Thinning temples

tryingtofindawaytryingtofindaway Posts: 59Registered Users
I have been lurking on this board for a while now, and have not really seen this question asked. I have a problem with thinning temples and was wondering if anyone has the solution on how to make it grow. Responses really appreciated. Help!!!!
4a/b Last relaxer July 2006 :blob7:

Several BC's, last one May 08. Now ready for some growth

Products currently using:
Giovanni leave-in condish
Vegetable glycerin
KCCC
Bentonite clay
Deva curl no poo
Aubrey Organics - Honey suckle rose
Vatika-coconut oil
Henna/Indigo

Comments

• multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There are many reasons why this could be happening. The most obvious ones are pulling hair back too tightly (buns, braids, etc) and damage from overuse of chemical treatments (relaxers, perms, coloring). Other reasons could be stress, malnutrition (not getting enough water, protein, balance of healthy foods and/or sleep), ingredients in hair products (silicones, mineral oil, etc.).

I experienced this years ago. My hair grew back when I lessened the stress in my life, ate better and started using healthier hair products ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]JC Too Shea[/buylink] and olive oil). Let us know when you find the culprit. Your hair should start growing back within one to three months.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • Hairblogger â„¢Hairblogger â„¢ Posts: 564Registered Users
    Hi TTFAW!

I agree that it could be a number of things, but you should also see a medical dermatologist in case it's a form of alopecia-areata. In which case you would need to have monthly steroid injections to the area/s (brand name Kenalog; or generic Triamcinolone) to stimulate the follicles out of their hibernating state and trigger regrowth.

There may be an old post, on NC with a list of dermatologists (or you can try the link in my sig). Good luck and please feel free to PM if you have any questions or are feeling unsure about medical attention, which is critical in dealing with auto-immuno related alopecia. There is no cure, but treatment can trigger faster remission betwen episodes tha just waiting it out...

Take care!
    'Goddess Hair & Skin Recipe Book' devotee 4life!

Co-Wash: Aubrey O. HoneySuckleRose Cond.
    Poo: 1-2x ~monthly~ w/AO 'poo+Baking Soda
    DT: Honey + any Aubrey Condish
    Leave-Ins: Sheamoisture / RJML Cactus / KBBmilk!

[/COLOR]
  • roccmycurlsroccmycurls Posts: 85Registered Users
    Try MegaTek or Ovation.

Check out this recent thread. http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=52607

Scroll down. There is a woman who has used this on her temples and they grew back in 3 weeks! She has pics.

Also, I would suggest not wearing your hair back any tight style for a long time (ie. braids, ponytails, buns etc)
    the hair revolution continues... 9 yrs. & counting....:blob7:

BCs: July '99, March '04, June '04, Sept. '04 whenever I get bored.... LOL!

products that work for me:
    homemade aloe vera/jojo/glyc/ honey/coconut oil gel
    Giovanni 50/50
    Miss Jessie's DT,
    Jessi Curl WDT

mantra: "Growth Comes Easily & Effortlessly"

PHOTOS:
    http://public.fotki.com/roccmycurls/
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've had this problem when I was relaxed and still have it, though not as bad. I plan on addressing it soon by trying Moe Grow oil. Until then , I'm just making sure that area doesn't get a lot of traction or friction from scarves or headbands. I also oil it with jojoba oil and rosemary.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • tryingtofindawaytryingtofindaway Posts: 59Registered Users
    Thank you all so much, I will try those suggestions and will post the results.

Vegetable glycerin
    KCCC
    Bentonite clay
    Deva curl no poo
    Vatika-coconut oil
    Henna/Indigo
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Could be a lot of reasons; hormones, stress/traction on the hair there from pulling it back, allergies to ingredients, friction from rubbing while sleeping.

Tell us a little more about what you are doing/your lifestyle. I had a small bald spot at my temple last year (I'm perimenopausal) so hormones definitely played a role. It has grown back. Then earlier this year my hair was shedding madly. I tried garlic treatments (an entire bulb of finely pureed garlic mixed in olive oil). They seemed to help.

Diet is important, no pressure or friction on your hairline is important. And moisturizing is important. The hair there is extremely delicate.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • Curly_DivaCurly_Diva Posts: 151Registered Users
    I tried garlic treatments (an entire bulb of finely pureed garlic mixed in olive oil). They seemed to help.

How did u apply this? Did you baggy your whole head?
    BC Feb 2008
    3c, 4a. HE, castor and jojoba oil, acv rinse
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Curly_Diva wrote: »
    I tried garlic treatments (an entire bulb of finely pureed garlic mixed in olive oil). They seemed to help.

How did u apply this? Did you baggy your whole head?
    I applied it, plastic cap over and a heat cap for about 1/2 hours. Washed it out, shampooed then did a clay treatment. Rinsed that out and conditioned. I once also combined the garlic and clay.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • tryingtofindawaytryingtofindaway Posts: 59Registered Users
    A little about me, I eat a pretty healthy diet, work out a lot, and don't pull my hair back, just because it is not long enough to do that just yet. I try to keep my hair in two strand twists as much as possible, and have been henna (ing) for the last month. My hair is getting healthier than it has been in the past, I have been natural for two years now.

I do cut my hair quite often, I get bored with it, but I am going to try and grow it out to see how far I can take it.

I moved home (Jamaica) two years ago, that is when I decided to go natural, so the weather does not really have an effect on my hair.

I don't think it is stress related, I do think that it might be heredity, because my mother's hair tends to be thin in the front as well, but for the past couple of years, it seems to have gotten worse.

I have learned tons on this website, thank you all so much...by the way, I am now officially a product junkie...

Vegetable glycerin
    KCCC
    Bentonite clay
    Deva curl no poo
    Vatika-coconut oil
    Henna/Indigo

Leave a Comment