Green tea and weight loss?

M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I recently saw an ad or a pop up or something from an Oprah show, where Dr. Perricone said that if she were to switch from coffee to green tea, she'd lose weight.

Is green tea really that "magical?" I know all about anti-oxidants and all of that stuff, and I was reading about caffeine and blood sugar, but I am still not getting it.

ETA: I should mention that the Oprah thing says the show is 4 years old. Who knows why I am seeing ads for it now.
:rambo:

Comments

• CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    I don't drink it for weight loss, but maybe it does keep my weight under control.

It really keeps my skin looking good, though.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I thought it was n-a-s-t-y! :tongue6:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• rnconniesfrnconniesf Posts: 256Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I drink a lot of green tea and when I first started I did notice I lost weight. Since I wasn't trying to lose weight I'm not sure if it was just the tea or something else I was doing. I tend to forget to eat when I'm under stress so it could have been that because I switched to green tea to stay away from caffeinated iced tea.
    C
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    I thought it was n-a-s-t-y! :tongue6:

Same here, but I wonder if I had the wrong brand or if I steeped it too long. :dontknow: It was a long time ago.

Now I'm on a sensitive medication & can't have any green tea due to supposed interactions.
  • AngularScienceAngularScience Posts: 844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Green tea isn't that much more magical than coffee. Sure, green tea has antioxidants which are very beneficial, but that does not cause weight loss.

Personally I think it's a variety of other factors associated with drinking tea that causes the weight loss. Green tea has less caffeine and coffee has a lot of caffeine, so the latter is used as a pick-me-up while the former is seen as a more relaxing drink. A relaxed mindet means reduced cortisol levels, which is a hormone that can cause increased appetite. Also, green tea is traditionally consumed plain, without sugar or milk or creamer. Coffee, on the other hand, is often artificially sweetened, which adds to the extra pounds.

ETA: I forgot to mention, green tea isn't much more magical than black tea or oolong. It's oxidized less, but you can get most of the same benefits drinking black, oolong, or white teas.
  • QuirkyYoginiQuirkyYogini Posts: 569Registered Users
    If you don't like green tea, try adding honey to it. It sweetens it but it's more of a natural taste.
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

http://public.fotki.com/QuirkyYogini/

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm pretty sure that you'd have to drink a huge amount of green tea--maybe 18 cups, although concentration varies--to reap any benefits from its antioxidants. Green tea is very tasty, but there's nothing special about it. It's just slightly exotic and very easy to obtain, so it's the kind of low-effort thing that people will believe is healthy without skepticism.

And Wile E, get some good green tea and don't let it steep for too long!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I drink green tea every day, and have for years. I make it iced, and it's basically the only thing I drink all day. I like the taste and it's supposed to be good for me, so that's why I drink it. However, it doesn't make me lose weight. I struggle with my weight every day of my life, always have, even before I drank green tea, and I suspect I always will.

So...I think the claim is greatly exaggerated.
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think if there are any weight loss benefits its purely incidental. They maybe staying hydrated which eases hunger signals.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Green tea isn't that much more magical than coffee. Sure, green tea has antioxidants which are very beneficial, but that does not cause weight loss.

What she said.

Maybe if somebody drank ALOT of coffee every day and used large amounts of cream and sugar -- then switched to green tea and didn't use any sweetener... then there would be a large enough calorie deficit to cause weight loss.
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,764Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I did switch from coffee to green tea following Dr. Perricone's sayings, and no, I didn't lose weight.
    I still drink green tea because I like it very much, but I don't think there's anything magical in it.

I also did that 3 or 4 day diet he promotes (I can't remember) that includes lots of salmon and didn't lose weight either,
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that you'd have to drink a huge amount of green tea--maybe 18 cups, although concentration varies--to reap any benefits from its antioxidants. Green tea is very tasty, but there's nothing special about it. It's just slightly exotic and very easy to obtain, so it's the kind of low-effort thing that people will believe is healthy without skepticism.

And Wile E, get some good green tea and don't let it steep for too long!
    Teach me, oh wise one!
    and it's for all intents and purposes...

:laughing7:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

• badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    I haven't noticed any weight loss with green tea, but I love that it gives me energy without getting jittery like coffee or soda.

Wile E & LL - I thought I hated green tea because all I'd ever had was Lipton (plain and flavored = yuck) and the strrrrrrrrong stuff at my favorite Japanese restaurant. I'd suggest trying a good green tea that's mixed with a flavor you like. I've had very good luck with Stash Moroccan Mint Green Tea (very minty) and Stash Chai Green Tea. I think there was a green tea thread recently with other rec's too. Also make sure to only steep it as long as it says on the box - if you steep it too long it tastes bitter.
  • StephSStephS Posts: 352Registered Users
    I was under the impression that Dr. Perricone's diet was formulated more for skin care (anti-aging), not so much for weight loss.

Although I can see where if one were eating in such a way as to cause weight gain, then switched to Perricone's, there would surely be some weight loss as well as possible skin improvements from the better overall nutritional picks. Yeah - a disclaimer.
    and it's for all intents and purposes...

:laughing7:

Grasshopper, now that you have learned your first lesson, you may proceed to the next level of training: green tea.

Really, any tea besides Lipton and Celestial Seasonings is gonna be decent. Numi, Two Leaves and a Bud, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, and Peet's Coffee are all good, although I'm pretty sure Peet's only does loose tea. I really like Lupicia, personally, but they don't have many US locations.

Don't steep it too long! Any tea will become undrinkably bitter with the wrong time-to-heat ratio (the hotter the water, the shorter the steep time). Some teas are naturally strong and meant to be mixed with milk, but green tea should be mild. You can also find green tea mixed with jasmine or rose, or other combinations.
    :mrgreen:
    So, the stuff in the jug is not good, eh? lol
    0004.gif

• lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    :mrgreen:
    So, the stuff in the jug is not good, eh? lol

I guess not, but the white peach diet tea is! :toothy7:
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i think it's a good drink but alone it won't make you thin. i don't enjoy coffee unless it has cream and/or sugar. green tea on the other hand i love plain. so for me green tea is a better drink....
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,764Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi,
    I started putting on a lot of weight especially on my thighs and bottom in my late thirties.People used to glare at me when I went out and I really wanted to do something about it. I started exercising as often as possible and also cut down on a lot of high calorie stuff. Unfortunately I hardly managed to lose any weight at all. I then recently read an article by a lady who claimed that she managed to lose nearly half of her weight using a particular weight loss product. I tried it out and it actually worked really well. Within 4 months I managed to shave off 65 pounds completely. The results were pretty amazing and I feel so much healthier and energetic now without having to carry all that extra weight around. You can read more about the lady's article at the link below

http://obesenomore.wordpress.com/

COMPUTER%2BSPAM8.gif ?
    3a/b.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^^ Yup. "Her" two other posts hawk acne products. I just reported that user.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file