I feel like giving up

I've been doing a modified CG for about a month now and just feel like a mess. I was so excited when I went out and bought new products (Suave Coconut, FOTE AVG, ACV, Herbal Essences Totally Twisted, Low-Poo, CK, and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink]) but I'm still not happy with any results. I just want soft waves, I don't want curls. I want to be able to run my fingers through my hair and have it look soft and fluffy, not icky. I really would like my waves to look like Kate Hudson's. Any suggestions or emotional support would be greatly appreciated
2b/c Hair
Have no clue what to do with it :dontknow:

Comments

• FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    What result are you getting now?

What texture is your hair?

What sort of cut do you have? any layers etc.
  • baikabaika Posts: 117Registered Users
    I would cut on gels... :wink: If you are a wavy, and you don't need all that hold, curl definition etc then why use them?

ACV rinses give me soft soft curls (I'm more of a 3A with some waves).

I'm no expert (and I don't even have your hair type) but I would do lots and lots of moisturizing, and rather frequent ACV rinses for the balance.
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    If you could post your routine and which of those products you are using exactly maybe we can give you some more helpful tips. Cg does tend to bring out your more natural hair, so if your hair is curling more than you like perhaps a modified cg might be better?
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried combing a leave-in through your hair, and then just barely smoothing a little gel over that with your palms, to "seal" it?

This is what I plan to try when winter comes and the curls don't want to curl. Don't know if it will work for either of us.... but it seems like something to try if you want wave rather than curl.

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My daughter's hair is like Kate Hudson's. I have to watch what I use on her hair, because it can get weighed down and greasy looking very easily. During the summer, (thanks to the cholorine in pools) her hair is very dry; she needs a stronger leave-in. Here are some of the products that work really well for her:

Leave-ins / Spray leave-in conditioners: (not during chlorine season):
    • Jane Carter's Revitalizing leave-in is the best one I've found for her
    • Loma's Glide leave-in conditioner ... not bad, but not as good as Jane Carter's.
    Leave-in / Cream leave-ins (I use rinse outs as leave-in's): Styling Products:
    • AG gel mousse
    • Ouidad's Playcurl Mousse
    • Loma's Curl Mousse
    2nd day hair:
    • Jessicurl's AIS
    • Max Green Alchemy's Texturizing Paste (scrunched in dry hair).
    She tends to go to bed with wet hair. I distribute the products and really scrunch her hair. I use either a Curlease towel or some very fine MF towels after applying the product. She is normally up for about an hour before she goes to bed, but her hair isn't dry by then. I pull it up in a pineapple and she goes to bed. She sleeps on a silk pillow case.

Her hair is amazing in the morning. Her hair is a little wavier than the picture of Kate Hudson you have. I like her hair done this way better than diffusing. My daughter's hair is very fine, wavy and is waist length.

Hope this helps .... wavy hair is much different than curly hair. I can't use the amount of product or the same types of product on her hair that I can use on my own.

You may want to read Msgiblet's posts. The products she can use on her hair almost always work on my daughter's !!

Good luck !!
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    and i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sometimes what we WANT our hair to do and what IT wants to do are completely different things :(

There are times when I want nothing more than those smooth, frizz free waves like Kate Hudson's. And other times that I want those glossy ringlets like what some of the people on this site can get. Unfortunately, my hair just doesn't do it... but that doesn't mean it it's pretty in its own right. I've just had to learn to accept what it is and embrace it for that.

That's the hardest part of CG, to my way of thinking... not adjusting to no sulfates or silicones, but adjusting to letting my hair do what IT wants instead of trying to fight it tooth and nail all the time.

I dunno what your hair type is, and it could be that Kate Hudson-waves are perfectly do-able with your hair type, but I thought I'd put this out there as well :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • frizzyMommyfrizzyMommy Posts: 39Registered Users
    Thank you all for your input. There are some great ideas that I can go off of now.
    Feralcurls wrote: »

My hair is like 2b/c, and is medium textured and fairly thick. If I don't comb it out I can sometimes get spiral curls in places, but if I comb it out I can get some pretty wave patterns. I have a Deva cut, so I'm not quite sure if that would be considered layers or not.

