My hair is crunchy and I don't know why

RoanokeRoanoke Posts: 9Registered Users
Ever since I started CG, my roots (well, all the hair above my ears, really) have been stiff and crunchy. I'm not using any styling products at the moment, so it's not the crunch that comes from gel. I clarified before starting CG and did an ACV rinse this morning, but it's still stiff. It feels like I have gel in it, but I don't. Is this normal? Is it just my hair adjusting to the lack of shampoo? My hair would be lovely if it wasn't for this. Please help! :cry:

ETA: I scrubbed my scalp agressively this morning in the shower and the stiffness/crunch is mostly gone. I guess it was buildup or something. Thanks for your help, MimsTX!
CG since August 9, 2008 :toothy7:
Current Routine: Co-wash twice a week with Suave Ocean Breeze, condition daily with AOHR
Experimenting with: Jessicurl CCSS and RR, Suave Green Apple as a leave-in

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    that's strange... your ends aren't straw-like or crunchy too??
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • RoanokeRoanoke Posts: 9Registered Users
    Nope, just my roots. The ends are actually really smooth and soft, so that's why the stiffness is so strange.
    CG since August 9, 2008 :toothy7:
    Current Routine: Co-wash twice a week with Suave Ocean Breeze, condition daily with AOHR
    Experimenting with: Jessicurl CCSS and RR, Suave Green Apple as a leave-in
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    hmm....

it SOUNDS like buildup... maybe try putting some baking soda in warm water and pouring that over it, scrubbing at the roots a bit? I've never used it, but a friend who was trying to go 'poo-less swears by it.

I'd wait and see what someone more experienced has to say though. It's weird that it's just the one part of your hair.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file