Does anyone else here use PERMANENT color on their hair?

cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I know alot of people here use demi-permanent colors because they are supposed be less damaging, but how about those of you who have a LOT of grey and need permanent color, as it covers much better than the demi-permanents? I tried Natural Instincts a good while back, and while I liked the product, it did squat for greys other than tinting them a very light color, even with using a medium shade(a dark shade would have been too dark for my hair). So it was back to the Preference, which DOES work very well, as well as Excellence. I'm not in a position to have my hair professionally colored, nor am I ready to grow out my grey either. I don't have the skintone that looks nice with grey, and my eyes are a very warm golden-brown, so for me haircolor really makes a big difference for the better with my appearance.
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition

Comments

• shannon35shannon35 Posts: 114Registered Users
    Have you thought about using Henna? It's all natural, permanent, great for your hair and you can pretty much dye it any color. Mehandi.com is a great site to go to learn and buy the henna. It's not that crappy store bought henna either. Just an idea and option for you to think about. Best of luck!
    comic-p.jpg
    3b curls fine/medium & porous (I think)
    CO-WASH: Suave Naturals coconut
    COND: Matrix Biolage cond. balm or
    AOHR
    ACV rince 1x wk
    LEAVE-IN: Giovanni DLI, Matrix Biolage balm or Aura Cherry Almond Bark
    GEL: HE set me up
    SKIN: Purpose gentle cleansing bar
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    thanks shannon35 - I've been looking at the hennaforhair site, but I've heard that using henna relaxes one's curls, which I DON'T want, as I'm only a mixed-texture 2C-3A. Have you personally used the body art quality quality henna yourself? Many years ago I tried the healthfood store stuff once, and all it did was make my (very few at the time)grey hairs pink - ugh! That was the last time I did so, and hairdressers tend to tell people to stay away from henna(likely to keep themselves in business!) That said, I AM intrigued, after seeing pictures of gorgeous results on hennaforhair, but I've been too chicken to try it yet!
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
  • JipJip Posts: 90Registered Users
    Another opiton for permanent is powdered hair colors.

Bigen and Water Works (which I use) can be purchased at Sally's.

Robert Craig also has a product which is available only online. http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php?location=haircolor

All of these products are deposit only and will not lift your current haircolor.
    Classic Type 4A
    Coarse Texture
    Cone, Aloe, and Glycerin Sensitive
    Recovering Product Junkie

PRE SHAMPOO TREATMENT– Coconut Oil + Magick Botanicals Oil-Free Conditioner
    SHAMPOO – Sof’nFree GroHealthy Nothing But Clarifying Shampoo (Monthly)
    CONDITIONER – Magick Botanicals Oil-Free Conditioner CoWash
    LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER – Beautiful Curls Curl Activating Shea Butter Leave-in (Curly to Kinky)
    SEALANT– Homemade Natural Butter Mix
  • CurlieGailCurlieGail Posts: 2Registered Users
    I've had to use permanent color for about five years. Prior to that I was using Natural Instincts and Hydrience. Once the gray really started coming in, I found that both salon and home-type permanent color was ruining my 3a curls. I was really pretty frustrated. I went on the Internet to read about Perfect 10 and there really is new science behind it. You will be pleasantly surprised. The color lasts a full 4-5 weeks before I see any gray and it does NOT damage my curls. Its like a miracle product to me. I actually purchase it at CVS and then bring it to my salon and they apply it for me. Its also much cheaper than damaging salon formulas. Try it.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Jip wrote: »

Robert Craig also has a product which is available only online. http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index.php?location=haircolor

All of these products are deposit only and will not lift your current haircolor.
    Yep, I've used Color by Robert Craig for over 12 years now. I have resistant gray, and getting lots of it, and it still works. :) As with most haircolors, be sure to choose a color about 2-3 shades lighter. Especially with the deposit-only, they tend to get darker since they don't lift.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    A little something to help. I received this in my inbox today. :) Made me happy since I'm considering coloring mine sometime and was wondering how to do it without damaging my hair too much and I don't want to spend big $$$ at a salon to do it. It's so not in my budget right now.

