Soy milk

SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
We just found out that our almost 4 year old has a milk allergy. It's okay for him to eat something that has milk in the recipe (mac n cheese), but he shouldn't be drinking it (with meals or cereal or whatever). The pediatrician suggested to use soy milk instead.

My poor little guy really likes milk (we drink whole milk), and hates the soy milk (Silk brand, vanilla flavor) that I brought home from the store. Is there a certain brand that tastes more like cow's milk, or just anything that tastes good in general? The poor kid cries every day (more like whimpers, really) when presented with the soy milk.

Any recs are welcome!

*side notes* The only reason we know he has a milk allergy is because the pediatrician ordered an allergy test for him due to his frequent bouts with bronchiolitis and pneumonia. I have no idea if or how his body is reacting negatively to milk. I sort of glanced at the test result and it said the score was 1, and wasn't a serious allergy. I did not look to see what other substances were included on that test.
«1

Comments

  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 580Registered Users
    I really like rice milk, if you can get hold of that. Tastes quite sweet and nice. I'm not mad on soya milk, although it tastes OK in a cup of tea. Another one is oat milk, although rice milk is nicer.
    Sarah.

    Based in the UK. 2-something (2b?) hair. Very porous, fine and brittle/fragile

    Hair loves: Drip drying, glycerine, shea butter, oils
    Hair hates: Plopping, any kind of gel, most conditioners (scalp issues).
  • ajaneajane Posts: 323Registered Users
    Our family loves rice milk! We even got my husband's dad to drink it!
  • rileybrileyb Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sigi, did his pediatrician say if he could drink Lactaid milk? I am not sure if a respiratory allergy like your son's is caused by lactose or not, but if he can drink that it would probably be most similar to cow's milk for him.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Is there a specific brand of rice milk you'd recommend? Or is it all the same?
  • ajaneajane Posts: 323Registered Users
    We get the Rice Dream brand in vanilla in the refridgerated section. They have it at the SuperWalmart. You can buy the same brand in non-refridgerated (can't remember which section) but it doesn't taste the same. I don't remember trying another brand of it because I am not sure there is another brand available here.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    rileyb wrote: »
    Sigi, did his pediatrician say if he could drink Lactaid milk? I am not sure if a respiratory allergy like your son's is caused by lactose or not, but if he can drink that it would probably be most similar to cow's milk for him.


    I'll have to call and ask.
  • CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    I noticed that you said that you buy the vanilla flavor of Silk, have you tried the original kind also?
    33abhqq.gif
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    I noticed that you said that you buy the vanilla flavor of Silk, have you tried the original kind also?

    No, we just found out about the allergy. I figured the vanilla would taste better so that's what I got. :blush:
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    I find soy milk tastes too much like it's attempting to be cow's milk, and tastes "off." I do get it in coffee and things, but won't drink it normally. I like both Rice Dream as mentioned by another poster, and almond milk. The almond milk tastes most different to cow's milk, while still tasting good, so was my favorite. I actually discovered I can drink cow's milk, though, as long as it's organic. I think I should get a food allergy test to try to figure everything which bothers me worked out...
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

    But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Rice Dream is a good rice milk. Almond Breeze is almond milk. They have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry or regular flavor. My son is 12 and hasn't drank cow's milk since he was about 2 years old. He likes the chocolate the best.
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Edited due to a cyberstalker. Sorry, guys. :(
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I do rice milk because my baby is allergic to milk and soy. I drink Ryza brand vanilla and chocolate.

    An important thing to remember about rice milk is really isn't very nutritious. The fortified variety has calcium and vitamins in it, but it is the equivalent of skim milk when it comes to fat content. So if your son was relying on milk as a source of fat in his diet, rice milk won't do. But if its just for the "form factor" (something to put on cereal, or a bedtime drink) then its fine.

    I just noticed that you drink whole milk - rice milk is probably not going to pass muster with your lil' guy!
  • ArjaeArjae Posts: 412Registered Users
    Here's a dairy free potato milk I've always wanted to try:
    http://www.vancesfoods.com/darifree.htm
    A family I know did try it, though, and they liked it very much.
    3A, medium fine. Currently avoiding shampoos, 'cones, 'xanes and sulfates. Hair length - a bit beyond BSL. Mostly CG since July 2, 2008.oregonian_showersmile.gif
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Rice Dream Heartwise Vanilla Flavor is yummy.

    I buy the shelf stable variety. I will have to try the refrigerated type to see if tastes any different to me.

    Rice Dream also has a Horchata flavor, which is good on some cereals and by itself.

    RD can be found at FM in the natural foods section.


    Soy milk = :thumbdown:
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • LayaliLayali Curl Connoisseur Posts: 561Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Is your son lactose intolerant? If so, I recommend lactaid milk. You can buy it in whole, 2%, 1%, or skim varieties. This is what I drink.

