Are those highlights or lowlights????

sarasarasarasara Posts: 1,561Registered Users
When ever I ask for *natural* looking highlights, I get bleached out or way too light highlights. Even after they're darkened up, they don't look natural with the base. I'm thinking maybe that I was looking for lowlights?

I want something similar to this photo. I want the *highlights* to be a bit darker than the photo on the left but less orangish than the right one. Anyway, you get the idea. The base goes with the highlights, and it looks really natural. Are those highlights in this photo? or lowlights?

ifffffffffffffffffffffffff.jpg

And if they are highlights, why do I get totally,obviously bleached out platinum highlights? Or, in the case similar base to the one in the photo, then why do they look so horribly fake (I'm talking about how the hair looks by itself, not the way it looks with my skin tone/eyes...etc)? :argue::argue::argue:

Comments

• M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Highlights generally refers to anything that's lighter. A low light would be getting a color that's darker.

With highlights, they usually use a light blonde color, unless you specify that you want something that's more caramel or lighter brown color, they should be showing you a swatch of color, not just randomly coloring your hair.

Its probably getting brassy looking because of the oxidation that occurs when you get highlights. The color starts to fade, shampooing and all of that can cause it to get brassy, along with sunlight, etc. When you get blonde colors, or colors with some red in them, it's hard to not get brassy sometimes.
    :rambo:
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    M2LR wrote: »
    When you get blonde colors, or colors with some red in them, it's hard to not get brassy sometimes.

Do you know how to get a light brown color with no red?
    Is there such a thing? That's what I'm looking for...
    When you get blonde colors, or colors with some red in them, it's hard to not get brassy sometimes.

Do you know how to get a light brown color with no red?
    Is there such a thing? That's what I'm looking for...

You need to get something that doesn't have a red or purple base color. I would guess that your hairdresser would be able to tell you what the base is. If it's not red or purple, it's an ashy color.
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I thought of "ash". What if it's a nice, pretty brown...and then instead of getting brassy....it get's ashy. Like cigarette ashy. :shock: I don't mind grey hair all that much, but I don't want to go and streak my hair with it on purpose... gah!

Maybe I'll just leave my hair alone. I haven't done any color stuff to my hair in years. I think my hair has enough dimension, without getting highlights. I have to get this idea out of my mind.
  • sarasarasarasara Posts: 1,561Registered Users
    Highlights generally refers to anything that's lighter. A low light would be getting a color that's darker.

With highlights, they usually use a light blonde color, unless you specify that you want something that's more caramel or lighter brown color, they should be showing you a swatch of color, not just randomly coloring your hair.

Its probably getting brassy looking because of the oxidation that occurs when you get highlights. The color starts to fade, shampooing and all of that can cause it to get brassy, along with sunlight, etc. When you get blonde colors, or colors with some red in them, it's hard to not get brassy sometimes.

The hairdresser actually told me that lowlights is kind of like highlights (lightens up) but just with color instead of bleach...The color I get is always looking fake, from the moment I step out of the salon:angry7: I'm going to start learning how to do highlights myself:angry7:
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users Curl Novice
    sarsara are those both pictures of your hair?
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
    sarasara wrote: »

The hairdresser actually told me that lowlights is kind of like highlights (lightens up) but just with color instead of bleach...The color I get is always looking fake, from the moment I step out of the salon:angry7: I'm going to start learning how to do highlights myself:angry7:

I have always been under the impression that low lights were like putting darker colors in, and I imagine that's what would happen if you didn't use bleach...bleach = lighter.

I guess I am not understanding that if you just tell her you don't want the bleached highlights, then she shouldn't be putting them in your hair. :dunno:
  • sarasarasarasara Posts: 1,561Registered Users
    nope, it isn't my hair.

Yes, I did tell the hairdresser what color I wanted. And I got more than one photo to explain what I meant. And I said about 20 times that I did not want them to be too light. And again I showed the photos.And the hairdresser would just say:'yes, yes, yes, I know what you're talking about, yes, yes, yes...'
  • violaviola Posts: 224Registered Users
    I don't know if I can explain this very well. But my experience with my own highlights is I ask for them to be about 1 shade lighter than my hair. What the stylist does is bleach them and then add back toner to try to acheive that. But the toner fades. So even though right after I get the highlights, it's fairly close to what I want, in about a month or so, it is pretty much light yellow looking. So I have to go back and get toner put in again.
    The toner only alters the color of my highlights, it doesn't affect the color of the rest of my hair.
    As far as I can tell, at least in my case, it seems impossible to do a one step process that brings my hair only one shade lighter.
    BTW, I'm going from about a level 6 to a level 7. Level 6 is light/medium brown, and level 7 is light brown/dark blonde.
    Oh yeah, and I do end up with the gold (sort of orange) based color. My stylist tells me not to fight this as she thinks the more green/ash shade would look bad with my skin/hair/eye coloring. So, this may just depend on the person.
    ETA: I agree that lighter shade = highlights and darker shade = lowlights. I relayed this story in order to give my expereince as to why it's so hard to get a highlight that isn't too light.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This a an example of lowlights
    graduated_bob_with_lowlights.JPG

I'm in the same boat. I want dimension to my hair but the highlights I was getting were too light. There seemed no low maintence way to tone it down.

If you were to do low lights they would use some sort of purple or red base I think.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i basically agree with what alot of people have said already. highlights = lighter than base color and lowlights = darker than base color. highlights do get brassy over time.

i think the simple answer would be for you to change stylists. go to someone who specializes in color.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Naturally dark hair usually has a lot of red pigment in it--it's just covered up by the melanin. Brunettes who use only bleach to make their hair lighter will typically wind up with orange hair. You can avoid that by using an ash (blue-based) shade, or adding toner (green tint).
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Highlights = lighter color or bleach
    Low lights = darker color

Now if you get low lights put under your natural hair color, it will look like you have some highlights provided your hair isn't very dark to begin with. Supposedly, you can go down two shades without bleach, so you could ask for highlights with a lighter permanent dye. If you try to go too much lighter, that's when you get the brassy effect.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Lowlights are what I always go for. I have dark hair, and my skin looks awful with blonde highlights. My hair is naturally a level 6 neutral brown, so I have my hairdresser put in a level 4 neutral brown, which is 2 shades darker. It adds dimension and depth to hair.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file