CurlTalk

No Charges?!?!? WTF....

RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
Sorry...but it's NEVER, EVER an accident when a toddler kills himself with a loaded gun...

Coroner: W.Pa. toddler dead after shooting self

The Associated Press

SIGEL, Pa.—A western Pennsylvania toddler is dead after he picked up an unattended handgun and shot himself in the head.
Elk County Coroner Louis Radkowski says 3-year-old Trey Rosenberger, who was from Beaver County, was at a camp in Millstone Township with family and friends and adults who were target shooting on Monday.
Radkowski says the gun was left loaded and unattended on a chair when the boy picked up the gun around 11 a.m. The death has been ruled an accident. State Police are investigating. No charges have been filed.

Comments

• AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users
    Sorry...but it's NEVER, EVER an accident when a toddler kills himself with a loaded gun...

The Associated Press

SIGEL, Pa.—A western Pennsylvania toddler is dead after he picked up an unattended handgun and shot himself in the head.
    Elk County Coroner Louis Radkowski says 3-year-old Trey Rosenberger, who was from Beaver County, was at a camp in Millstone Township with family and friends and adults who were target shooting on Monday.
    Radkowski says the gun was left loaded and unattended on a chair when the boy picked up the gun around 11 a.m. The death has been ruled an accident. State Police are investigating. No charges have been filed.

I would have thought they would be charged with at least involuntary manslaughter or some kind of negligence with a child. That's horribly irresponsible and ridiculous.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator

The Associated Press

um, neglect? that's so sad. :sad8:
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Very tragic. Another example of how much lea way authorities are willing to give bad parents.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I would have thought they would be charged with at least involuntary manslaughter or some kind of negligence with a child. That's horribly irresponsible and ridiculous.

Yeah, some kind of negligence for sure. I hope these people at least have their gun license taken away.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's just awful... :(
    Definitely negligence, for sure..how could it not be?
  • nadinanadina Posts: 640Registered Users
    i don't know, it's definitely a tragedy. but i have mixed feelings about prosecuting someone who just lost their child bc of their own negligence.... i think they're being punished sufficiently.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    nadina wrote: »
    i don't know, it's definitely a tragedy. but i have mixed feelings about prosecuting someone who just lost their child bc of their own negligence.... i think they're being punished sufficiently.

I don't. Seems like this kind of stuff keeps happening, so maybe we (as a society) need to set a stronger example for all the other stupid parents who have loaded guns around their little kids.

Lots of people go to prision because of neglegence that resulted in a death. I imagine most drunk drivers don't have any intention of hurting someone when they get behind the wheel, or drug addicted parents whose kids die because they were high, or didn't put their drugs up probably suffer emotionally for it too. But we wouldn't hesitate to lock them away. This is no different.

We as a society always say that child welfare and safety is a high priority, but our actions speak differently. If we really want to protect children, we need to start putting our money where our mouth is and stop giving people the benefit of the doubt just because they successfully used their reproductive organs.
    dp
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users

I don't. Seems like this kind of stuff keeps happening, so maybe we (as a society) need to set a stronger example for all the other stupid parents who have loaded guns around their little kids.

I don't either.
    Of course this family is grieving, but who in the HELL leaves a loaded gun sitting on a ****ing chair to where a toddler can reach it?
    I do have to wonder what kind of gun it was, though, cause even I think pulling the trigger on a .45 or a 9mm is a little tough (that was a while ago though).
    :rambo:
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It was a .44 caliber revolver.
    How on earth was he able to pull the trigger?
    And it was just sitting on a chair while they were in another room making breakfast? :( That's insanity. How can you leave a loaded gun, ready to go, just lying around with a child in the house? I don't get it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    And it was just sitting on a chair while they were in another room making breakfast? :( That's insanity. How can you leave a loaded gun, ready to go, just lying around with a child in the house? I don't get it.

