CurlTalk

What do we agree on?

NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
Ok, I am aware I am being a Polyanna in starting this post. My *hope* is we can keep it very civil and actually follow through with my idea... but I'm sure it'll be interesting, at least.

I have a theory that if we kept end goals in mind, and just debated how to reach them, we would have very different discussions than the finger pointing we see in the political scene. I think some of that is inevitable in politics, because each side is trying to win a contest for the public's vote. None of us are trying to win election, so let's see if we can focus on what we'd like to see.

A few examples:
Good, safe education - for those who are rich AND poor, and the infrastructure to allow kids to grow up truly knowing they can be/do whatever they want, only held back by talent.

Women's education about their bodies. Regardless of *when* it happens, most women will have sex at some time. Pro-life or pro-choice, most of us seem to agree that women should at least be knowledgeable about what is happening with their own bodies, when they are and aren't fertile, what happens when they're pregnant, etc.

Food and shelter for ALL children. As the supposedly richest country in the world, it is shameful that any of our own children go to bed with an empty tummy, go to school with an empty tummy, get rained on during the night, only have dirty, holey clothing to wear, etc. There should be HEALTHY food available, too - not just overly processed crap.

Medical care for all who need it. While we may not want universal healthcare, I think most of us would agree that no cancer patient who can be cured should go untreated, or any other different kind of disease/illness. Simple preventative medicine can help so much, too.

I can think of a lot more, but am interested to see what other people come up with.
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!

Comments

• iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Curly hair is beautiful!
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    More even distribution of wealth. I'm not talking communism and I'm not even sure it's really possible. But it boggles me that actors and athletes get jabillions of dollars while many doctors can barely afford their insurance.

I know entertainers' salaries largely depend on us, the public, and ticket sales. But I'm not entirely averse to salary caps for them. There's enough money floating around to pay actors as much as $20 million basically for talking and playing make-believe; there should not be a single homeless or impoverished person in the entire US.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users
    I totally agree with education and better healthcare for all. As a healthcare worker, I see first hand the effects that lack of insurance and access to proper healthcare can have on people.
    I remember reading a quote somewhere that said,
    "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    We should agree to disagree on certain issues without it getting down to personal barbs at the poster.
  • StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    If you cannot afford to support yourself (home, food, medical) then you cannont afford to support a child.
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing.
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    Education, education, education. I wonder what our world would be like if everyone were well-educated.
    2b/3a.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Adding on to NetG's list and to Starrwithoutnite.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    Basically everything in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
    hello.world.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    I think we can agree that there are very few posters who actually intend to hurt others here. Some of the regulars like to write in a brusque style, and it's really easy to misinterpret intentions over the internet. Also, it's kind of part of the board culture to occasionally rag on other posters. However, most posters still want to be basically civil. I think that keeping this in mind might make the board a happier place all around.
  • jcurladyjcurlady Posts: 626Registered Users
    It all sounds great and I certainly don't mean to be negative but some of those things are up to us.
    I think that parents of disipline problem kids should find another way to educate their kids. I'm sorry if it sounds rough but if you can't behave properly then the many shouldn't have to suffer for the few.
    Women and men can be more educated about their bodies. We have the internet at our disposal. There are many books available to educate us.
    I most certainly agree w/ you on the food issue. Our government is doing a crappy job w/ the food they allow into this country and what they allow companies to sell to us. My grocery bill is ridiculous b/c I shop at the natural food store and still have to read ingredients. It's a luxury I can barely afford. I didn't grow up w/ that luxury. We had to try and make it on a few boxes of spaghetti, a few tomatoes, and a can of black olives for a few days until payday.
    I know this may be TMI but I don't want anybody to think that I'm speaking from anywhere but experience. I used to wrap toilet paper around my undies b/c we couldn't afford anything else.
    It was only by the grace of God that $8.50 took care of 4 people.
    That's how a part of my life was. It's how some of my family live to this day. They're comfortable w/ that life. I'm a firm believer in the fact that people appreciate what they work for more than things that are given to them.
    Sorry about the soapbox. I'm really not trying to be negative or flip. I just don't think that we should expect our government to be responsible for our every need.
    "That government is best which governs least."
    -- Thomas Paine
    if luvin KCKT and KCCC is wrong I don't wanna b right

sell crazy somewhere else...we're all stocked up here.
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    I think we can agree that there are very few posters who actually intend to hurt others here. Some of the regulars like to write in a brusque style, and it's really easy to misinterpret intentions over the internet. Also, it's kind of part of the board culture to occasionally rag on other posters. However, most posters still want to be basically civil. I think that keeping this in mind might make the board a happier place all around.

I'll agree and add that we have one or two that should have been banned by now.

• CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    "I'm a firm believer in the fact that people appreciate what they work for more than things that are given to them."

I wholeheartedly agree with this.
    2b/3a.
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,366Registered Users
    And I think we can agree that history has been made in the last two weeks...which is pretty cool and hard to see it happening in any other nation on earth.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

Yes, agreed!
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
    susancnw wrote: »
    And I think we can agree that history has been made in the last two weeks...which is pretty cool and hard to see it happening in any other nation on earth.

Actually, we're behind on this one so I'll have to disagree on the latter half of your sentence. We are far from the first nation to have a woman or racial minority on the ticket or actually in highest office.

• kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users
    I hope you don't mind if I chime in-even though I live in the uk so some things will be different anyway!

