Growing out?

I've been really missing my long hair lately but I've been debating on whether I want to cut it again or try and grow it out some. What do you guys think?

And also, my hair is in that weird middle stage, how on earth can I deal with this without pulling out the scissors? You guys are my support group!

Comments

• QuirkyYoginiQuirkyYogini Posts: 569Registered Users
    Hmm. I looked at your fotki and I think you actually look better with the length you have now. Still, the long hair pictures were your early CG days, so it's hard to compare. I think I like the way the shorter hair frames your face, but it's hard to say. I'm sure you'd look great either way, it just depends on how you feel. Happiness = beautiful. :)
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

http://public.fotki.com/QuirkyYogini/

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I think you're one of those lucky people that can wear it either way. I think it would look great longer now that you're taking such good care of it. I like mine better long because it's lower maintenance and I get better curling action.

I've heard great tips about handbands and barettes for that weird stage just around shoulder length. I suffered through helmet head because I couldn't figure out how to use them properly. Looks like you have it down in your avi though. :)
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • RawrSallyRawrSally Posts: 1,388Registered Users
    Thanks you =]
    I think my curls will work better at a longer length now that I have a good routine down. I mean, the day before I cut my hair I used HEBE for the first time [my go-to gel now] and had an amazing hair day so I'm thinking I can have the length I want and the curl I crave. I mean, if it's really not what I want, who says I can't just get it cut again? Stretched out, it's about down to my clavicle or so. How long would I have to grow it out to get it past my shoulders when dry?
    I just want it out of this middle area. It's annoying.
    And I am not lacking in the bobby pin or headband area. Trust me, I have one for every outfit and then some more to spare.
  • roccmycurlsroccmycurls Posts: 85Registered Users
    I think your shorter hair style is really gorgeous.
    the hair revolution continues... 9 yrs. & counting....:blob7:

BCs: July '99, March '04, June '04, Sept. '04 whenever I get bored.... LOL!

products that work for me:
    homemade aloe vera/jojo/glyc/ honey/coconut oil gel
    Giovanni 50/50
    Miss Jessie's DT,
    Jessi Curl WDT

mantra: "Growth Comes Easily & Effortlessly"

PHOTOS:
    http://public.fotki.com/roccmycurls/
    Thank you. =]
    Annarie101 wrote: »
    Thanks you =]
    I think my curls will work better at a longer length now that I have a good routine down. I mean, the day before I cut my hair I used HEBE for the first time [my go-to gel now] and had an amazing hair day so I'm thinking I can have the length I want and the curl I crave. I mean, if it's really not what I want, who says I can't just get it cut again? Stretched out, it's about down to my clavicle or so. How long would I have to grow it out to get it past my shoulders when dry?
    I just want it out of this middle area. It's annoying.
    And I am not lacking in the bobby pin or headband area. Trust me, I have one for every outfit and then some more to spare.

Pulled out in the back mine is about BSL. In my pics it looks just a bit below shoulder. I will say it felt like it was shoulder length FOREVER. Not sure if it will happen to yours but as soon as my curls touched my shoulder they would just curl more and not look any longer. I was there for at least 6 months before they would not just bounce up to the top of shoulder.

Darn. =[
    Maybe my hair will grow quickly.
    I've never tried to grow my hair out before. I've always had long hair until now.
    Darn. =[
    Maybe my hair will grow quickly.
    I've never tried to grow my hair out before. I've always had long hair until now.

I don't know whether age is a factor but I have to think a teenager's hair would grow faster than a 40+ woman. :)

Also, the spring-up curl thing may not happen to you.

My hair does shrink up a bit. It doesn't really look like it has grown out much since the cut which was in early June. Ugh.
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like your hair shorter, but then again, now that you've cut off the damaged hair from straightening, it might be gorgeous long again. I'm trying to grow my hair out, too...not being too successful.

Vitamins. Hair and Nail Vitamins are my new best friend. I didn't think they made a difference until I stopped taking them. Wow, what a difference.

My hair has quite a bit of bounce to it. Right out of the shower, freshly combed, it comes down to about 2 inches past my shoulders. Dry, it comes to about 1 inch above my shoulders. I didn't know 2C hair had that kind of shrinkage. Go figure.

In general, I vote for longer hair because it's so much easier to pop it up if you don't have time to do it. Shorter hair...not so much. Looks like we might have to join the growing out hair dancers thread.

My hair does shrink up a bit. It doesn't really look like it has grown out much since the cut which was in early June. Ugh.

Ah the joys of being a curly. Guess we should be thankful we're only 3A's. I've seen posts in the 3C or 4A sections where their hair touches their shoulders curly and is almost BSL stretched out!!! Now that would be agonizing.

BTW - cool blog.

Ah the joys of being a curly. Guess we should be thankful we're only 3A's. I've seen posts in the 3C or 4A sections where their hair touches their shoulders curly and is almost BSL stretched out!!! Now that would be agonizing.

BTW - cool blog.

Liiiike this?
    backofhairpulled.html
    backofhairpulled.html Backofhairpulled-vi.jpg

And honestly, your hair looks great how it is! If you want to grow it out then that's fine, but you'll still look great while doing it!
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

• marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    QuirkyYogini Wow your hair is really long! Love the curl btw.

Annarie101 A hairdresser once told me the average person's hair grows 1/4-1/2 in a month or something like that. My hair grows fast, not really noticeable except when it outgrows a cut(ie won't curl right etc.) I was told mine grows at about 1/2-1 inch a month. But I think we both hafta go get some vitamins now! I agree with the rest of the ladies, you got great hair no matter what the length!:wink:
    http://public.fotki.com/TLGuerrero/

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz

BTW - cool blog.

Liiiike this?
    backofhairpulled.html

And honestly, your hair looks great how it is! If you want to grow it out then that's fine, but you'll still look great while doing it!

Yeah just like that. Great hair! :D

QuirkyYogini Wow your hair is really long! Love the curl btw.

Annarie101 A hairdresser once told me the average person's hair grows 1/4-1/2 in a month or something like that. My hair grows fast, not really noticeable except when it outgrows a cut(ie won't curl right etc.) I was told mine grows at about 1/2-1 inch a month. But I think we both hafta go get some vitamins now! I agree with the rest of the ladies, you got great hair no matter what the length!:wink:

Thanks! All this time I wanted waist-length hair and I have it! Now I just want it to be curly and waist-length! :laughing7:

BTW - cool blog.

Liiiike this?
    backofhairpulled.html

Yeah just like that. Great hair! :D

Heh heh. Thanks! :tongue5:

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file