Plopping help, please!

irishprincessirishprincess Posts: 40Registered Users
I do NOT understand the plopping. I've watched the JC video again and again, tried it with a long-sleeved t-shirt and a towel, and am so frustrated! Would someone be willing to maybe do a step-by-step photo demo on Fotki for me or something? I don't understand which way to twist the shirt/towel? Towards your forehead or away? When I do it, it's super tight and flat against my hairline, which I don't know how that could possibly turn out beautiful in the end, but it doesn't matter anyhow b/c when I go to finish it off and tie it, it all gets loose and falls right off. Can someone give me tips or pictures or something! :confused4:

Comments

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I have no camera talent so I won't be able to post pics of it. Not sure which part you're having problems with or why it would fall off but I use a long sleeved tshirt or flour sack towel. With the tee, I place it on my bed, with neck opening closest to me and bottom of the shirt the furthest and put my head straight down into it. Do NOT angle your head in anyway or you'll end up with weird curls. Once your head is resting on the tshirt bring the bottom of the tee to over your head to the nape of your neck. Then slide your hands a bit to each side (pretty much to the shoulders of the tee) and start twisting. I twist in either direction I'm not sure that it makes any difference. It should be tight against your forehead. The next part is a little tricky, at least for me - I'm a klutz. I bring the sleeves to the back of my head, cross them over each other, bring my head upright, and tie them on my forehead.

Some tips - make sure all your hair is in the body of the tshirt or you'll end up with pieces sticking out. I usually start over if this happens. You'll probably have to do some material tucking depending on the size of your head and tee to be able to go about your business in the contraption. I can't sleep with it because it's too bulky for me. But I have no issues with it falling off my head while wandering around the house.

With the flour sack towel, I lay it square on the bed, plunk my head, pull the furthest side away from me to the nape of my neck, slide my hands out a bit to grab pieces directly on either side of my temples and twist. I bring the pieces to the back and then take an elastic and wrap it around those ends twice to secure it in position.

Flour sack doesn't absorb as much water for me but I get no frizz. Sometimes I do with the tshirt.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a flour sack towel this way: fold it in half so that it looks like a pyramid triangle with the folded side at the bottom. Put my head with hair hanging upside down a couple of inches from the bottom so that the folded part is across my forehead, pull the two sides of the towel to the back of my neck and loosely tie. Bring the top point over the top of my head to the back of my neck and tie the two sides around the top point to secure the whole thing. That's what I usually do after a morning "wash".

For a nighttime plop (which I've only done a couple of times), I fold the flour sack towel in the same pyramid triangle shape, but put the folded side at the back of my neck, then bring the two sides around and tie at my forehead, then bring the top point over the top of my head to my forehead and tie it securely with the two sides again so that I look like an "Aunt Jemima".
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll chime in too or hopefully it won't confuse you! I can't get anyone except my 4yr old to help me with pics and even she is tired of taking pics of my hair!

Anyways, I lay the X-LARGE t-shirt with the sleeves extended. I arrange the fabric so there is no hole where your head would go. I gather up my hair to center it and plop down. Fold the sleeves toward your forehead and then start rolling upwards until you end up with a enough on each side to tie it in back and then secure with an elastic. I don't know if it's exactly right but it seems to work for me. I was using a LG T-shirt at first and then figured out that's why i was having so many problems because it was too small.

Keep us posted if this doesn't help!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • ajaneajane Posts: 323Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    I'll chime in too or hopefully it won't confuse you! I can't get anyone except my 4yr old to help me with pics and even she is tired of taking pics of my hair!

That is funny!
    One the gals just posted a thread about following CG method and step by step pics of plopping! http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?p=711501#post711501

http://www.naturallycurly.com/tips/to-plop-or-not-to-plop
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • irishprincessirishprincess Posts: 40Registered Users
    Thanks for your replies! I was gone for the weekend, but excited to get some help when I came on here today. Unfortunately, I was already showered so I couldn't experiment, but tomorrow I will.

