shea butter - which kind?

sophiemolsophiemol Posts: 101Registered Users
I'm sorry if this has already been answered - I did a search in the forum and couldn't find it...

Is there a particluar type of shea butter (geographically) that works best? Also, do you use refined or unrefined? I've used unrefined for my hands before, and loved it, but wasn't sure how that would work on hair....

Thanks!
3a & hates mag sulfates
currently using:
AOHR
Mop Top Shampoo or Eulence 1x week
KBB nectar leave-in with KCCC

Comments

• pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    I have both unrefined shea butter and whipped shea butter. Either is fine, although I will say the whipped shea doesn't feel as heavy in my hair.
    Typically, I use the whipped shea butter in the summer on my ends or for a DT. I use the unrefined, heavier shea butter in my hair in the winter.

Hope that helps!
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I prefer it as natural as possible. That said, some unrefined is really stinky. I have both east and west african shea. I honestly think that I prefer the west for the summer, since the east is so soft naturally that it is almost TOO soft in the summer if that makes sense. I keep having to put it in the fridge to harden it. Any of them will work on your hair. I also have the whipped shea and like it too. I think I have six or seven types of shea now. :D
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sophiemolsophiemol Posts: 101Registered Users
    thanks for the replies! now, is the whipped version just creamier and of a better consistency? I remember the unrefined sample that I had really smelled...but I didn't mind it too much:wink:
    3a & hates mag sulfates
    currently using:
    AOHR
    Mop Top Shampoo or Eulence 1x week
    KBB nectar leave-in with KCCC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file