Poll: Interview Suit color

~915~~915~ Registered Users Posts: 519
Well, DH needs a suit since he wants a new job. If we can only afford one suit, what color should it be? I know that double breasted is out of style, but that's all I know. He looks cozy in brown, intimidating in black. Grey makes him look older and brings out the grey in his hair (which is significant). I think navy used to be the interview suit gold standard, but a lot of time has passed since my last job interview. Help would be much appreciated!
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• guinnessguinness Registered Users Posts: 351
    i voted for charcoal grey, because i think it looks really sharp on men, no matter what their age or hair color is. navy is good too. i agree about black being intimidating on men.
  • SisaSisa Registered Users Posts: 759
    This one always irks me, 'cause I think the standard is navy, if I remember correctly.

What if you don't look good in navy? :?

I think women have it easier in that respect because we can push the colour envelope a bit.
  • outtahereouttahere Registered Users Posts: 343
    I voted for navy. I've always heard that black or navy blue are the way to go, but I think black is almost too "I want to run the show."

What about a small houndstooth print suit? Is that acceptable? I have a black suit and a houndstooth one. The few interviews I've had so far have been for low-level, part-time jobs (I'm a student), so I've not been too particular about the suit's color (I always wear a suit for interviews). I think I look better in the print, but I don't think it's as professional. Also wanted to say it's a very small print, looks like a grey suit until you come close up. I've also been thinking about getting a forest green suit - what about that?
  • CurlilocsCurlilocs Registered Users Posts: 821
    I voted for the charcoal grey. Nice crisp white shirt. Nice tie. umph.
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz
  • ursulaursula Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Curl Neophyte
    Definitely grey. Even before reading your post, I would have said that. I think that if you can only get one suit, it should be grey. After reading your post about the impression your husband gives in a grey suit, I feel even more that it's the right choice for him. Navy suits look dated to me, for some reason.
    In search of a lost signature...
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    Black is immediately the wrong answer unless he's interviewing for a job in a creative, fashion or glamour field. Black suits for men are still considered somewhat avant garde.
  • LucilleLucille Registered Users Posts: 588
    For women, it doesn't matter. I've interviewed in the realm of 150 people and not once have I noticed what color the person was wearing. If a man showed up wearing all white, I would notice, but not a woman. I've never heard anyone mention in an evaluation or in an evaluation review what anyone was wearing either, and believe me, comments can get ugly.
  • ~915~~915~ Registered Users Posts: 519
    Kenzie,

I think green isn't the best idea. In fact, in my business etiquette books, they specifically mention that you should never wearing green in a formal work environment. I don't know why, though.

Anyhoo, I should also mention that the job that he really wants is a high level computer programming job at the local university. (That's what was making me think that Black was a no-go.)
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    Either grey or navy is fine, I think. Pick the best suit in either of those colors.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Registered Users Posts: 6,959
    My husband has an olive suit, and he looks F-I-N-E. So that is probably what he would wear for an interview. :D
    Minneapolis, MN
    Kenzie,

I think green isn't the best idea. In fact, in my business etiquette books, they specifically mention that you should never wearing green in a formal work environment. I don't know why, though.

Anyhoo, I should also mention that the job that he really wants is a high level computer programming job at the local university. (That's what was making me think that Black was a no-go.)

The suit I'm considering actually looks almost brown - it's forest green, not green green. It's hard to explain... I like it because I'm fair with hazel eyes and brown hair - I don't look good in black, and TERRIBLE in gray. Navy is not that good, either, though much better than black or grey. I have never heard the no green thing - that's interesting.
  • flouffflouff Registered Users Posts: 29
    i say anything BUT brown... simply because when i was in college, a career/interview etiquette woman came to one of my senior classes to lecture, and pointed out that brown always reminded her of the UPS man. she went on to say that you don't want to associate yourself with the UPS man when you are interviewing for a professional position at a high-level business.

so, while i personally LOVE brown, especially a nice chocolate brown, and it's a color that looks very nice on me, i wouldn't ever wear brown to an interview.

AFTER i got the job, i would wear brown to work, for sure! :)
    2b/3a
    modified CG since 10/05
    products i definitely love: deva one c, deva low-poo, deva SIF
    looking for that HG styler... still.
    pw = deva
  • ~915~~915~ Registered Users Posts: 519
    Kenzie,

All the jobs that I've had require more than one interview. I think that the idea is that you wear formal wear to the first interview and then, with each interview, you become more "you".