DEL2C - I couldn't get the first link you put on to work, the one that someone else had posted. The second one with the sketches did, but not the first. Could you maybe try to type it again? And I couldn't find it through the search, so maybe if we can't figure the link out, you could tell me what to search for. I typed in words like "plopping, how to, towel, pictures" and also the post number but it wouldn't work. Also, I looked at your Fotki photos and you're little CG is ADORABLE! I'd be interested to know what her hair care routine is and what products you use, how often you wash her hair or just wet it down, etc., b/c I have a little 3 year old CG and can't quite figure out how to make hers work. She's a 2A, I think. (fine, wavy, with some big ol' ringlets)
    Whatsercurl - Love the 'contraption' description. It's like a giant UFO on your head. I think my original problem was that I couldn't keep it from coming off in front, it would rise up off my forehead, and I couldn't get it to be tight just on the sides of my head and down the arms of the shirt - either I'd tighten it and the whole thing would tighten, or I'd twist the sleeves, tie it, and it wouldn't loosed down the arms and fall off. I don't know what my problem was really - operator error mainly.
    Question for all:
    Do you plop everyday? Like is it a mainstay in your daily styling routine? If you don't wash your hair, do you wet it in the shower or just with a water bottle and then plop? And then do you diffuse, or just air dry after plopping?
    I have so many questions. I believe my waves have potential, I just need to unlock it. Thanks, everyone!
    I will experiment tomorrow.
  • irishprincessirishprincess Posts: 40Registered Users
    Ok, so I searched around through some more threads and went out and got a few things and this was the routine I did:
    PM
    ~wash with CV Neem and Tea tree oil soap bar
    ~ACV rinse (1/3 c. ACV in 2 c. water), which I left on 5 min. then rinsed off with cool water
    ~Turned off shower, squirted on a honey rinse (1 t. honey in 1 c. water) and just left that in
    ~put a pea-size dallop of honey on my canopy and squeezed it gently down the length
    ~scrunched 2 dime-size blobs of FOTE AVG in
    ~scrunched about a nickel of KY in
    ~plopped in a flour sack towel (I used the triangle fold tied at the nape - I just could NOT figure out the dumb twisting! It felt like it was smashing my hair to my head and it kept coming out)
    ~took that out after about 10 min and then put it in a pineapple and put on a satin night cap found in the ethnic hair section
    AM
    ~took it all out. My hair was still super damp and since it never gets curlier as it dries and it wasn't super curly, I got nervous and spritzed it with some more KY/AVG mix (1 squirt KY, 2 Squirts AVG in 1 c. water) and scrunched. I also tried to clip the roots and put it back in the flour sack for 15 min.
    THE RESULT
    ~flat top
    ~stringy curls
    ~looks crispy, although it doesn't feel as bad as it looks
    ~looks like the highly sought after (I'm sure of it) fried out perm of the 80's
    And did I mention the flat top?

This look isn't going to fly, but I don't know how to change it up.
    The pineapple seemed like it was just pulling out all the curl from my scalp to the hair tie, but wasn't too bad actually when it came down.
    The plopping seems to smash my hair to my head, and I want at least a little volume at the roots.
    But the clipping gives me weird bends and just makes my roots straighter and then more flat.
    ANY suggestions would save my life.
    (I know this originally was about plopping, but it's morphed . . . just go with it and offer me some help!!)
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    You're doing a LOT at once.

First thing I would recommend is moisture. Nothing you're doing is imparting any moisture into your hair. No conditioners, no leave ins, and a couple of things (poo bars, ACV) that can potentially be drying. Try a conditioner that's got a lot of moisturizing properties and let your hair soak that up. Chill on the rinses and stylers for a couple of days if you can stand to.

Then start one thing at a time. Start slow, because rarely does anything good come from inundating your hair so quickly with so many different products!!

Another thing to consider is that plopping isn't for everyone, and overnight plopping REALLY isn't for everyone. I can only plop in the morning for 10-15 minutes before I get flat top that I can't recover from. Overnight plopping is a tough proposition for a lot of people.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
    Thanks for your replies! I was gone for the weekend, but excited to get some help when I came on here today. Unfortunately, I was already showered so I couldn't experiment, but tomorrow I will.

DEL2C - I couldn't get the first link you put on to work, the one that someone else had posted. The second one with the sketches did, but not the first. Could you maybe try to type it again? And I couldn't find it through the search, so maybe if we can't figure the link out, you could tell me what to search for. I typed in words like "plopping, how to, towel, pictures" and also the post number but it wouldn't work. Also, I looked at your Fotki photos and you're little CG is ADORABLE! I'd be interested to know what her hair care routine is and what products you use, how often you wash her hair or just wet it down, etc., b/c I have a little 3 year old CG and can't quite figure out how to make hers work. She's a 2A, I think. (fine, wavy, with some big ol' ringlets)
    Whatsercurl - Love the 'contraption' description. It's like a giant UFO on your head. I think my original problem was that I couldn't keep it from coming off in front, it would rise up off my forehead, and I couldn't get it to be tight just on the sides of my head and down the arms of the shirt - either I'd tighten it and the whole thing would tighten, or I'd twist the sleeves, tie it, and it wouldn't loosed down the arms and fall off. I don't know what my problem was really - operator error mainly.
    Question for all:
    Do you plop everyday? Like is it a mainstay in your daily styling routine? If you don't wash your hair, do you wet it in the shower or just with a water bottle and then plop? And then do you diffuse, or just air dry after plopping?
    I have so many questions. I believe my waves have potential, I just need to unlock it. Thanks, everyone!
    I will experiment tomorrow.
    that pic by pic instruction was a link posted on this thread that one of our curl talk members started and now i can't find the original thread!!! does anyone remember to fill us in? I tried searching and I'm coming up empty, that happens to me A LOT on this site drives me MENTAL!!! All I remember is it said "WIKI" and that she started it a lot of help huh? SORRY!!!!! I'll try looking again. As far as my little CG she gets conditioner wash only I don't do a leave in but lately I've done the honey rinses on her and she gets gel too on top of that. Sometimes I'll do a modified plop if she'll leave it alone (most of the times she doesn't) or I diffuse her if it's bed time. I wash it every other day or sometimes every couple of days depending on how dirty she is *LOL*
    Discovered CG 2007

• silveropessilveropes Posts: 33Registered Users
    here is where i learned go to Youtube type in Plunking you will see one for a shirt by dawnforpursbuzz and one useing a micro towel from jessicurl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file