I think there should be more money spend on healthcare (instead of wasting billions on the stupid olympics! Soz-know this doesn't actually count for most people on here! I really shouldn't get started on that or I wont ever stop!) Especially on maternity wards - leaving a woman to give birth on her own because there aren't enough nurses/midwifes around is unacceptable.

I agree with more education on our bodies (for both sexes). The sex education system is poor here.

Better education in general - schools are failing our children at most levels. It is also disgraceful that a person ends up with £25,000 debt after university.

Better respect and care for the elderly. Stop closing care homes and start feeding more money into them.

Scrap inheritance tax-why the hell should the government just get to take what they want when by rights a person who saved and worked hard all their lives should be able to give that money to their loved ones.
  • SleighSleigh Posts: 1,226Registered Users
    jcurlady wrote: »
    It all sounds great and I certainly don't mean to be negative but some of those things are up to us.
    I think that parents of disipline problem kids should find another way to educate their kids. I'm sorry if it sounds rough but if you can't behave properly then the many shouldn't have to suffer for the few.
    Women and men can be more educated about their bodies. We have the internet at our disposal. There are many books available to educate us.
    I most certainly agree w/ you on the food issue. Our government is doing a crappy job w/ the food they allow into this country and what they allow companies to sell to us. My grocery bill is ridiculous b/c I shop at the natural food store and still have to read ingredients. It's a luxury I can barely afford. I didn't grow up w/ that luxury. We had to try and make it on a few boxes of spaghetti, a few tomatoes, and a can of black olives for a few days until payday.
    I know this may be TMI but I don't want anybody to think that I'm speaking from anywhere but experience. I used to wrap toilet paper around my undies b/c we couldn't afford anything else.
    It was only by the grace of God that $8.50 took care of 4 people.
    That's how a part of my life was. It's how some of my family live to this day. They're comfortable w/ that life. I'm a firm believer in the fact that people appreciate what they work for more than things that are given to them.
    Sorry about the soapbox. I'm really not trying to be negative or flip. I just don't think that we should expect our government to be responsible for our every need.
    "That government is best which governs least."
    -- Thomas Paine

i agree as well. sometimes its hard to say this message without sounding like you don't care about other people.
    2c hair. maybe a little porous? my hair likes suave, vo5 and the big tease. going to be trying more lush soon. not sure how i feel about dr bronners.

letting my hair be natural again after getting it straightened. yeah yeah, im a traitor :pirate:
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users
    Phoenix wrote: »

Yes, agreed!

ITA as well.
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Yes, agreed!

ITA as well.

Wish we could start a petition.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    eche428 wrote: »

Yes, agreed!

ITA as well.

Wish we could start a petition.

You can PM a mod. If the posts are truly offensive, (out of spite and not out of ignorace or not paying attention)and enough people say so, I would think that the comments would have to be looked at.

That's the route I went anyway. I figure if I was being hypersensitve, then the mods could ignore. If it's not me and others notice the same patterns, they'd have to check into it.

• NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    You can PM a mod. If the posts are truly offensive, (out of spite and not out of ignorace or not paying attention)and enough people say so, I would think that the comments would have to be looked at.

That's the route I went anyway. I figure if I was being hypersensitve, then the mods could ignore. If it's not me and others notice the same patterns, they'd have to check into it.

I have been skimming and skipping a LOT, so I haven't noticed.

But I totally agree with RCC. The mods can't be everywhere, and if someone is offensive enough to be worth banning, they will.

I've only seen unpleasantness which makes me have no desire to read posts from certain people. Which isn't a bannable offense in itself. Unfortunately!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    I would also like to suggest that it's silly to devote hundreds of words to vitriolic insults, and then expect the person they're aimed at to read them!

I don't mean that as sniping, because I think most people here are already well aware of this dramabomb. But I just find that expectation pretty odd, and was wondering if anyone had some insight into it.

I personally see a weird kind of power dynamic/manipulation in that behavior. I don't think it's a big deal, since it's just internet BS to me. But it really does follow the same pattern as emotional abuse. Person A makes mild or neutral statements, and person B responds with disproportionate rage, ludicrously claiming to be deeply hurt by A. The point of B's mindgame is to convince A that s/he is actually at fault, and thus gain the power to manipulate A through guilt. Even if the manipulation goes no further than trying to make A feel guilty, it's still a pretty crazy thing to do.

Although I don't take it personally, it really does disturb me to see this kind of behavior displayed online. I sincerely hope that it doesn't carry over into real life.
    Yes, I've seen that happen. Dramabomb is a good word for it.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Ah, we agree, we disagree, we agree again, and disagree again and life goes on.

We can all agree that icecream is great, right? :icescream:
    Nope. I prefer cake. But some ice cream is great.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Nope. I prefer cake. But some ice cream is great.

:icescream::icescream::icescream::icescream::icescream::icescream:
  • MistressM.MistressM. Banned Posts: 254Banned Users
    Speckla wrote: »

Not unless it's fudge brownie. :thumbdown: :wink: That reminds me, BROWNIES. Brownies are great, agreed?
    MistressM. wrote: »

Not unless it's fudge brownie. :thumbdown: :wink: That reminds me, BROWNIES. Brownies are great, agreed?

Brownie ala mode.
  • MistressM.MistressM. Banned Posts: 254Banned Users
    MistressM. wrote: »

Brownie ala mode.

You just have to have your ice cream, huh? :icescream::icescream:OK, I agree: brownie ala mode! Good luck getting the rest of the dames around here to agree. You convinced me to get out my Oreo ice cream. If only I had brownies to go with it!