Right now I'm using the Low-poo like once a week, and then co-washing with Suave coconut. I condition with the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and then scrunch in FOTE and CK. Then just scrunching with a microfiber towel and letting it air dry. Depending on how it looks, once it's dry I sometimes comb it out. (the picture is without combing)

Thank you all for all your input. It was a great way to start off my day! :wave:
    2b/c Hair
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    You have very similar hair to mine - a wavy/curly combo.
    I think what you are wanting to do is actually drop the wavy & curly out a bit. I would try using heavier conditioners and rather than scrunching up I would finger comb your hair downwards.

Don't use any curling products either. Try the FOTE just by itself and really scrunch it out when your hair is dry. That way you will not have the producty feel.

I have also been doing a lot of oil treatments (coconut, avocado) to get my hair in good condition. I don't have frizzing anymore so don't need to use as much product.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    MimsTX wrote: »
    and i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but sometimes what we WANT our hair to do and what IT wants to do are completely different things :(

There are times when I want nothing more than those smooth, frizz free waves like Kate Hudson's. And other times that I want those glossy ringlets like what some of the people on this site can get. Unfortunately, my hair just doesn't do it... but that doesn't mean it it's pretty in its own right. I've just had to learn to accept what it is and embrace it for that.

That's the hardest part of CG, to my way of thinking... not adjusting to no sulfates or silicones, but adjusting to letting my hair do what IT wants instead of trying to fight it tooth and nail all the time.

I dunno what your hair type is, and it could be that Kate Hudson-waves are perfectly do-able with your hair type, but I thought I'd put this out there as well :)
    :blob7::hello1: VERY well said!!!! I couldn't agree more it's hard to accept what our hair "limitations" are. There is nothing more I would want than to be a 3A when it comes to my hair but it just won't ever be. I'm stuck being a wavy no matter what products I use. I'm sure if we had Kate Hudsons stylist doing our hair for every red carpet event we would have gorgeous tresses also. Wonder what it looks like when she does it on her own? I bet it goes in a baseball cap or a ponytail!:glasses10:
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • frizzyMommyfrizzyMommy Posts: 39Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »
    I'm sure if we had Kate Hudsons stylist doing our hair for every red carpet event we would have gorgeous tresses also. Wonder what it looks like when she does it on her own? I bet it goes in a baseball cap or a ponytail!:glasses10:

That is very true and actually made me feel better about my ugh hair. Thank you!
    2b/c Hair
  • kat180kat180 Posts: 6,280Registered Users Curl Novice
    On the plus side I think your hair looks very beautiful in that photo and looks very similar to KH anyway!
  • BecciBecci Posts: 401Registered Users
    Your hair looks beautiful. Why on earth would you want it different?
    From U.K & started CG 13th July 08 :thumbleft:

Using VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie for co-washing and conditioning.

Using Boots curl creme

Considering going Mod-CG and using H&S once a week to prevent build up, flakes and other nastys.:confused3:
  • curlinicatorcurlinicator Posts: 911Registered Users
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with everyone else. Your hair is gorgeous! Honestly, most people -- straighties, wavies and curlies -- spend a lot of time and money trying to get their hair to look like yours.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you all for your input. There are some great ideas that I can go off of now.
    Feralcurls wrote: »

My hair is like 2b/c, and is medium textured and fairly thick. If I don't comb it out I can sometimes get spiral curls in places, but if I comb it out I can get some pretty wave patterns. I have a Deva cut, so I'm not quite sure if that would be considered layers or not.

Right now I'm using the Low-poo like once a week, and then co-washing with Suave coconut. I condition with the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink] and then scrunch in FOTE and CK. Then just scrunching with a microfiber towel and letting it air dry. Depending on how it looks, once it's dry I sometimes comb it out. (the picture is without combing)

Thank you all for all your input. It was a great way to start off my day! :wave:
    Your hair is so pretty ... I think you're doing great
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file