This is what I was thinking too. It just makes NO sense. This kind of insanity angers me to no end.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users

I'm floored that anyone would leave a loaded gun laying on a chair in any kind of company. Even in a house full of adults, that seems exceptionally stupid and irresponsible.

With a child in the house, though? That's criminal. And should be prosecuted.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • nadinanadina Posts: 640Registered Users

i gotcha, and it's true this kind of carelessness needs to stop. but i don't think throwing more and more people in jail has really decreased the problem over time. clearly this one family is never going to leave out a gun again. it's other people that we need to worry about....

how about a public education campaign or something? incentives to buy childproof containers for guns?

cympreni, i think you could compare this situation to a drunk driver who kills their own child or family member. but i think the level of negligence is much higher for the drunk driver. and they have direct control over the car in that case. but it's true, i don't have a problem with putting away that person.

i'm also thinking of a woman i met years ago whose 5 children died in a house fire. it wasn't clear who caused the fire at first, i think it came out that it was actually her daughter. but the mom covered it up, and the police were still looking to prosecute her. that's probably where my hesitancy comes form.
  • kcckcc Posts: 681Registered Users
    That is so sad. Something needs to be done to keep this from happening. Ridiculous that there was a loaded gun in the house anyway (in my opinion), and it was within the reach of a child. What made the parents think that was okay??
    And you know, I'm really not totally sold on the sandwich idea. They're kind of traditional, I know I said that, don't question me about that, but they aren't really all that chic, you know? --fig jam
    I don't think a public education campaign would do squat. I think the only preventative measures that would work for this particular problem would be to either outlaw guns, or require people to take intelligence tests before they're allowed to procreate. It doesn't take a whole lot of common sense to know you shouldn't leave a loaded weapon laying around.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    I'm stunned that no one is being charged with negligence or involuntary manslaughter. That's incomprehensible to me; a 3 yr. old is dead because the adults in his life left a loaded gun on a chair! How could they be so careless? I'm sure they feel very guilty, and they should, but criminal charges should still be filed.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • 2happy2happy Posts: 5,138Registered Users
    cympreni wrote: »
    I think the only preventative measures that would work for this particular problem would be to either outlaw guns, or require people to take intelligence tests before they're allowed to procreate.
    I'm completely against outlawing guns, but I'm all for a test before you procreate!!
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
    Location - WI
  • PigletPiglet Posts: 1,451Registered Users

We as a society always say that child welfare and safety is a high priority, but our actions speak differently. If we really want to protect children, we need to start putting our money where our mouth is and stop giving people the benefit of the doubt just because they successfully used their reproductive organs.

So what do you suggest we do? I'm not being snarky, just curious.
    Yes, my tail is naturally curly.
    No, it was NOT me who cried 'wee wee wee wee wee' all the way home.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    cympreni, i think you could compare this situation to a drunk driver who kills their own child or family member. but i think the level of negligence is much higher for the drunk driver. and they have direct control over the car in that case. but it's true, i don't have a problem with putting away that person.

See I disagree. Someone who owns a gun is responsible for keeping it out of the wrong hands. Presumably the owner was not drunk and their judgement was not impaired, so I see no excuse for their negligence.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    Piglet wrote: »

So what do you suggest we do? I'm not being snarky, just curious.

Give more money to programs that protect children. It's been a well known fact that social workers and child welfare systems have been overworked forever. Give them the money they need to do their jobs effectively.

With minor physical abuse. You take anger management, counseling and parenting classes stuff along that lines and monitored. Second time, second time you lose your kids for a while, third you lose them forever. Same thing for neglect. In this country, there is no reason for a kid to go hungry or not have proper clothing. But not everyone knows what kind of resources are out there for families in need.

If you hit your children causing serious injury requiring medical attention, or serious neglect, then no second chance, you lose your kids permenantley, go to jail and pay support payments along with their medical and therapy bills.

It just drives me insane, you hit an adult it's assault, but hit a kid, and too many cases just a slap on the wrist.

