Mommies what is your routine

forensic_curlychickforensic_curlychick Posts: 266Registered Users
So as most of you know I have a 22 mth old and getting enough sleep and trying to keep healthy and also hair healthy is a challenge. My staple style is pretty much buns...I let out (and went out):shock: my hair this past week for the first time in years and especially since my BC.

I wouldn't say I am lazy just pressed for time and so I just wash, bun and run. I would like to break up the monotony and add some style (simple) but with minimal effort. Detangle alone take forever (time I don't have).

So while I am not intentionally leaving out anyone I wanted to know how mommies with families and especially little ones, or anyone with a crazy work schedule like mine, maintains healthy hair and how long does it takes each day to get gorgoeus, and what do you do to achieve it.

Comments

• KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Good post!

My little one will be 2 in a few days. They grow up so fast!

Right now I am staying at home with him and I just try to do things with my hair while he is asleep. I DC overnight, wash my hair and put in twists while he is taking a nap, and sometimes while he's at Mother's Morning Out. I can NOT style my hair while he is up and about, he grabs my products and tries to put it on his hair and one time he even stuck his whole fist in a tub of gel :laughing7: Do you have time at night to detangle, etc? Or are you too tired?

Twisting and fingercoiling are about the best things I can do for my hair to stay healthy with minimal time and effort on my part.

The only thing I need to improve on is my wash n go timing.
    I pretty nervous about going back to work and wearing my hair out. The most reasonable choice would be just to wear a style that will last for a few days, like twists, while I'm at work. I will only be working three days a week, but I would like to wear it out some too. I've been doing "practice runs" to try and see how fast I can wash, plop, and style. I want to get it under 10-15 minutes because it takes him that long to eat breakfast usually. So while he's in his highchair I just wash my hair in the sink.

It's trial and error, I guess. I think your bunning is a good idea and it's just good for your hair. As much as I want to wear my hair out while at work, I think that twists and twist outs are going to be my staple on workdays.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • forensic_curlychickforensic_curlychick Posts: 266Registered Users
    Hey Kitathena,

Yes!!!! thats exactly what happens when I try to do my hair when he's awake. He wants his done too or if I trying to take a bath and wash my hair (while he watching Bobby C aka spongebob), as soon as he does not see me , he come crashing into the bathroom "Mommy where are you"?

I can detangle but its usually on days when I am off and he goes to the babysitter, but I find myself trying sneek in extra hours of sleep, doing laundry, cleaning the house constantly. So I need to DT more often, twist I have never tried and braid I usually have someone do it for me. Buns and Puffs is all I know right now. I guess it will have to do because I start my internship next week and also in addtion to my others jobs so I will be up at 4 am and get home some nights at 12 and now I no longer have a day off except sundays.

Congrats on going back to work and good luck.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    im a SAHM and i have a soon to be 15 month old. my hair routine is pretty much to not have a hair routine!
    i shampoo my hair once a week and any other time i wet my hair i co wash. but mainly i try to avoid rewetting my hair. like today i wore a wash n go, tomorrow im not rewetting it and i'll just throw a headband on. the following day is my birthday so i may rewet it, but if it were just a regular old day id probably brush it out and then french braid it. and if i played my cards right, the following day id put it in a bun. if it ever feels dry inbetween the days that i wet it i add some oil and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]jessicurl wdt[/buylink] to my dry hair.
    i just dont have the time and patience to wet my hair everyday. and my little girl loves to run her fingers through my wet hair so when it dries i end up looking like fredrick douglas. not the look im typically going for. :laughing7:
  • OnyxCabeloOnyxCabelo Posts: 1,767Registered Users
    subbrock wrote: »
    im a SAHM and i have a soon to be 15 month old. my hair routine is pretty much to not have a hair routine!
    i shampoo my hair once a week and any other time i wet my hair i co wash. but mainly i try to avoid rewetting my hair. like today i wore a wash n go, tomorrow im not rewetting it and i'll just throw a headband on. the following day is my birthday so i may rewet it, but if it were just a regular old day id probably brush it out and then french braid it. and if i played my cards right, the following day id put it in a bun. if it ever feels dry inbetween the days that i wet it i add some oil and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]jessicurl wdt[/buylink] to my dry hair.
    i just dont have the time and patience to wet my hair everyday. and my little girl loves to run her fingers through my wet hair so when it dries i end up looking like fredrick douglas. not the look im typically going for. :laughing7:

:lol: at bolded! I'm a SAHM too. Mine is almost 4 mos.I try to get my routine done in the morning when she's sleeping - if I can't squeeze it in then, then I usually don't do it. To DT I add some conditioner to EVOO, and sleep in it. I then cowash it out in the morning with Abba Pure Moisture. I then condition with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Honey-Hemp-Conditioner-p-860.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-honey-hemp-conditioner]Oyin Honey Hemp[/buylink] condition. I think since my hair is still so short, I don't have as lengthy a process as you, because detangling is a breeze with shorter hair. I just whip my denmen through my hair with conditioner in it and rinse. I then apply my qhemet Olive Honey Hydrating balm, and Qhemet AOHC, and lastly apply TIGI MM to help define, I finger comb this through and let air dry. That's it. I probably do this same routine every 3 days or so. When necessary I shampoo/clarify instead of cowashing, but the rest pretty much stays the same.
    Currently:Alaffia Shea & Coconut Enriching Shampoo, Alaffia Virgin Coconut & Shea Enriching Hair Lotion, Qhemet Amla Olive Heavy Cream, Qhemet Honeybush Tea Gel.

Last Texturizer: March 12, 2008
    BC: July 21, 2008
    Hair: Coarse, low porosity, iii.

Certified Denirophile:love5:

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different outcome". ~ Albert Einstein
  • Frizzcurls427Frizzcurls427 Posts: 152Registered Users
    Hi Forensic! I have a 2 year old and I was a SAHM for 1 year and a half...During that time I would co-wash everyday most times and I would throw a head band on and go and since my hair has grown I pretty much do the same except now I can put my hair up in ponytails and puffs...So that is my staple style...I'm going to try to wear it out more often but as far as my routine now I wash once/week with Giovanni 50/50 hydrating/clarifying poo and DT overnight rinse when I get up and usually have to co-wash to detangle (this depends on how detangled it is after the DT) I then apply conditioner and leave it all in and proceed to puff it or wear it out in which I leave it alone and don't touch it while it air dries when I wear it out...I find that this reduces frizz tremendously...Anyway, I say try to deep treat overnight that way you don't have to worry about spending a day or hours during the week deep conditioning your hair and I don't really have any styling advice b/c I'm still working on trying to get 2nd day hair without rewetting...HTH
    Lovin' my curly corkscrews!
    http://public.fotki.com/Musiclova
    http://photobucket.com/Frizzcurls427
    www.youtube.com/Frizzcurls427
    http://urahautemama.blogspot
    Products: Giovanni Direct Leave In, Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, FOTE 100% aloe vera gel, Eco styler gel (olive oil), coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter,honey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file