    I also prefer almond milk to soy or rice milks. It tastes much richer and has a great nutty flavor.
    naturally 3b/3c

    Explanation by the tongue makes most things clear, but love unexplained is clearer. ~ Rumi
  • justa.grrljusta.grrl Posts: 85Registered Users
    Blue Diamond Almond Breeze is great! They have vanilla & chocolate, sweetened or unsweetened. (i've only tried unsweetened w/sugar substitute)

    Good luck with your little one.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Thanks for all the recommendations! Looks like we'll be doing some taste testing over the next few weeks.
  • merynmeryn Curl Novice Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    Try goat milk. Many people who are allergic to cow's milk can tolerate goat milk.
  • macluanmacluan Posts: 326Registered Users
    Sigi, Not to guano your thread but you said that your child can have milk in foods and from someone who has had and studied food allergies/sensitivities that doesn't add up. It is often the hidden allergens in food that continue to make people sick because they don’t know they are there. Do you mean that he can eat cheese? I’m like that. Milk will make me sick; cheese – real cheese, not kraft singles, will cause a slight reaction – sore throat, stuffy and then go away. My daughter gets really sick from any milk or dairy including whey which is many times in prepared foods. She will progress into full blown bronchitis if we don’t know she’s having an allergic reaction. We’ve found that if we know it’s an allergic reaction if we give her Ester C powered vitamin C in juice every two hours or so the reaction is milder. She hates it but she hates being really sick more. I’ve decided lately that if she is showing signs of getting sick or allergies I’m going to do this as a preventative measure because it has been so effective.

    We use goat, sheep and soy mostly. We tried rice when she was younger but there’s so much added sugar we stopped. I sometimes make almond milk.

    Dealing with a child’s food allergy can be so stressful – Good Luck!
  • ajaneajane Posts: 323Registered Users
    meryn wrote: »
    Try goat milk. Many people who are allergic to cow's milk can tolerate goat milk.

    My rusty memory banks remember reading that goat's milk is the closest to human milk and has fewer allergens. It would have more of the healthy fats and nutrients.
  • The New BlackThe New Black Curl Connoisseur Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, try almond, rice or hemp milk. I like them all. Hemp milk especially has a heavier consistency that's closer to "real" milk. I like the vanilla flavored milks.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

    I am the new Black.

    "Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Yes, try almond, rice or hemp milk. I like them all. Hemp milk especially has a heavier consistency that's closer to "real" milk. I like the vanilla flavored milks.
    I've tried rice, almond and soy, but never heard of or seen hemp milk before...I actually like them all only when flavored, and currently have Eden Soy Vanilla...must research hemp, though....
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    I have tried rice, almond, homemade almond and hemp.

    I do my best not to eat soy, so that is out totally.

    Of the four, hemp was nastiest to me. Had a horrible taste, aftertaste and just nasty. If you have ever smelled hemp seed oil, the milk tastes the the oil smells.

    Homemade almond milk is tasty to me. Store bought almond has soy in it, so I avoid it and the last time I had some, it tasted funny to me.

    So that leaves vanilla rice milk. It comes in handy with my wheat free, soy free cereal.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Windflower wrote: »
    So that leaves vanilla rice milk. It comes in handy with my wheat free, soy free cereal.

    :laughing7: Cardboard... its what's for breakfast.

    With regards to sugar - rice milk (at least Rice Dream and Ryza) doesn't have added sugar in it. It is very sweet because rice itself is high glycemic index but its not added sugar.

    I've had potato milk. Not good.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    macluan wrote: »
    Sigi, Not to guano your thread but you said that your child can have milk in foods and from someone who has had and studied food allergies/sensitivities that doesn't add up. It is often the hidden allergens in food that continue to make people sick because they don’t know they are there. Do you mean that he can eat cheese? I’m like that. Milk will make me sick; cheese – real cheese, not kraft singles, will cause a slight reaction – sore throat, stuffy and then go away. My daughter gets really sick from any milk or dairy including whey which is many times in prepared foods. She will progress into full blown bronchitis if we don’t know she’s having an allergic reaction. We’ve found that if we know it’s an allergic reaction if we give her Ester C powered vitamin C in juice every two hours or so the reaction is milder. She hates it but she hates being really sick more. I’ve decided lately that if she is showing signs of getting sick or allergies I’m going to do this as a preventative measure because it has been so effective.

    We use goat, sheep and soy mostly. We tried rice when she was younger but there’s so much added sugar we stopped. I sometimes make almond milk.

    Dealing with a child’s food allergy can be so stressful – Good Luck!

    That's the weird part, is that I don't think he has any reaction to milk or dairy products (ice cream, cheese, etc). The doc ordered an allergy test and took blood from him in May. We didn't hear back so assumed everything came back normal. When we went in over the weekend, I asked about it and he said that he has a milk allergy, but with a score of 1 (and I have no idea how the scale works) that it is mild. He said if there's a small amount of milk in a recipe it's okay, but he should substitute soy milk (but it looks like we'll be trying other things too after all this great feedback) for his cereal and if he drinks it with meals. He didn't really say anything about dairy products, just milk. I guess I'll call over there and ask about ice cream, pizza, and all those things. I haven't noticed him being gassy or having diarrhea or rashes or anything.

