South Beach Diary

badgercurlsbadgercurls Registered Users Posts: 3,077
I started the South Beach Diet yesterday to try to help get myself past a plateau in my weight loss. I hope keeping a log will help me stay accountable and also help me keep track of what worked and didn't work for me. Feel free to chime in here if you've done or are doing SBD (or something similar)!

Yesterday (day 1 of phase 1):
Brunch (slept in super late): 1/2 of a veggie frittata with tomato, onion, avocado, bell peppers, and zucchini. Green tea.

Snack: plain Greek yogurt + spices (cinnamon, ginger, Pumpkin Pie spice) and pecans

Snack: edamame

Dinner: chicken breast marinated in olive oil, garlic, spices and balsamic vinegar with roasted asparagus and a big salad

Snack: peanut butter and pistachios with a glass of milk

Today, so far:
Breakfast: other half of the veggie fritatta with green tea

Snack: pistachios (about 10)

Now I'm meeting up with a friend at a coffee shop so that will be a challenge. I think I'll stick to plain coffee with 2% milk or green tea.

Comments

• badgercurlsbadgercurls Registered Users Posts: 3,077
    Yay! I survived the coffee shop with no pastries or sugary drinks. I stuck to jasmine green tea.

The rest of today has gone well, too. I think I'm over my "nut allowance" but I didn't eat nearly as much at each meal as I'm supposed to, so I don't think that's a big deal.

Lunch:
    Homemade turkey chili (no sugar in the sauce)
    Almonds (~15)

Snack:
    Edamame

Dinner:
    Salad greens with chicken breast

Snack:
    Chocolate "pudding" made with Greek yogurt, low-fat ricotta, a touch of cream cheese, some unsweetened cocoa powder, a bit of stevia and a dash of mint extract - so delicious and rich!
    Yesterday:
    Breakfast - scrambled eggs with deli turkey and cheese
    Lunch - chicken breast on salad
    Dinner - homemade chili
    Snacks - nuts (pecans, pistachios), string cheese

Lots of herbal tea has been helping me deal with sweets cravings. I've been drinking licorice mint tea like it's going out of style. ;)

Today:
    Breakfast - scramble eggs with cheese (need to find something else - I'm getting sick of eggs)
    Lunch - chicken breast, string cheese
    Dinner - two tomato-basil chicken sausages with a big green salad
    Snacks: nuts, may have another chocolate "pudding" tonight

So far, so good. I've lost three pounds in three days! Crazy! It literally took me two months to lose the three pounds before that. I am sure a lot of that is water weight, but heck I'll take anything I can get.

I am going out to celebrate with my friends tonight and I'm not supposed to drink any alcohol during the first 2 weeks of SBD, so I will hopefully stick to water or diet soda, but it will be hard!
  • susancnwsusancnw Registered Users Posts: 1,374 Curl Novice
    Congratulations. I've not gone full fledged into SB, but I am changing a few things about what I eat...and I'll continue the modified stuff for another week or two. Money is really tight right now so I am working around what we having for meals. I've not had the drastic weight loss that a lot of folks have the first 2 weeks, but I've gotten into a pair of shorts that were tight 3 weeks ago and my jeans are looser. check out the SBD support group on yahoogroups.com. Lovely group of people and VERY encouraging.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/South-Beach-Diet-Getting-It-Right/

I'm finding that sugar free popsicles, fudgesicles and jello and pudding are perfect snacks. I don't do almonds as I love them and not sure I could start at a few.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

Thanks, susan! That link looks really helpful.

I agree it's getting expensive, so I'm trying to be careful about what I buy. I am trying to do SBD strictly because I know that I do better with real/strict plans rather than modifying it. If I modify it, I will sneak in some cereal here and a bagel there and the next thing I know, I'm eating cheesecake for breakfast! ;)

I am now down 5 pounds! This is insane. I am sure most of it is water weight and I will be careful not to put it back on by going back to my old eating habits, but it's so encouraging to see the scale move after being at a plateau for so long. The only down side is that my cute new jeans look really silly now because they're baggy!
    Yesterday:
    Breakfast:
    Greek yogurt with 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, cinnamon, and a few slivered almonds (was only able to eat about 1/3 of it - so filling!)

Lunch:
    Stir-fry with garlic, asparagus, eggplant, white onion, green onion, red pepper, and tofu in homemade peanut sauce

Dinner:

leftovers from lunch

Snacks:
    nuts (pistachios, almonds), edamame

----

Right now I have a huge veggie and turkey frittata baking in the oven for brunch! :)
    The frittata was good and turned out to be HUGE, so I ate it for dinner, too!

