CurlTalk

If you breastfed...

PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
I'm posting this here instead of P&P because I'm hoping to get more replies for my poll.

If you breastfed your child(ren), when did your fertility/period return?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    @ 6 weeks--in fact it was finishing up just in time for my 1st pp appt. :).
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    It didn't return while breastfeeding...not til I weaned. While breastfeeding my 3rd, I was trying and trying to conceive, but nothing...which was very odd for me because I had always been a once-and-pregnant type of woman. My daughter weaned at 19 months, and I got pregnant the first cycle after weaning. I had only been nursing once or twice a day at that point, but apparently it was enough to keep me from getting pregnant.

ETA: I got my period back at around 10 months each time, but they apparently weren't fertile periods.

ETA: I didn't start solids til my kids were about a year old, but they nightweaned early...before 2-3 months of age.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    First time - period returned at 9 months. I don't know if I was fertile at the time b/c we weren't trying. I nursed until DD was 17 months. I found out I was pregnant at 18 months.

This time, it's been 9 months of bf and I 'm trying to make it until a year. I haven't gotten my period yet. I don't know if I'm fertile but we don't want anymore kids.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs29.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc252%2Fwavezncurlz%2Fhair%2F" class="Popup
    password: curlzorwavez
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I already got a few replies, before I even finished the poll! :lol:

Solomon's almost a year and still nothing. I breastfeed him on demand around the clock. He does eat some solids, but not a whole lot and his nursing hasn't really decreased. I don't really want to night-wean, but I'm getting baby fever and want to TTC soon - we'd love to have Solomon and the next baby be 2 years apart.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I nursed DD for a year (although I was mostly pumping for the last couple months). I didn't get my period until after I quit pumping/nursing entirely. DD started cereal at 6 months and was eating solids by her first birthday.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    no night weaning. not breastfeeding on demand all the time but 1/2 the day with 1/2 day pumping 1 - 2x a day. came back around 3-4 months post partum.
    hello.world.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I nursed both my kids, round the clock, no bottles, but they took a pacifier. In both cases, I got my period (and I assume my fertility) back at 4.5 months.

I totally got cheated.
  • BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users
    If I remember correctly, I was without my period for ALMOST exactly a year and 9 months from the time I got pregnant, so it was just before my daughter's first birthday when it returned. She had been on solid foods (we did BLW, so no cereals or purees) since she was 9 months old. Right now I still BF her 3-4 times a day/night (mostly comfort nursing for naps and the like), but my cycles are regular again. At first they were like 45 days, then they slowly whittled a few days off each time until I was back to around 28-30.
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com" class="Popup
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
    Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
    Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
    Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    Gettin' baby fever, eh? :toothy7:
    after a few mos for moi..if I remember correctly

0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• preciousjewel76preciousjewel76 Posts: 679Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    I already got a few replies, before I even finished the poll! :lol:

Solomon's almost a year and still nothing. I breastfeed him on demand around the clock. He does eat some solids, but not a whole lot and his nursing hasn't really decreased. I don't really want to night-wean, but I'm getting baby fever and want to TTC soon - we'd love to have Solomon and the next baby be 2 years apart.

This thread is interesting, because my fiancee' and I were thinking about having another baby 2 years after this one comes along. I hadn't really considered the fact that BF can impact my fertility.
    4A - dense, medium strands - APL/BSL - 3+ years natural!

:love7:YAY!: GF Triple Nutrition Conditioner, YTCu Color Care Conditioner, Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, LOTD AV Gel, EVCO, JCN&S, KCCC, buns and updos!
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    I responded to the poll.

