Highlights on black/brown hair..

yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
My hair is dark brown, but it's that super duper dark brown that almost looks black. I've been thinking of getting a few highlights, but I'm looking for colors..
I don't want anything remotely red. I hate red/reddish. (on me). I was thinking of sort of a light/medium sort of ash brown. Definitely NOT blonde. My hair is way too dark. Can anyone help me find some pics of dark dark brown hair with this sort of highlights? I'm having a hard time....

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    nm
  • MalaikaMalaika Posts: 35Registered Users
    My hair is a similar dark brown color, and I don't want red or blonde highlights either. I'm thinking of trying plum mixed with dark brown, so that it's very subtle. My other idea is maybe medium ash brown for highlights. I haven't seen pics that show these colors, but if I don't like it, I can always color my hair back to dark brown, lol.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd say go to your colorist and see what they can cook up.

With your hair being so dark, you might be pretty limited on what they can manage without resorting to bleach in order to lighten more than a couple of levels (which, if you're going for an ash blond, it'd be several levels from dark brown/black).
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is dark brown, but it's that super duper dark brown that almost looks black. I've been thinking of getting a few highlights, but I'm looking for colors..
    I don't want anything remotely red. I hate red/reddish. (on me). I was thinking of sort of a light/medium sort of ash brown. Definitely NOT blonde. My hair is way too dark. Can anyone help me find some pics of dark dark brown hair with this sort of highlights? I'm having a hard time....

Thanks for any help.

If you don't want anything "red", you're going to have to use bleach, because most people with very dark hair will lift to red long before they lift to lighter ash brown or blonde colors, so don't try to do it yourself with any of those home kits, because you'll get red.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator

Thanks for any help.

If you don't want anything "red", you're going to have to use bleach, because most people with very dark hair will lift to red long before they lift to lighter ash brown or blonde colors, so don't try to do it yourself with any of those home kits, because you'll get red.

and then you'll be blue. :(
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Thanks for any help.

Thanks. yeah, I know.. I used to be a blonde. ha. That seems like a million years ago. I would never attempt this myself. I only want a few lighter brown streaks, really. Maybe. I really don't know.
    I'm just playing around with the idea.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file