Yesterday went well:
    Breakfast:
    the last slice of frittata

Lunch:
    My boyfriend and I went out for lunch. I was able to stay on plan because we went to a make-your-own stir-fry place. It was hard to resist their great brown rice and their delicious flat bread, but I did it.

Dinner:
    Chicken breast with edamame

Snacks:
    cheese, almonds, pistachios

I did something really stupid today, though... I accidentally bought a bottle of regular Wild Cherry Pepsi instead of diet! I didn't realize until I was about a third of the way through it that it wasn't diet. Jeez - if I were going to "cheat" on my diet, I would have done it with something much more exciting than soda! I got a headache about an hour later, but other than that nothing seems to have happened. I will be much more careful from now on!

Today:
    Breakfast:
    scrambled eggs - I need to find something other than eggs to eat, but they're so easy.

Lunch:
    Greek yogurt + almonds

Dinner:
    Taco salad (ground chicken, spices, black beans, onion, and salsa mixed together and set on top of a big bowl of salad greens, topped with low fat Mexican cheese). Even my non-dieting boyfriend liked it! :)

Snacks:
    Almonds, pistachios, string cheese, sugar-free Jello pudding (I broke down and bought sugar-free dessert because I needed something creamy and sweet)
    Yesterday:
    Breakfast - scrambled eggs and green tea

Lunch - A friend asked me to go out to lunch at the last minute, but I was able to stay on plan and get a really delicious salad with grilled chicken and freshly made vinaigrette. It was really good - but it was hard to pass up the restaurant's amazing homemade pitas.

Dinner - I had been craving my favorite pizza (Feta-Licious from a local place - Glass Nickel Pizza Company) really badly, because someone was talking about it in my office. So I made something healthier with the same flavors: red onions, garlic, mushrooms, (no sugar added) tomato sauce, chickpeas, a shredded Italian cheese blend from Whole Foods, and low fat feta cooked together in a saucepan. So good! The next time I make it, I think I will put it in a casserole dish and sprinkle the feta on top, then put it under the broiler until it's browned and bubbly!

Snacks: almonds, sugar free pudding + Benefiber powder (having some constipation issues because I'm used to eating 40+ grams of fiber a day)

Also, one of my new favorite things is Klarbrunn Black Cherry sparkling water. It has no calories, no sodium, and is naturally flavored.
    Today:

Breakfast - a glass of milk and a spoonful of peanut butter (oops - just wasn't very hungry!)

Lunch: leftover feta/chickpea salad

Dinner: turkey sausage and scrambled eggs, big salad

Snacks: a few almonds, string cheese, sugar free pudding

I didn't get nearly enough veggies today - I'm out of everything but salad greens right now. Time to go shopping tomorrow!
  • lauraloolauraloo Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Today:

Breakfast - a glass of milk and a spoonful of peanut butter (oops - just wasn't very hungry!)

Lunch: leftover feta/chickpea salad

Dinner: turkey sausage and scrambled eggs, big salad

Snacks: a few almonds, string cheese, sugar free pudding

I didn't get nearly enough veggies today - I'm out of everything but salad greens right now. Time to go shopping tomorrow!

Care to share the name of the chickpea salad? I love beans/chickpeas and want to incorporate them into my SBD foods... The only other food that I can have and I can think of to put beans in is chili.

Also, as gross as it is, V8 juice gives you over 1/2 cup of veggies in a 6oz can... so I just hold my nose and chug it! Fast and easy, no chopping or anything.

Good for you for doing so well! I hope I can stay on track as long as you have.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls
    lauraloo wrote: »
    Care to share the name of the chickpea salad? I love beans/chickpeas and want to incorporate them into my SBD foods... The only other food that I can have and I can think of to put beans in is chili.

Also, as gross as it is, V8 juice gives you over 1/2 cup of veggies in a 6oz can... so I just hold my nose and chug it! Fast and easy, no chopping or anything.

Good for you for doing so well! I hope I can stay on track as long as you have.

Thanks! I will have to check out V-8. The only time I've had it was when I was a kid and I hated it - maybe I can stomach it now.

The chickpea/feta salad was the impromptu recipe I whipped up on Wednesday because I really wanted feta pizza! :) So it doesn't really have a name, but I can share the "recipe" (I don't know if you can call it that, because it's so easy!):

1) In a saucepan, heat up ~1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat.
    2) Add 1/2 of a red onion (chopped) and a clove of garlic (minced) and heat until the onion is translucent.
    3) Add 1/2 cup mushrooms chopped into small pieces, 1/2 cup tomato sauce (check the label to make sure there's no added sugar), and a can of chickpeas (rinsed and drained). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for a few minutes until everything is heated through.
    4) Stir in about 1/4 cup Italian shredded cheese and 1/4 cup low-fat feta until somewhat melted.