    The initial problem is that every time he gets a cold, it seems within a day it has escalated to bronchiolitis or pneumonia and we have to go to the doc or ER for breathing treatments. He was hospitalized in May for pneumonia and he got it again on Saturday. He has an appointment with a pulmonologist in September to see what's up.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    Windflower wrote: »
    So that leaves vanilla rice milk. It comes in handy with my wheat free, soy free cereal.

    :laughing7: Cardboard... its what's for breakfast.

    Oh yea! Some of them are so nasty...and expensive. :angry7:

    I finally found 3 brands that I like.

    Nature's Path Millet & Rice
    Peace Cereal: Gold Honey Granola

    I mix the two above for a tasty cereal and either add frozen (or fresh) blueberries or dried cranberries.

    Peace Cereal
    also has a Vanilla Almond that is really good, so good that I eat too much of it so I don't buy it very often. And there is a Berry Crisp that is also really good.

    When your daughter gets older or if you want something from the run of the mill, EnviroKidz makes a tasty Koala Crisp. It is a wheat free version of Cocoa Krispies. There is a peanut butter variety, but I don't eat PB so I haven't tried it.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • ajaneajane Posts: 323Registered Users
    Windflower wrote: »
    I have tried rice, almond, homemade almond and hemp.

    I do my best not to eat soy, so that is out totally.

    Of the four, hemp was nastiest to me. Had a horrible taste, aftertaste and just nasty. If you have ever smelled hemp seed oil, the milk tastes the the oil smells.

    Homemade almond milk is tasty to me. Store bought almond has soy in it, so I avoid it and the last time I had some, it tasted funny to me.

    So that leaves vanilla rice milk. It comes in handy with my wheat free, soy free cereal.

    How do you make homemade almond milk? We make homemade almond butter, YUM!

    I saw your later post on the Envirokids cereal, I loved the peanut butter one. But one night I was eating a bowl of it from a box I JUST opened and it was full of weevils. I thought it was a fluke, poured another bowl, added the rice milk and more weevils! I have not been able to eat cereal since. It has been about 5 years.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    ajane wrote: »
    Windflower wrote: »
    I have tried rice, almond, homemade almond and hemp.

    I do my best not to eat soy, so that is out totally.

    Of the four, hemp was nastiest to me. Had a horrible taste, aftertaste and just nasty. If you have ever smelled hemp seed oil, the milk tastes the the oil smells.

    Homemade almond milk is tasty to me. Store bought almond has soy in it, so I avoid it and the last time I had some, it tasted funny to me.

    So that leaves vanilla rice milk. It comes in handy with my wheat free, soy free cereal.

    How do you make homemade almond milk? We make homemade almond butter, YUM!

    I saw your later post on the Envirokids cereal, I loved the peanut butter one. But one night I was eating a bowl of it from a box I JUST opened and it was full of weevils. I thought it was a fluke, poured another bowl, added the rice milk and more weevils! I have not been able to eat cereal since. It has been about 5 years.

    Umm...I could have done without that story... :tongue5:

    Homemade almond milk is easy to make.

    1 cup (or more) of raw almonds
    Filtered water
    Vanilla flavoring or other flavoring
    Sweetener of choice

    Soak raw almonds overnight (or at least 6 hours) in filtered water

    I then like to hand peel each almond to remove the skin. Some people like to blend the skins and then strain it.

    Take peeled almonds and put in blender, add small amount of filtered water, flavoring, sweetener and blend. Keep adding water until desired consistency is reached.

    I think it keeps for 2 or 3 days.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • ajaneajane Posts: 323Registered Users
    Thanks for the Almond Milk recipe, Windflower.

    Sorry about the cereal story. Hope I didn't ruin you!
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Sigi wrote: »
    That's the weird part, is that I don't think he has any reaction to milk or dairy products (ice cream, cheese, etc). The doc ordered an allergy test and took blood from him in May. We didn't hear back so assumed everything came back normal. When we went in over the weekend, I asked about it and he said that he has a milk allergy, but with a score of 1 (and I have no idea how the scale works) that it is mild.

    I think I would be inclined to cut out the milk for a few weeks and if he's not feeling any different, I'd bring it back into his diet. No reason to torture the poor little guy. My daughter's allergist told me prior to testing her that there is a 10-15% false positive rate for allergy tests and he will not order any "general" tests - its only if we see a reaction and suspect an allergy that he will order a test for confirmation. His experience is that if you just randomly test for things, something is bound to come back positive and people end up having to make big lifestyle changes because of it when there was probably no allergy to begin with.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file