So far, I think I'm going to go with charcoal. It's a good thing I asked because he wanted to buy a black one. So, charcoal suit, white shirt and then, what color tie? Are there any rules here?
  • KurleeKurlee Registered Users Posts: 1,354
    I voted black. To me that looks the most "classy".
    I would wanna see something other than a white shirt with it though. Blue or something. A little bit of color.
    With charcola and white, any color will work. Just stick to a pattern that is fairly conservative (so no fish ties or hula girls)

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • NetGNetG Registered Users Posts: 8,116
    Wow! I knew charcoal was my favorite, but didn't expect most other people to vote the same way.

For some reason, when I think of a nice men's suit, I think of charcoal grey with a thin blue pinstripe. Often a blue shirt underneath, but right now that may be dated, I'm not sure. And a diagonally striped tie with both colors and a few others in it. I don't know why, that's just the image that pops into my head!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    Kenzie,

All the jobs that I've had require more than one interview. I think that the idea is that you wear formal wear to the first interview and then, with each interview, you become more "you".

So far, I think I'm going to go with charcoal. It's a good thing I asked because he wanted to buy a black one. So, charcoal suit, white shirt and then, what color tie? Are there any rules here?

Well, what IS formal, then? I always thought black was formal - you can't get any more formal than black. I would consider black to be much more formal than charcoal/grey. I think I'm going naked to my next interview. :lol:

Also, I've rarely been in a two-interview situation (though I've had few interviews). I'm there at this point. These interviews are for pt-time internships and such.

ChocolateCurls, is this suit for your husband, or you? :lol:
    Kenzie, the rules are very different for men and women, as far as business attire. Women can get away with many colors that men can't.

I think the general thinking is, the darker, the better. But black is bad because of the boho, countercultural associations. And brown and olive just give me an earthy impression, more appropriate for academia.

Kenzie_06 wrote:
    Kenzie,

Well, what IS formal, then? I always thought black was formal - you can't get any more formal than black. I would consider black to be much more formal than charcoal/grey. I think I'm going naked to my next interview. :lol:

For women, it can be. For men it's like a woman showing up in bright red or some trendy color.

My husband has a dark gray (not quite charcoal) with a faint blue pinstripe. And that looks nice...but depending on the job, maybe a tad overdone. Pinstripes are very conservative.

A lot of this depends on region. I don't know what Californians do. I know East coast and midwest.
    geeky wrote:
    Kenzie, the rules are very different for men and women, as far as business attire. Women can get away with many colors that men can't.

I think the general thinking is, the darker, the better. But black is bad because of the boho, countercultural associations. And brown and olive just give me an earthy impression, more appropriate for academia.

So, I guess light pink in the spring would be a bad idea? I just hate dark colors, I'm sorry...

OK, the forest green is sold out in my size, anyway, I just found out. What about navy pinstripe? This is going to sound stupid, but what exactly does "boho, countercultural" mean? Do you mean "hobo?"
  • SuZenSuZen Registered Users Posts: 1,595
    Bohemian. Hippie-ish.
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Poodlehead wrote:
    My husband has an olive suit, and he looks F-I-N-E. So that is probably what he would wear for an interview. :D

Mine does too. And he also has a navy one that, when paired with a nice red tie, makes him look really handsome.
    I like the slightly deconstructed look. I don't like the fussy, buttoned up thing.
    Kenzie_06 wrote:
    So, I guess light pink in the spring would be a bad idea? I just hate dark colors, I'm sorry...

for a man?

Aren't we talking about men's suits?
    SuZen wrote:
    Bohemian. Hippie-ish.

Ok, wow, I've never delved so deeply into something like suit color. Brown=UPS man Black=Hippie, Navy pinstripe=Very conservative. Lemme try - Green=Earthly, humble, at peace with Mother Nature.

I would like an analysis on brandy suits as well. You guys should write a book. :lol: Forgive me, I'm just playin. :wink:
    Kenzie_06 wrote:

for a man?

Aren't we talking about men's suits?

No, I've adapted this post to make it all about me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file