Voila! An easy lunch or dinner! It made 3 fairly big servings for me, which was good because it tasted even better the next day. You could also add other veggies that you like - I just used mushrooms and red onion because those are the two veggies on the pizza I was craving.
    Friday:
    Breakfast: milk + almonds

Lunch: ground turkey, veggies, tomato sauce, and cheese

Snack - I went to a reception for our department and am very proud of myself for not giving in to the chocolate cake everyone was raving about! I had some cheese cubes, hummus, and a small piece of chicken.

Dinner: leftovers from lunch

Saturday:

Breakfast - squeaky-fresh cheese curds from the farmers' market and pecans

Lunch: leftovers from yesterday + black beans

Dinner: SO made baked chicken breast with tomatoes, garlic, and chickpeas

Snacks: plain yogurt with cinnamon and pecans, lots of tea (I just discovered decaf chai - yay!)

Today's plan:
    Breakfast: plain yogurt with cinnamon and pecans

Lunch: black beans, salsa, and cheese and a green salad

Dinner: chicken breast or turkey burger with asparagus

Snacks: pecans, almonds, cheese curds
    Tomorrow I get to start phase 2! Yay - I can eat oatmeal again! But for today, I am still on phase 1.

Breakfast:
    Scrambled eggs and a glass of milk

Lunch:
    Greek yogurt with almonds, string cheese, a few pecans

Dinner:
    Chicken and bean soup (SO made it with leftover chicken breasts- really good!)

Snack:
    Sugar free pudding + Benefiber
    Add a sprinkle of Mrs Das or just plain salt to the V-8 - makes a big difference.

Doing better than I am - but my jeans are definitely getting looser, so that's good. I completely fell off today - my boss was in the office for the first time in several months at the same time I was there...so he took me to lunch Mexican food with a real coke. Spinach enchiladas, I avoided the rice and had some beans. Today is also my youngest daughter's 9th bd - so corndogs, mac and cheese and cake for dinner. But I had eggs for breakfast :D.

Tomorrow will be eggs for breakfast, tuna salad for lunch, cheese stick for snack, sugar free chocolate pudding for dessert and then maybe cottage cheese for dinner. I could get more creative, but oddly enough, that is often satisfying for me for a day.

Susan
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

susancnw wrote: »

Doing better than I am - but my jeans are definitely getting looser, so that's good.

That's always a reason to celebrate! Today I put on a pair of jeans that hasn't fit me in almost a year and they fit. They don't look great, but they fit! :viking:

Today was day one of phase two. Oh how I have missed thee, oatmeal! It was a real treat to have it this morning!

Breakfast:
    steel cut oatmeal with coconut oil, ground flax seeds, and a few pecans

Lunch:
    was in a huge hurry between classes so only two string cheese pieces and a few pecans

Dinner:
    lemon pepper chicken breast and oven-roasted asparagus

Dessert: microwave "baked" apple with cinnamon
    How much coconut oil did you use? I like to cook with it, but I'm hesitant to use it again.

Yep, fell off the wagon big time yesterday...my youngest daughter's BD - cake, corn dogs and mac and cheese. Fortunately, I didn't feel a need to gorge on it, and went back on it today with no problems.

2 eggs, over easy, 6 oz 1% milk.
    Decaf coffee at work, non fat cream and splenda.
    Cheese stick for snack
    Tuna salad in a large tomato for lunch, but I only ate half of it, iced tea and sugar free chocolate pudding.
    Cottage cheese for dinner...okay, I had a sliver of cake - but it is a pink cat cake that hubby made for her :D

But I am finding that when I fall off, I don't overeat or gorge myself. I'll be really good for the next 2 weeks, then we are going to the mountains with my BIL/SIL for the weekend...so I'll relax. I have a recipe for crepes so I'll bring that along for breakfast, my daughter just requested lasagna for dinner one night...we'll see about the rest. Fortunately, the grocery up there didn't have higher prices than down here, so we won't take as much food as we did last time.

My challenge to myself will be how well I will 'behave' that weekend.

s-event.png

I used about a tablespoon of coconut oil, but that ended up being too much, because it was way too filling. Somewhere between a teaspoon and half a tablespoon may be about right for me.

I have been lucky that there haven't been any major events that involve eating since I've been on SBD except for the cocktail hour reception I went to on Friday (and the food there was not that great or abundant, so it wasn't a huge deal.) I skipped a potluck cookout Saturday because I had to work, but I know it would have been REALLY hard if I had gone to stay on track. So I totally understand about "falling off the wagon" on birthdays and such!
    So after the initial 6 pound loss the first week, I've been at a plateau. I'm not complaining because 6 pounds is a lot, but I'm a bit concerned.

