I so want to get to the point that I like my hair curly & ban the flat iron.Questions

This site is such a great source, would love some help.

Background. Early 20's wore my hair a bit shorter than shoulder length. Just diffused. No brushes around. Curly/wavy, thick, not real frizzy. Happy camper.

Grays came in full force, texture changed, started coloring (need to do it every 5 weeks). Would guess 70% gray, coarse, wiry, very thick, curly/wavy (sorry not sure of type yet). Returned to blowdrying it straight (what I did in high school etc). Added flat ironing. Takes 45 min plus, and often doesn't look that great. Frizzy, puffy.

Someone at my salon loaned me Curly Girl book, and if she is the one washing my hair at salon she used Devacare No poo, and the Conditioner. A few times she used the Gel etc, and let it dry naturally. Not great, still very puffy, frizzy (especially after awhile), and shrinks and puffs. She is firm believer that I should stick with DevaCare and give it a chance to do its thing, so I bought the DevaCare Low Poo (is there a big difference betw/ their low and nopoo?), the Conditioner and Gel and have been using that for two weeks. Haven't gone full CG that many on site, by not shampooing (still learning about different ways).

Hair looks good wet, but once dry puffy, fluffy, frizzy, and flat on top (got suggestions on this site, so will play with that).

So have any of you gone this route (not full force by not shampooing) and gotten good results? Do I need to stick it out more? I gave the ACV a try, didn't see much difference. Same for honey. I'm thinking maybe I need to work on condition first. When person at salon used the products, hair looked better (I try to duplicate her method, applying on soaking wet hair etc) than when I did it, but she used a diffuser, and one time I sat under the dryer. Does that give different results vs air dry? I've upped the amount of gel which I thought would help. Eh, not so much.

Thanks,

Comments

• FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    It sounds like it is dry. Try doing come deep treatments to get the condition better. I like just plain oils - olive, coconut or avocado.
  • marimari Posts: 44Registered Users
    Apple, I too am new to CG. I have been trying the method between 4 aqnd 5 weeks. Some days my hair look good and some days yuck! However, overall I am finding that it feels so much healthier and the frizz is getting better. From what I have read it does take awhile for your hair to adjust. Also you may need to experiment with different combinations of products to find what works best for your hair.

Are you rinsing out all of the conditoner or leaving a little in after showering? I do not rinse absolutely clean so I have that extra conditioner. I also have learned to not rub with a regular bath towel. I am currently putting Loreal Out of Bed in soaking wet hiar (I mean still standing in the shower.) Then I scrunch in LA Looks gel. Then I squeeze out the excess water with a tshirt, some people on this site use a special towel and plop but my hair is not long enough. Then I air dry. I have also been experimenting with adding a couple of drops of Africa's Best Herbal oil (you can find this in the ethnic hair section) because my hair is also kinda dry.

Don't give up. Just keep trying to find what works best with your hair and keep reading the threads. I have learned so much from reading old posts. HTH
    Currently experimenting with
    CoWash: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze and VO5 Free Me Freesia
    Gels/Creams: FOTE, LA Looks, LOOB
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I think you are right - your first priority should be conditioning your hair back to health. Flat ironing kills our curls (i did it for years too). Give your hair time and moisture, it will respond.

FYI, while many curlies love the Deva products my hair hated them. They were not moisturizing enough for my ver6y thick, dense, damaged hair plus they left my hair feeling producty (even the shampoos!) - I believe it was because of the amodimethicone which I avoid at all costs! Be open to other products - read the threads and you will find your way.

Good Luck
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • APPLE1101APPLE1101 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks everyone. I'm still learning (an understatement). I'm not set on DevaCare. Hey, what's another bottle to add to my collection under my sink. I'm certainly up for trying other things.

So do you think I need to go hard core and go CG (meaning washing with conditioner etc) if I have that right. Can I still get good results by using certain shampoos and conditioners? I see the Aubrey (can't recall rest) is real popular. I find it interesting that so many use the Suave (great that its cheap), but at the same time, many also augment with more costly products.

So can you hair be dry (and need moisture) and not really feel dry? Do you think better condition will help with the wire/coarse texture. What I hate is that certain parts of my hair have "issues" --- its like that part has a brillo/fuzz that just sits on top of the hair. It looks like someone glued hair on top (doesn't seem to even fit with the rest).

It would be sooooo great if I can start wearing it curly again. Is it a real no-no to dry it straight while doing this process at the beginning? My hair looks so unprofessional and wild that I don't want to wear it this way to meetings etc. I am hoping that I will get to the point of nice curls, but not yet.

Thanks again. What a great site.
  • marimari Posts: 44Registered Users
    Apple, I always knew that my hair was a little dry however, after going CG and feeling the difference in my hair's texture, I realize that it needed mositure even more than I thought. I have been going totally without shampoo and was actually quite skeptical at first. I can't argue with the results that I am seeing overall.