Ouidad Salon Coloring Curls 101
    Just like styling and cutting, curly hair requires special attention when it comes to color too! That's because curly hair has texture, wave and porosity - all things that will affect how color looks, and how long it will last. I want to share my color tips so curly girls can enjoy vibrant, glossy, and conditioned color with added dimension and style.

ouidad-08.jpg Color Lock
    Curly hair absorbs hair color better than any other hair type. Its corkscrew shape keeps the outer cuticle layer open, leaving the hair shaft more able to take color. Gentle, semi-permanent colorants, which normally coat the exterior of each strand, instead deposit pigments into the hair shaft itself. Meaning color will react more like permanent color and look more vibrant, lasting longer without the harsh side effects.
    Color Match
    Selecting the right shade is one of the most important steps because color complements specific curl patterns. Maximize shine, dimension and drama with the right tone:
    Loose curls are flexible, thus look great with a wide variety of colors. Medium curls are enhanced with multihued highlights for terrific "play" and dimension. Tighter curls work with tone-on-tone shades that add depth (meaning, you don't want to stray too far from the natural hair color in order to guarantee vibrant and even results.)
    Color Safe
    Curly hair reacts best to colorant-based, not bleach-based, highlights. This will provide a more natural effect while reducing damage considerably.
    Color Sealing
    Color can fade faster with curly hair. To seal in the color and extend its life, I recommend a clear glaze treatment after salon coloring. The glaze will seal the newly colored hair's cuticle to preserve it for a longer period of time.
    Color Prep
    No matter how gentle a formulation one chooses, hair color can be dehydrating to curly hair. Apply a deep conditioning treatment three days before hair coloring to get hair in prime condition and allow the colorants to absorb evenly. Ten days after coloring, repeat the deep treatment to keep the color molecules bonded and to prevent fading.
    At-Home Hints
    When using at-home hair coloring products, I suggest pouring out one-third of the developer and replacing it with distilled water to create a gentle formula that will work perfectly on curly hair.
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• hadtochangemynamehadtochangemyname Posts: 628Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for posting that! I am going to try the last tip about diluting the developer when I do my next haircolor "experiment" this weekend.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]
    [/FONT]
    Thanks for posting that! I am going to try the last tip about diluting the developer when I do my next haircolor "experiment" this weekend.

You're welcome. Glad to help. I'm going to try the tips
    tonight.:compress:
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    notegal wrote: »

You're welcome. Glad to help. I'm going to try the tips
    tonight.:compress:

Thanks from me too for posting this. :)

Anyone able to clarify this part of her email?
    Color Safe
    Curly hair reacts best to colorant-based, not bleach-based, highlights. This will provide a more natural effect while reducing damage considerably.
    What is a colorant-based highlight?
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    I would imagine it is one that has no peroxide in it.
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]
    [/FONT]
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would imagine it is one that has no peroxide in it.

Yup. Kinda figured that but is it an Ouidad color? Or another specific brand? Because usually color can't lift color. So what do you ask for specifically? Colorant based highlights?
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    I have no idea... I've never been to a stylist/colorist that had a clue what to do with curly hair :laughing7: Every one I've been to wanted to bleach some big ol' stripes in and flat iron it into submission :thumbdown:
    [/FONT]
  • andrabellandrabell Posts: 73Registered Users
    I'm naturally med-dark drab brown with quite a bit of resistant gray at the front. I like my hair light, sunny brown with no gray, so permanent color it is.

I love the root-touch up by Nice and Easy, it allows me to keep the full coloring down to every other month and even then, it's just the roots for 30 minutes and the whole head for only 5.
    IMG_1590-2.jpg
    Wash~Jason Thin to Thick Shampoo
    Leave-in~Cocoa Pink Silky Free mixed with Boots Pink Curl Cream
    Scrunch~Kinky Curly Curling Custard (bow down!)
    Style~Air dry/Pixie Curl diffuse

• clearwaterroseclearwaterrose Posts: 3Registered Users
    I also need clarification regarding the Ouidad email. Years ago I had a colorist who did color on color, but I can't find anyone now who even knows what I mean when I ask for color based highlights. They all have the same "color can't lift color" response!
    marosepond wrote: »
    I also need clarification regarding the Ouidad email. Years ago I had a colorist who did color on color, but I can't find anyone now who even knows what I mean when I ask for color based highlights. They all have the same "color can't lift color" response!