Anyway, I decided to add up the calories of what I ate yesterday on SparkPeople.com and figured out what may be the problem - I ate more than usual and was still under 1000 calories! YIKES! I think my body is in starvation mode. The problem is that the foods I'm eating aren't very appealing to me plus they're so filling I keep forgetting to eat enough. I'm going to try hard to eat more the next few days and will see if that helps. No wonder I've been feeling lethargic lately - I thought it was just because I was adjusting to my new class schedule.
    I consciously ate a lot more than usual yesterday (while still sticking with the SBD guidelines) and this morning I was down another pound. Woohoo! It's just going to take more effort to eat enough. I have to start planning my meals ahead of time.
    I have stopped writing down every meal because it got really tedious, but I have stayed on track for three and a half weeks and have lost a total of 8 pounds so far! I'm really excited about that. If I keep losing at the rate of 1 lb a week recommended in the book for Phase 2, I will be at my goal weight by my birthday (December 26). Yay! I'd love to ask for smaller clothes for Christmas. :)

The book says that you'll lose weight from your stomach first and my experience has been just that. My stomach and upper body are so much smaller - all of a sudden I can see the muscle in my arms even though I haven't weight lifted in a few weeks (gotta get back into that!). I'm still carrying extra weight in my legs and hips, but that's a lot easier to hide.
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    Badgercurls and Susan, how's the diet going?

I might decide to try South Beach myself. I'm afraid I'm hitting a plateau on losing my pregnancy weight. If I do, I'll probably need to modify it slightly to account for breastfeeding.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Registered Users Posts: 2,949 Curl Neophyte
    I was wondering too. I just started SBD again today, and I've enjoyed reading your menus for inspiration!
    Other than the past few days, it's been going very well. I have lost 9 pounds so far without a lot of effort. :) This week has been bad because I had to have a colonoscopy yesterday (totally unrelated to SBD!) so my diet has been very limited for the past few days with prep and recovery. Once my stomach isn't so touchy - hopefully tomorrow or Thursday - I will get back to SBD.

I really need to start working out again, too! I have finally adjusted to my new schedule, so I expect that once I start working out the weight loss will be even better.
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Registered Users Posts: 1,280
    I am trying to get back on the Beach. I have been on the beach today, but I am wondering how to modify it to accomodate my family...and the fact that they are not on the beach. I'm going to join your thread here... make it more accountable.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    I just started yesterday. Well, I'm modifying it, so I don't know if it still "counts" as South Beach. I'm cutting out white carbs, but allowing a few whole grains. I'm not limiting my dairy because I need calcium for breastfeeding. And I'm still using regular sugar in my coffee.

This morning my weight was up 1 lb. :thumbdown: I'm considering that water weight or a fluke.
    sarah42 wrote: »
    I just started yesterday. Well, I'm modifying it, so I don't know if it still "counts" as South Beach. I'm cutting out white carbs, but allowing a few whole grains. I'm not limiting my dairy because I need calcium for breastfeeding. And I'm still using regular sugar in my coffee.

This morning my weight was up 1 lb. :thumbdown: I'm considering that water weight or a fluke.

I'm doing something similar...I have sweet tea (I'm in the south, from the south...gotta have it.) But, only in the a.m. I am not eating the other whites or any breads. How do you account for the carbs in dried beans?

Does anyone else find that cutting out their carbs makes them weak? Everytime I do this, it really messes my workouts up. I did Pump last night, and I was so freaking weak. I made it through, but it was HARD....
    CK is the one!!

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Beans are okay; the carbs in them are "good" carbs, not sugars or anything processed. However, I've read a few things that say that they should be eaten sparingly during phase 1 if you're doing strict SB. It sounds like you're not, so I wouldn't worry about them

I am now down almost 11 pounds! :D I did strict South Beach for phase 1, which I think was necessary for me to cut down on sugar cravings. Now that I'm doing phase 2, I'm not paying attention to the nut and dairy maximums, but am following the rest of the reccomendations.

Something that's been really helpful to me in the past few weeks is Sweet Simplicity zero-calorie sweetener. It's made from erythritol, which is a natural sugar alcohol rather than a chemical derivative of sugar. I think there are several other sweeteners made with erythritol, but SS was on sale so I bought it. I hate artificial sweeteners and stevia has a weird aftertaste to me, but I really like this one. I've been eating it in my oatmeal sometimes, and I discovered that adding a packet to a cut-up apple along with some cinnamon and microwaving the whole thing is a great snack (especially if you add pecans or walnuts or even peanut butter to the top!)
    Some meal ideas for those of you who're just starting, since LAwoman found the earlier ones helpful. (Caveat: I'm doing phase 2 now, so I have 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of whole grains a day, so if you're doing phase 1 some of these might not work.)

