thick and I have always felt that I was alone in this category. I've gotten a lot of help from other gals on this site but truly have only found 1 other than you that has described a problem similar to what I was going through. The only things now that keep the coarse hair and frizz away are CK (curlKeeper) and Honey. Honey in my conditioner and Honey as a "leave in" since I've started doing these things my hair is much more manageable. Give it a try, I don't really need DT's so much anymore because of the Honey. I do try to leave my condish rinse on for about a min or 2 even longer depends how much time I have and that seems to work well for me. I really love the TIGI MM instead of the DevaOne that I used to use. Hope this helps!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users

Sounds like my hair (altho the texture has softened 1. as i've aged and 2. since I went CG).

I suggest 2 things, a good DT that well for your hairs deficiencies (ie moisture? protein?) and CK. CK helped me so much with bulk/frizz.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • larularu Posts: 119Registered Users

I posted something nearly identical to this when I first joined the group. :) I, too, have Shakira hair (and just happen to be Colombian too)! You know what? I've come to the conclusion that there is not a damn thing we can do about it. There is nothing out there to completely tame our frizz. Our hair type is absolutely untamable. My solution is to play up the frizz! Think "organized chaos". Our hair is wild and sexy and free, so just let it be! I've cut shorter layers, especially in the back near the crown. I use a texurizer after my hair is dry to piece out the crown and pick out the roots a little to make it big and voluptuous. On the theraputic end of things, I make sure I condition the heck out of it. I've really had good results with Giovanni 50/50 conditioner. Check out my signature for some of the other products I use. With my hair, I've found that less is usually "more". What really matters is the right products. For me, they are hard holding gels and texturizing cremes. Things to stay away from would mainly be protein and glycerin. My hair can't handle them very well.

If your hair is severely damaged, you might consider getting it trimmed or take off some of the damaged length.

I hope this helps you out. I think we should stay in touch, that way we can share products and tips with each other. I have searched this board thoroughly and not found any other "hair twin". Sad, huh?

Take care and good luck!
    3a/b, auburn haired, BIG, coarse and frizz prone. :toothy10:

My hair hates:
    Curl Keeper
    Anything with lots of protein
    AOHR

Things that work:
    Aveda Flaxseed and Aloe Gel
    Aveda Phomollient
    BRHG!
    Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Condish
    KCCC and KCKT (Found my HG combo!)
    DevaCurl Angell
    LOOB
    L'Oreal Melting Gel

Password: rizos

http://public.fotki.com/titiancurl/
  • orangeserendipity32orangeserendipity32 Posts: 313Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I in fact, do not have course hair, I have medium texture that also can get pretty big and is always dry, but find that my hair really responds well to richer products or things courser curlies like, especially products that are made for african/african american hair.

It really is beneficial to find someone else on the boards that is your "product twin" so you can give eachother ideas. For instance, my hair seems to like everything echokitten's likes and she is a course curly. Except she is protein sensitive and I am not.

As far as products that seem to tame the frizz, I really like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl's WDT[/buylink] both for a deep treatment and a leave-in. Something new I have been trying as both a rinse out condish and a leave-in that is almost a miracle worker is Karen's Body Beautiful hair milk. It can even make my hair too soft, which I am SO not used to. It makes it feel like silk. I would also recommend moisturizing curl creams in place of gels if you don't mind the bigness of your hair. I think Innersense Curl Control is one of the best for giving moisture and shine to hair. I also second honey for frizz control and providing shine. About twice a week I mix honey and conditioner together (ratio of 50:50) and leave on my hair while I shower for about 10 min. and it makes quite a big difference for me.

I have and use all the products that laru has in her sig. by the way and they all work for me,although I prefer Avedas retexturizing gel to the flaxseed and aloe as the ladder can be drying.

Have you tried the Kinky curly line? It sounds like you may be a little sensitive to oils, and their leave- in, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink] doesn't have any and their gel, Curling Custard is more like a moisturizing balm that gives more curl definition and moisture than any other gel I have tried EVER.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

ETA: And if you are in fact sensitive to oils and buildup, the Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Nectar is similar to the milk except in contains much less oil. Also, the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]Kinky Curly Curling Custard[/buylink] does not contain any polyquats or PVP which are the ingredients some curlies get build up and dryness with when using other gels, so you may really like it!
    2c?/low-med porosity/medium texture
    Cruelty Free & CG
    Winter Routine:
    Co-wash: As I Am or Nubian Heritage Indian hemp and Tamanu
    Low-Po: Acure Argan Oil and Pumpkin Mega Moisture
    Condish: Acure "
    LI: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Stylers: Mop Top curling Custard, Max Green Alchemy scalp rescue sculpting gel, Dermorganics spray gel as finisher, SOTC w/ Curls passion fruit control paste
    Refresh w/: Shea Moisture coconut hibiscus hold and shine mist and jojoba oil
    DT:  A variety of Shea Moisture 

http://public.fotki.com/orange32
    pw=ringlet
  • scarriecarriescarriecarrie Posts: 382Registered Users
    When I first found this website, I would say my hair was 2C - extremely coarse, thick and wavy. Since I have stopped using sulfates and silicones on my hair, my hair texture has changed drastically to almost fine. Now, I have 3A hair with some 3B underneath. The more I moisturize my hair the better it curls.
    Mostly 3A/Some 3B Thick/Dry/Colored/SL
    Loving natural products. Some of my favorites are:
    MHC Scalp Cleanser, Donna Marie Miracurl Gelly, Robert Craig Conditionerloveshower.gif
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    When I first found this website, I would say my hair was 2C - extremely coarse, thick and wavy. Since I have stopped using sulfates and silicones on my hair, my hair texture has changed drastically to almost fine. Now, I have 3A hair with some 3B underneath. The more I moisturize my hair the better it curls.
    ditto
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • ghazalighazali Posts: 8Registered Users
    Wow, I lost my internet connection for a few weeks and missed all these responses! So glad to know there are other people with hair like mine. :)

I'll go through your suggestions soon, gals. Thank you!
  • 30isthenewblack30isthenewblack Posts: 49Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Firstly, I have to say that I love Shakira's hair and a lot of people would really kill for that volume :smile: One thing you may want to try is putting jojoba oil in your hair, the night before you wash your hair in the morning. It is best on damp hair to keep the moisture in and I usually just put oil on my hair from the ears down.
  • BaronvonmeowBaronvonmeow Posts: 1Registered Users
    Throughout my life Shakira has been my only hair twin. It took me years to learn how to embrace my waves and at one point I hated them. My hair is wavey and bouncy but loses its bounce very easily if I do too much to it. It will will go frizzy and flat. For the past 2 years I have been using this new method and have learned to love my waves. I get complements all the time and do not have to spend hours smoothing my hair everyday. My waves end up looking like Shakiras day after day.

It is my wavy hair sisterly duty to share my daily routine in the hopes that it helps someone with similar hair struggles.

I shower every morning. Can't do the two day was thing, my gentle waves can't take it without looking like flat dread locks. I use the Miss Jessie's quick curl creme from Target on my damp hair. This is hands down the best curl product I've ever used. It is my holy Grail. Then I leave my hair alone!!! No scrunching, twirly, defusing, nothing! Literally let it hang and dry. One it's about 80% dry I gently used my finger, spread wide to not break my curls, I tossle my locks flipping my hair from one side to the other. Then let it lay and finish drying.

Every other week I deep condition, because seriously who had time to do it now than that, and brush my whole head out. I usually smooth my hair out on these days because my waves are toast.

And that's it. I walk with confidence in my natural hair and get regular hair cuts.

Please post if this was helpful or if you have any questions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file