I am so unbelievably sick of hearing tragic stories of children killed by their parents then learning that that child had been removed several times before. Family is important, but not that important.

Google Tajanay Bailey, an Indiana case from last thanksgiving. I've mentioned her before, but her story really affected me. It still makes me cry just to think about it. She was a beautiful 3 year old angel, who probably thousands of people would give everything to be able to call her their daughter. She had been removed several times for abuse and neglect and spent most of her life in foster care. They were actually in the process of permanently removing her, when she got a new social worker, who decided family was too important to give up. Despite the fact they hadn't gone through the required steps, and were both unemployed, they sent her home for a 30 day trial period. Tajanay didn't last a week. Her "parents" systematically tortured her to death all because she wet the bed.

Here's s blog her foster mother made in her memory. What really makes this case tragic, is it was 100% preventable. The evidence was there, plain as day. People failed Tajanay on every level, from the parents who didn't take care of her, to social workers making bad choices, hospitals not reporting injuries, to police reports of domestic abuse going unnoticed, to the judge who allowed her to be returned, to the neighbors and family members who have to have known something.

These things should not be tolerated. We spend billions of dollars on various programs and stuff that don't really matter. Billions on a war in another land, on our own defense, but when it comes to protecting the most defenseless in our own borders we are seriously lacking.
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users
    I don't think a public education campaign would do squat. I think the only preventative measures that would work for this particular problem would be to either outlaw guns, or require people to take intelligence tests before they're allowed to procreate..

Not a fan of the Constitution, are you?
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
    Scarlet wrote: »
    I don't think a public education campaign would do squat. I think the only preventative measures that would work for this particular problem would be to either outlaw guns, or require people to take intelligence tests before they're allowed to procreate..

I am. I was being sarcastic. Although in theory the testing idea is a good one though, but more then likely wouldn't work in reality. too much power, who's going to judge the judgers etc.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users

I am. I was being sarcastic. Although in theory the testing idea is a good one though, but more then likely wouldn't work in reality. too much power, who's going to judge the judgers etc.

Are you serious? So basically it would be illegal to have sex unless you pass a test?
    Josephine wrote: »

Are you serious? So basically it would be illegal to have sex unless you pass a test?

I said IN THEORY but it wouldn't work! Haven't you ever heard a joke about requiring an IQ test for something?
  • KrazyblondegurlKrazyblondegurl Posts: 1,008Registered Users
    Josephine wrote: »

Not a bad idea actually.

I invite all of you to come work on a pediatric ward some night. Take care of a couple babies who have been beat to the point of having retinal hemorrahages and subdural hematomas. Then take care of their parents too who are still allowed in the patient's room.

You'll form an opinion real quick.

Yep, laws are entirely too lax.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote: »

See I disagree. Someone who owns a gun is responsible for keeping it out of the wrong hands. Presumably the owner was not drunk and their judgement was not impaired, so I see no excuse for their negligence.

ITA.

ETA: If you're going to be a gun owner and a parent, it's just part of the gig to keep the guns away from the kids so things like this don't happen. If you can't be trusted to do that, maybe you shouldn't be one or the other.
    More food for thought

In this country you need a license:
    to drive a car
    catch a fish
    own a dog
    hunt
    own a gun
    to get married plus medical testing for that
    to work in a number of professional fields

ETA: AND we make people jump through hoops with high expectations that a large % of people couldn't meet to adopt a child

But any ******* psycho, or crackhead can have a kid if their equipment works.

If that's not ironic, I don't know what is.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    More food for thought

In this country you need a license:
    to drive a car
    catch a fish
    own a dog
    hunt
    own a gun
    to get married plus medical testing for that
    to work in a number of professional fields

But any ******* can have a kid.

If that's not ironic, I don't know what is.

I agree with you, but the difference is that there's no way to stop people from having kids. There's no way to prevent people from having sex or to force them to use BC, and you certainly can't force people to have abortions.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5: