When movies don't have a clear conclusion...

texascurlytexascurly Posts: 1,967Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
it drives me crazy!! I just watched Unfaithful (it had been years since I'd seen it) and I hate the ending. They are sitting at a stoplight right by the police station talking about their options. The light turns green and they are still sitting there and it's the end of the movie. I don't like it when I'm left to draw my own conclusions at the end of the movie...I like a clear ending. I want to know what happened!!

End rant...carry on!!

Comments

• PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yup, I like to have a clear ending too. It doesn't have to be incredibly specific - just an impression that things will work out is ok. What I don't like is the feeling that the end has been chopped off and the credits are rolling too soon. I like to feel that it's time for a film to end, or else it's like taking away my last malteser.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There was a law & order SVU episode that ended that way. The story kept going back and forth between the accuser and the accusee, and it was really hard to judge which side of the story to believe. One minute you think he did it, the next you think she made it up. It ends with the jury foreman saying "we the people of NY find the defendant . . ." then it cuts to credits. Drove me NUTS.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    cympreni wrote: »
    There was a law & order SVU episode that ended that way. The story kept going back and forth between the accuser and the accusee, and it was really hard to judge which side of the story to believe. One minute you think he did it, the next you think she made it up. It ends with the jury foreman saying "we the people of NY find the defendant . . ." then it cuts to credits. Drove me NUTS.

ACK! I hate that episode for exactly that reason. Don't waste an hour of my time that way, L&O!

I don't mind making up my own sort of ending, but one that just ends abruptly is sort of a cop-out. It makes me wonder what the writer and director were thinking. Did they get stuck and just think, "Hey, it would be cool just to skip putting an ending on this puppy?"
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hmm, I actually like it sometimes. We just watched American Psycho (great movie!) on Friday and I like that they leave the interpretation up to the individual.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like it too. It's more realistic.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I know! But I recently saw Unfaithful and I'm pretty sure he turned himself in.

The daggone Blair Witch Project, same ish. I was like, what happened?!?! EVERYONE in the movies let out an "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!" when the credits began rolling! lol
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No Country For Old Men and Cloverfield were like that.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    I hate them too. It makes me think the writer decided to leave it like that just in case it's a hit, they could make a sequel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's good when there's a clear narrative purpose, and they give you enough information to let you draw your own conclusion (unless the movie requires that the audience have very limited information). When it's just used as a gimmick, it's pretty bad.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    YolyC wrote: »
    I hate them too. It makes me think the writer decided to leave it like that just in case it's a hit, they could make a sequel.
    Eggzactly...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »
    The daggone Blair Witch Project, same ish. I was like, what happened?!?! EVERYONE in the movies let out an "AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!" when the credits began rolling! lol

In Blair Witch, it ends with them in that cabin, and you see one guy standing facing the corner. Earlier in the film, there was a story that the witch would take victims in two at a time and make one person stand in the corner while he/she killed the other person. I figured that's what happened. But it's not exactly spelled out.
    ehLB.jpg
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    The one that drives me crazy is "Cast Away"...I wan tto know what the hell is in the box!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • redheadmommy05redheadmommy05 Posts: 289Registered Users
    TV season finales do this to us all the time too. I cried this year when my favorite show Ugly Betty ended and i didn't know if Betty chose to be with Henry, Gio or none of the above.....I have to wait until the end of September to find out!!!!!
    3A thick curls and waves.....
    trying to find a simple hair routine for a nurse/mommy always on the go!!
    Currently using henna and ....
    Low poos: Giovanni TTT , KC Come Clean
    CO: Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin MC, CJ Deep Fix, AOHR, TIGI MM, KCKT
    Stylers: Ecostyler, KCCC, BRHG, DevaCare Arc AnGel
    http://public.fotki.com/redheadmommmy05
    pw:curly
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    shelli wrote: »
    The one that drives me crazy is "Cast Away"...I wan tto know what the hell is in the box!

It was just a metal sculpture in the box. The real question at the end of that movie is if Tom Hanks makes a left and goes after that sexy sculptor and lives happily ever after, or if he goes another direction and finds happily ever after somewhere else. I think we're supposed to think he goes after the sculptor.
  • a curly qa curly q Posts: 248Registered Users
    I love American Psycho! And No Country For Old Men! I think an open ending works when it's done well and I much prefer it to an ending that's just dumb
    Wanted :P

2b, medium, lots of them
    CG: 21 Apr 08, Mod CG: 24 Aug 08
    My blog: Can't Stop Thinking About Hair
  • MadinatMadinat Posts: 266Registered Users

It was just a metal sculpture in the box. The real question at the end of that movie is if Tom Hanks makes a left and goes after that sexy sculptor and lives happily ever after, or if he goes another direction and finds happily ever after somewhere else. I think we're supposed to think he goes after the sculptor.

OMG, there was a sculptor in cast away?
    4a/b
    my hat hair is fabulous and amazing!!
  • MadinatMadinat Posts: 266Registered Users
    texascurly wrote: »
    it drives me crazy!! I just watched Unfaithful (it had been years since I'd seen it) and I hate the ending. They are sitting at a stoplight right by the police station talking about their options. The light turns green and they are still sitting there and it's the end of the movie. I don't like it when I'm left to draw my own conclusions at the end of the movie...I like a clear ending. I want to know what happened!!

End rant...carry on!!

i still can't get over the fact that she got nominated for an academy for that. other than the hot spanish guy she was with, i can't remember why i saw that movie.

also, i think the breakup had an ambiguous ending as well. they see each other then......nothing? <shrugs>
    lazy writers, making me use my, [I]imagination[/I]!

4a/b
    my hat hair is fabulous and amazing!!
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    How do you know it was a sculpture? I thought he never opened that one? I like to think he went back to the house.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Drives me crazy and makes me furious - like I spent my money for nothing.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • texascurlytexascurly Posts: 1,967Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

For me this one had a clear enough ending for me. You knew he was going to find happiness. In my world, he went back to that lady's house and they lived happily ever after.:wink:
  • curlylew66curlylew66 Posts: 1,685Registered Users

For me this one had a clear enough ending for me. You knew he was going to find happiness. In my world, he went back to that lady's house and they lived happily ever after.:wink:

Yep, He went back to her house.
    Her packages to her unfaithful husband were being delivered by Fedx.
    They both loved Elvis.
    Hanks wasn't appreciating anything in life and he let his job rule his life. The clock ruled his life.
    So, he was thrown on the island to "think" about what was really important in life.
    He wasn't meant to be with Kelly. He never slowed down to stop and smell the roses with her. Even with his friends he never took quality time to be a friend.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users

End rant...carry on!!

on the contrary, i loved this movie, have seen it numerous times, and love the way it ended. you are left not knowing what will happen, even if they'll ever be found out by police. it makes you think and wonder. i love that!
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users

i never wanted to know what was in the box. i wanted to know what he was going to do, where he was going to go. he was literally at a crossroads in his life. i loved the ending.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file