At the time i was still on maternity leave and (therefore) I was still exclusively nursing. :)
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    With Ben I got my period back at 3 months, with Nadia at 4.5. Both were bf round the clock, except for a bottle of expressed BM every couple of days. Both had not had solids.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • M2LRTooM2LRToo Posts: 446Registered Users
    Both kids didn't return until around 11 months. Started solids later with baby #2 than the first. R was around 5 months for sollids, E was around 7 or 8.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    both times, my period returned around 3-3.5 months post partum. and that was with exclusively breastfeeding. and it came with a normal flow, heavy days and all. nothing had changed.

this is how unreliable the breastfeeding/birthcontrol theory is, from my observation.

my girlfriend breastfed her first baby, supplementing with formula starting at 5 months or so about 40% of the time. she didn't get her period back until well after the baby turned 1. her period came back just before she decided to wean him (18 months?).

with her second baby, her period came back 2 months post partum, exclusively breastfeeding. she arrived at my home asking for a change of clothing because she never thought that at 2 months post partum she needed to arm herself with pads. as she was changing, she confessed to me that she didn't think she could ovulate while breastfeeding and confessed that breastfeeding her first baby (even though she was supplementing with formula) was their only method of birth control. i told her that they didn't know it, but they were playing russian roulette and got really lucky not having 2 pregnancies back to back.

my cousins are brothers and not twins and were born in the same year. granted, i don't know if their mother was nursing or not, but it just shows how soon after a birth another conception can occur.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    My periods returned about a month after I weaned, but with my daugher (#2) it took another 8 months before I got pregnant, and with DS#2 (#3), it took another 10 months.

You can plan all you want, but your body is going to do whatever your body wants to do.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • Jenny CJenny C Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    My period returned with both kids around 6 months pp, and my breastfeeding experience has been totally different with each of them.

I exclusively pumped with #1 for 8 months and am still breastfeeding #2 who will be 11 months tomorrow.

With #1, I stopped pumping at night when she stopped waking up for a feeding at around 3 months. #2 still nurses once during the night.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    Poodlehead wrote: »
    You can plan all you want, but your body is going to do whatever your body wants to do.

basically. :)
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    D. was eating a little bit of solids but still nursing a lot. He usually slept through the night, but if he woke up, he'd nurse. I'm still a little shocked I got pregnant, as I never even got a period.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Bailey422 wrote: »
    D. was eating a little bit of solids but still nursing a lot. He usually slept through the night, but if he woke up, he'd nurse. I'm still a little shocked I got pregnant, as I never even got a period.

I said it before, but I'm so jealous! I'd love to just skip over the period altogether.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    It could still happen! :)
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    All 3 were after introducing solids, but not night-weaned. 4 months, 6 months and 8 months, respectively. I got pg 3 times while still nursing.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users
    Chas started solids while breastfeeding at 6 months...he pretty much weened himself between 9 and 10 months...by refusing me. He preferred the bottle.

My period returned around 12 months...
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I got my period back about a month ago. Lucas has been nightweaned since he was four months old and he's been eating solids for a while. I don't know if I'm actually fertile yet, as we're not going to start trying until the fall. Not much help, I know...
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i got my period back around 3 months post partum and i was breastfeeding exclusively. :thumbdown:
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I voted "while exclusively breastfeeding, but after night weaning." My periods came back when he was about 3-4 months old, and he was sleeping 6-8 hours at night. However, I was back at work, and was pumping a couple times a day, which may have speeded things up.
    ehLB.jpg
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I expressed my milk until my son was about 2 months old. My first period showed up about the same time.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,677Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    My period returned at 9 mths with both boys. I was still breastfeeding regularly, though not round the clock - I think they were both night weaned but honestly can't remember(!). Both were on solids.
    3b in South Australia.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Mine is not back yet at 13.5 months. He just started solids at about 11 months - loves them, but still nurses frequently. Just this week his day nursing has been cut down due to school and I express milk by hand a couple of times in the day, but he still nurses round the clock at night. We'll see what happens. I figure that if your (gy) period isn't back, it's probably nature and your body's way of telling you to be patient and space your family a little to what you can handle!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote: »
    I figure that if your (gy) period isn't back, it's probably nature and your body's way of telling you to be patient and space your family a little to what you can handle!

You're probably right.... but newborns are so cute! And I can't wait to see Solomon as a big brother. And we want to have lots of children so I want to keep moving.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users
    I exclusively pumped for about 10 months. My period returned about 10 months after weaning from the pump. Still not so sure if my fertility ever returned.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel