My brother is free and happy again!

CaliCali Posts: 475Registered Users
About 6 months ago, my brothers drinking problems got worse and had an angry episode at my parents place. He was borrowing all kinds of money from them, never telling them why, and would be emotional and drunk every time he would visit.

There was a point where he realized he needed help. He went to our family doctor, they pointed him out to a hospital and we all found out he had bipolar disorder, and his chemical unbalance was only getting worse because he wasn't taking the right medications.

He refused to. He went in hiding for weeks, and he had basically destroyed every brain cell he had by drinking nonstop. We had him taken to the hospital for a few days, and then checked him in to a rehabilitation center about half an hour away.

We visited him every 2 weeks, and he was only getting better. He quit smoking, quit drinking, and quit his old lifestyle. He has been clean for 6 months and counting, he got an apartment and I got him a temporary job as a volunteer at the school I work at. He has been talking to grade 8 students about drugs and alcohol, and how to avoid it.

We are all very happy for him.
.png
"Women are made to be loved, not understood."

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thats such a happy end to a story that too often ends badly.

I'm glad your brother was able to pull out of that cycle, and proud of him as well even though I don't know him :)

I hope he keeps up the good work, and realizes how lucky he is to have a supportive family like yours seems to be :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Curl Neophyte Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Congrats! It's really, really hard to pull oneself out from a cycle of addiction; he must have put in a lot of hard work for that.
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Curl Novice Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    What an accomplishment! He's really lucky to have a family that stuck with him.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • justa.grrljusta.grrl Posts: 85Registered Users
    Amazing job. I think talking about it with other people can only help him and inspire others. Congratulations to him!! :thumbup:
  • EilonwyEilonwy Curl Connoisseur Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's really great!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Curl Neophyte Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I hope he is happier. He really cleaned it up and I bet took some effort.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • realisticrealistic Curl Novice Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    This is so great. I'm really happy for you guys!
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • CaliCali Posts: 475Registered Users
    Thank you so much for your kind words. Actually, according to my watch, one of his job interviews is over in less than 10 minutes.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping he gets the job. I think he applied for a paying job at a youth detention center, so he can keep up rent. He plans on going back to school and studying business.
    .png
    "Women are made to be loved, not understood."
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Congrats to him!
    I wish my GP wasn't so much of a ****up... :sad8:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Curl Connoisseur Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's wonderful. :) Be very proud of him, it's tough to break free. I have a favorite cousin that's been clean for about 8 years, I'm very proud of him and the life he is building. :) All the best to your brother and his future.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • FeedYourHeadFeedYourHead Curl Connoisseur Posts: 248Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Congratulations and continued best wishes to your brother! As a recovering alcoholic with bipolar disorder, I know how hard it is to live with both a mental illness AND an addiction.
    Name: FeedYourHead's Hair

Description: 3A/3B/2C in the back, Botticelli, medium, thick, low porosity, modified CG since 2008

Likes: Shea Moisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil sulfate-free shampoo; Curls Coconut Curlada conditioner; KCKT; LA Looks Extreme Sport Gel; coconut oil; honey; banana hair masks
    Dislikes: Silicones (:thumbdown:), Hairbrushes (:eek:) and harsh detergents (:protest:)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file