I am a teacher and have learned to pull my hair back in a pony tail when it goes nuts. You could also do a bun or tie a pretty scarf around it on those days. Not sure how long your hair is but mine is not really all that long. I am now seeing the the really awful days are getting fewer and farther between.
    Currently experimenting with
    CoWash: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea, VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze and VO5 Free Me Freesia
    Gels/Creams: FOTE, LA Looks, LOOB
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    APPLE1101 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I'm still learning (an understatement). I'm not set on DevaCare. Hey, what's another bottle to add to my collection under my sink. I'm certainly up for trying other things.

So do you think I need to go hard core and go CG (meaning washing with conditioner etc) if I have that right. Can I still get good results by using certain shampoos and conditioners? I see the Aubrey (can't recall rest) is real popular. I find it interesting that so many use the Suave (great that its cheap), but at the same time, many also augment with more costly products.

So can you hair be dry (and need moisture) and not really feel dry? Do you think better condition will help with the wire/coarse texture. What I hate is that certain parts of my hair have "issues" --- its like that part has a brillo/fuzz that just sits on top of the hair. It looks like someone glued hair on top (doesn't seem to even fit with the rest).

It would be sooooo great if I can start wearing it curly again. Is it a real no-no to dry it straight while doing this process at the beginning? My hair looks so unprofessional and wild that I don't want to wear it this way to meetings etc. I am hoping that I will get to the point of nice curls, but not yet.

Thanks again. What a great site.
    I think CG is a gd send. And your hair can be more damaged then organically dry, if you get my meaning.

The transition time if rough - I know because I am 16 months into growing out my last chemical straightening. And it takes time....

I can understand your concern over looking polished while your hair transitions. Maybe you could work some chic chignons? Or maybe just get a good blow out weekly and eek it out as opposed to flat ironing?
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • APPLE1101APPLE1101 Posts: 3Registered Users
    Well since I don't like how my hair looks (about 2 weeks just using DevaCare lo-poo, their conditioner, and their gel)..... maybe I should just jump in and go for the full CG. Maybe I'd get more improvement faster. So do I just get a clarifying shampoo to get the product out (I need to do some looking for recs), then pick up the Suave Coconut Conditioner, or an Aubrey Conditioner (or ???), and wash with conditioner. I need to do more surfing to get more scoop.

I am a sucker for products, but trying to go the cheaper route since I'm trying to watch the $$ spent on even more hair stuff.

I just find it hard to believe that it can really change the look and feel of my hair, but some of the pics on the site are pretty impressive. So far, no way do I get good 2-day hair, since I don't get good one-day hair yet, so can I "wash" with a conditioner every day. And, can I still use the DevaCare Gel or is there a super popular one that I should try?

Thanks everyone!!!!
  • saricurlsaricurl Posts: 121Registered Users
    Hey there, I am about 2 months into CG and I call myself "modified" because I use a conditioner and sometimes a leave-in that have amodimethicone and I low-poo every now and then. I started CG cold turkey and my hair freaked out, so then I backed off and eased into the whole thing very slowly -- first I just continued with my normal shampoo/conditioner routine but tried to do more deep treatments and lay off the blowdryer. Then I started shampooing only twice a week, then once a week with a low poo. I got into co-washing with Suave and V05 conditioners and found that my hair feels just as clean. As my hair gets more and more moisturized, I have noticed that when I use a low-poo now, my hair is funky and drier for a few days. So it seems like now I'm much more CG than not. It's been about 10 days since my last low-poo and I'm probably going to go at least 2 more days before I do it again. You certainly could co-wash every day if you want to, but you might find that you don't need it. I co-wash every other day or so.

It took me at least 4 weeks to get reliable 1st day hair, and about 6 weeks to get 2nd day hair. For me it was a combo of finding the right styling products, using more leave-in, and laying off the low-poo. As for products, someone gave great advice that I follow religiously now -- look at the signatures of posters that have hair types similar to yours, and focus on trying out those products. I had really bad luck at first trying out products that were working for people with hair that I love, but was not like mine. It has been consistently true that the products I now love are the ones that worked for people with my hair type.

Good luck - keep at it - and keep trying out different things!
    3b with a little 3a
    Mostly CG, but I love me some amodimethicone.

Cleanse: V05 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditioner; CJ Hibiscus Bliss low poo; LLL Green Tea Cleanse
    Rinse-Out: Kenra moisturizing conditioner, Redken All Soft (old formula), LVPNG, LVPHG
    Leave-In: Agave nectar plus Sebastian Potion 9 or Aloeba
    Style: Dab of QCCC, Re:Coil or Mop-C under BRHG/HESMU combo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file