Can anyone compare camellia oil and shea butter?

rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
I'm thinking of picking up some camellia oil and wanted to know if anyone could compare it to shea butter. I use shea butter ALL the time, but oil wise I only use the oils I have every once in awhile. I've used jojoba, sweet almond, and apricot kernel the most. I have heard some raves about camellia and would like opinions. Do you use it like the other oils? Thanks!
Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Low poo: looking
COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
RO: varies
Protein: CJCF or CJRM
DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
LI: varies, usually KCKT
Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    I really love it! I bought some organic Camellia oil from FNWL, I bought a small size initially and then bought a 16 oz size. I use it to wash my face, I use it as a pre-poo, and sometimes to seal my hair (I would use it more often to seal, but I've been experimenting lately). I just love it. I've used jojoba, which I like, and sweet almond - a little oiler than I like, but then there's my beloved camellia - it just seems to absorb right in - really good stuff:love10:.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • bunniee23bunniee23 Posts: 228Registered Users
    camellia oil is much lighter than shea butter. I use a few drops on the ends as a leave-in, and it makes my hair feel soft & silky. it's one of my favorite oils.
    Type 2b. Wash: WEN pomegranate or fig. Leave-in conditioner: Alaffia beautiful curls for wavy hair, Spiral Solutions Protein spray. Style: Curls In A Bottle, Ecostyler, or KCCC.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    bunniee23 wrote: »
    camellia oil is much lighter than shea butter. I use a few drops on the ends as a leave-in, and it makes my hair feel soft & silky. it's one of my favorite oils.
    ITA...it's lighter than jojoba for me, too. I use it as a leave-in sometimes, and it works very well as a serum on dry hair. It's hard to over-oil with camellia. Shea I haven't truly mastered yet, but is much heavier. I have used shea successfully as a leave-in and as a finisher, but it is easy for me to over-do it. I have both the one from FNWL (Chinese) and the Japonica (Japanese). Both work well on hair, face and body, but I love the Japanese version best for my hair-it seems to be the lightest, and absorbs so completely.
  • rhosyn_durhosyn_du Posts: 99Registered Users
    For me, it's hard to compare camellia and shea because they are completely different in my hair, but I love them both and use both regularly. Camellia is very lightweight and absorbs really well, and I use it throughout my length when wet (sometimes mixed with aloe, sometimes on its own), and then a drop in the mornings to tame the poof I get overnight. Shea is a lot heavier, and I find that I have to be much more judicious in my application with it or I can get stringy bits, but my damaged ends love a bit of shea after I wash, and I use just a tiny bit repeatedly throughout the day to tame my halo.
    2c, fine/medium with a few coarse grays, medium porosity, normal elasticity, protein-sensitive

Modified CG
    Low-Poo: L'Oreal EverCurl Shampoo
    RO: L'Oreal EverCurl Conditioner
    LOC: KCKT,
    Nightblooming Triple Moon Hair Anointing Oil, & Nightblooming Panacea or Freya Hair Salve
    Styling: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel, Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Finishing Paste
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Thanks all....in other words, just buy it, Rymorg! ROFLMBO!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    ITA...it's lighter than jojoba for me, too. I use it as a leave-in sometimes, and it works very well as a serum on dry hair. It's hard to over-oil with camellia. Shea I haven't truly mastered yet, but is much heavier. I have used shea successfully as a leave-in and as a finisher, but it is easy for me to over-do it. I have both the one from FNWL (Chinese) and the Japonica (Japanese). Both work well on hair, face and body, but I love the Japanese version best for my hair-it seems to be the lightest, and absorbs so completely.

why do i only see one type on fnwl??? pleeease show me fla!!
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file