Ok...so...umm...you want someone to color your hair and then put highlights on? Is that it? Maybe you should tell them that way maybe they will get it. :)
    Ernest Hemingway

September 23, 2009

I want base color and highlights. I want the highlights to be colorant based, as mentioned in the Ouidad email. Stylists claim that highlights can only be bleach based. They can use a "color based product" on the roots, the highlights must be bleach. Hope this makes more sense!!!!
  • yellowbird23yellowbird23 Posts: 2Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    Jip wrote: »

Yep, I've used Color by Robert Craig for over 12 years now. I have resistant gray, and getting lots of it, and it still works. :) As with most haircolors, be sure to choose a color about 2-3 shades lighter. Especially with the deposit-only, they tend to get darker since they don't lift.

I love, love, love Robert Craig - it leaves my hair so soft and it lasts!

I highly recommend it!
  • CrossbowCrossbow Posts: 11Registered Users
    I do. I have dark brown hair, but I like it black. (Everyone says it brings out the blue in my eyes.) I use Feria #20, which I like because it's the blackest and glossiest. I've used a few other brands too, and I've actually never noticed them causing any damage to my hair. The texture does feel a little rougher the first day or two until I wash it (yeah, I still use shampoo once a week; it seems to make it curlier) but then it's back to normal.
    Hair type: 3b
    Color: Feria 20
    Shampoo: Suave clarifying, weekly
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals, daily
    Styling products: None!
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    cara4curls wrote: »
    thanks shannon35 - I've been looking at the hennaforhair site, but I've heard that using henna relaxes one's curls, which I DON'T want, as I'm only a mixed-texture 2C-3A. Have you personally used the body art quality quality henna yourself? Many years ago I tried the healthfood store stuff once, and all it did was make my (very few at the time)grey hairs pink - ugh! That was the last time I did so, and hairdressers tend to tell people to stay away from henna(likely to keep themselves in business!) That said, I AM intrigued, after seeing pictures of gorgeous results on hennaforhair, but I've been too chicken to try it yet!

Having just done a henna application, I thought I'd pipe in :) I noticed a little bit of curl loss at first... maybe for 2-3 days. And then, once my hair adjusted, my curls are actually tighter than they were before.

So I don't know, it's possible everyone's hair reacts a little differently but I really think the strengthening aspects of the henna helped my curls a LOT.

And I <3 the color :toothy7:
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
    I emailed the OUIDAD site, hope this helps! It helped me explain color highlights to my stylist.

AUTHOR: OUIDAD
    DATE: 10/1/2008
    SUBJECT: color
    Yes you can do color on the roots and use color based highlight. Color based highlight is much more less damaging then bleach based ones. Its just lightening your hair with out using bleach instead you would use a high level (7-10); non depositing hair color.
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    I use permament color. I don't have gray but dye my hair red. I just make sure I'm deep conditioning and I also condition daily.
    I used to dye my own hair using Feria.. but now pay to have the color done. I like the salon results more.

I had some color correcting which required bleach. There was a lot of brown in my hair and the only way to lift that was bleach. The highlight pieces went into foil and a base color was put everywhere else.
  • Shea-girl-aloeShea-girl-aloe Posts: 280Registered Users
    marosepond wrote: »
    I emailed the OUIDAD site, hope this helps! It helped me explain color highlights to my stylist.

AUTHOR: OUIDAD
    DATE: 10/1/2008
    SUBJECT: color
    Yes you can do color on the roots and use color based highlight. Color based highlight is much more less damaging then bleach based ones. Its just lightening your hair with out using bleach instead you would use a high level (7-10); non depositing hair color.
    I just finished reading, "curly girl the handbook" and in the chapter about color they mention something very similar to what you've said about not using dyes containing bleach. The book also mentioned using a coloring technic called "lowlights" which is like highlights but without bleach.
    4/b with 4/a kinks at the back of my head. :toothy4:

Keep it kinky, curly, wavy- whatever.
    Just keep it natural and keep it you, from head to toe ^_^ :hippy2: :blob4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=hollyhollyrose&view=videos

Fotki:
    http://public.fotki.com/shea-girl-aloe/
  • hellokittyhellokitty Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm especially concerned with the fact that permanent coloring, of which I have a base color and either highlights or low lights, relaxes curly hair. I have it professionally colored but it seems my stylist wants to do it too often in my opinion. He's doing the highlights every other month. After a highlight visit I can't do much with the curl in my hair for a good couple of days.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file