What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. Agreed?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Or not? Why or why not?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Literally? No. I know someone who overdosed on caffeine and now he has a heart condition.

I also had liver trouble as a child and now I have to make sure I'm not doing anything to hurt it.

Even for the emotional stuff, a lot of it can be scarring. You can move on and become stronger from it, but that isn't always the case for everyone.

I believe that while my misfortunes are bad and are only going to get worse, this will be a bad period for my life and things will get better. I'm not necessarily stronger or better from these things, but I will get over them, which is not necessarily the same.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    short answer: you may be able to handle more but if you don't heal, learn and let go what doesn't kill you can make you crazy and really dysfunctional....
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    short answer: you may be able to handle more but if you don't heal, learn and let go what doesn't kill you can make you crazy and really dysfunctional....

I think that about sums it for me, as well.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No. There are no absolutes in human nature.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    In certain cases, for some people yes.

I lost my 10 year old brother when I was 13. That was 8 years ago. Did it hurt me, and leave a scar on my heart? Yes. However, here I am today living my life so I have no regrets.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    It doesn't only make you stronger, but it often does.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • MistressM.MistressM. Banned Posts: 254Banned Users
    Naw...
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    luvmylocs wrote: »

I agree. If you can reconcile with the past then it can make you stronger.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It may not kill you but it can maim you.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    cympreni wrote: »
    No. There are no absolutes in human nature.

Except that one.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What "feels" like its going to kill you will make you stronger but only if you learn from it.
    I agree you could end up being a mess from it and only make things worse.
    For me, what felt like it was going to kill me, made me stronger.
  • vwlizardvwlizard Posts: 91Registered Users
    For me, one of the worst things I ever went through in my life was also one of the best things to ever happen to me.

I got married very young and divorced 8 years later. It was a dirty, messy divorce. I was a complete wreck.

I learned so much about myself during that period that DID make me a stronger person. What I learned has certainly helped me lead a better, happier life.
  • CaliCali Posts: 475Registered Users
    In certain cases, for some people yes.

I lost my 10 year old brother when I was 13. That was 8 years ago. Did it hurt me, and leave a scar on my heart? Yes. However, here I am today living my life so I have no regrets.

This is what I was going to state. I lost my 13 year old sister when I was 11, but i'm living today and I no longer feel the need to cry when I hear her name. It's such a common name, and with John McCains VP pick it's a name I hear all too often now.

You can only learn from experiences, whether they are good or bad. They make you alert and aware of something you never would have thought of before, and you can pass on that wisdom to others. So yes,

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
    .png
    "Women are made to be loved, not understood."
  • wanderlustwanderlust Posts: 650Registered Users
    Not always. Like others have said, some of the physical and emotional scars can be permanent and have lasting effects. In such cases, people don't do better because of what they have been through, but in spite of it.
    Formerly ladyjag123
  • slinky1slinky1 Banned Posts: 1,612Banned Users
    Or jaded.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the things I have gone through have made me stronger or a better person. I feel as though I know too much about how awful life/people can be. Small episodes of the contrary aren't enough to change that.

I don't think that everything happens for a reason, or that every human has worth. I don't believe that we are all unique and special...just mostly similar and replaceable, and often a burden. I don't have the slightest clue why we're even here.

Real nice, huh?
    ;)
  • nadinanadina Posts: 640Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    no, because things can kill your spirit. and you might as well be gone. as for me, suffering has made me an empathetic, thoughtful, tough woman. sometimes i wish i had to chance to just be weak. ha.
  • CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    no. I HATE that saying. Hate it.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'd really like to know exactly what Nietzsche meant when he wrote that. Could anyone fill me in?
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ITA Suburbanbushbabe.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    It only makes you stronger if you're able to deal with it in a healthy way. Physical and emotional trauma are far too often dealt with by self-destructive methods - drinking, drugs, promiscuity, cutting, and many other ways.
  • g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
    I think wiser more than stronger.
    AKA lotsawaves
    AKA new2curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file