Breakfast:
    • Quiche with no crust
    • Scrambled eggs and turkey bacon
    • Plain Greek yogurt with almonds, pecans, and/or berries (sweetened with sugar substitute if necessary)
    • Smoothie with small amount of fruit, lots of Greek yogurt, a handful of spinach (you can't taste it), kefir or milk, and a scoop of protein powder
    Lunch:
    • Salad with leftover turkey or chicken and no/low sugar dressing
    • Black beans with salsa, guacamole, and low-fat Mexican cheese over salad greens
    • Chickpeas with feta, spinach, red onion, and mushrooms
    • Whole grain high-fiber wrap (read labels carefully) with hummus, turkey, and romaine
    Dinner:
    • Turkey burgers with no bun and a veggie side
    • Chicken breasts with no-sugar sauces and steamed veggies on the side
    • Turkey meatballs with tomato sauce (+ added veggies in the sauce)
    • Black beans, turkey andouille sausage, and brown rice with a salad on the side
  • LAwomanLAwoman Registered Users Posts: 2,949 Curl Neophyte
    I love the Greek yogurt for breakfast (or any time of the day!) With a little natural peanut butter...mmmm.

I'm still getting carbs from beans and milk and vegetables, but I was a little woozy at first from sugar withdrawl. That seems to have passed though. :)
    Beans are okay; the carbs in them are "good" carbs, not sugars or anything processed. However, I've read a few things that say that they should be eaten sparingly during phase 1 if you're doing strict SB. It sounds like you're not, so I wouldn't worry about them

I am now down almost 11 pounds! :D I did strict South Beach for phase 1, which I think was necessary for me to cut down on sugar cravings. Now that I'm doing phase 2, I'm not paying attention to the nut and dairy maximums, but am following the rest of the reccomendations.

Something that's been really helpful to me in the past few weeks is Sweet Simplicity zero-calorie sweetener. It's made from erythritol, which is a natural sugar alcohol rather than a chemical derivative of sugar. I think there are several other sweeteners made with erythritol, but SS was on sale so I bought it. I hate artificial sweeteners and stevia has a weird aftertaste to me, but I really like this one. I've been eating it in my oatmeal sometimes, and I discovered that adding a packet to a cut-up apple along with some cinnamon and microwaving the whole thing is a great snack (especially if you add pecans or walnuts or even peanut butter to the top!)

Congrats on the weight loss. I am in day 4 1/2 of almost South Beach. I say almost, because I have had some stuff that I probably shouldn't have. I am due to start my period today and I ate 4 pieces of dark chocolate yesterday (spread throughout the day.) I was not a sugar craving, it was definitely a chocolate thing, I could almost taste the chocolate. I also have had a few mung bean noodles, no wheat involved, but has a lot of carbs. I made a pot of soup the other day and my DH put leftover noodles in it. And the worst thing that I had was a bite of choco chip cookie dough... but it was ONLY 1 bite.

I am still having weakness/light-headedness issues when I work out. I did Pump last night, I wasn't as strong as usual, but I felt like I was really sweating out some toxins...it was like I had this extra heat that I could feel that I was burning off. I went running yesterday morning and my legs were so heavy. I was able to push through it...but it's a weird feeling. (I am an exercise addict.)

I have done the strict Phase 1 before. I just cannot make myself be THAT strict this time. I have to cook for my family, so I have to be able to make things that we ALL can eat...I just don't eat the bread part. Last night for dinner, there were potato chips on the table. (DH can't eat a burger w/o chips.) I was actually able to resist them. I had broccoli with hummus instead.

Where did you get the Sweet Simplicity? I can't do splenda...it has BAD side effects, if KWIM. I have been making my tea with 1/2 sugar and 1/2 equal...baby steps this time.... baby steps.

ETA: I am also going to only do this during the week... we order pizza on Friday nights...
    CK is the one!!

Congrats on your progress so far, hope to curl! I think it's smart to adapt it in a way that you know you can follow. For me, the temptation to eat only carbs is too great to let myself follow it not strictly, but it sounds like you have more willpower than I do (only one bite of a cookie!?). :)

I bought Sweet Simplicity at Whole Foods. They had at least two other sweeteners with the same ingredients, too, but I can't remember the name of them. I bought SS because it was on sale, but I think ordinarily, one of the other brands is a little cheaper.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file