CurlTalk

Am I A Traitor If I Get A Texturizer After My Transition

cysycacysyca Posts: 362Registered Users
:sad8: I'm keeping my options open and wonder if anyone else is at least thinking about getting a texturizer espeically if your hair becomes unmanageable? I know for sure that I'll never get my hair fully relaxed but I don't know if I won't say "no" to a texturizer. I still have until April 09 but I'm keeping Miss Jessie on speed dial.
Live For Today!

Comments

• qhwaheedqhwaheed Posts: 11Registered Users
    I don't believe in there being a such thing as a "traitor" when it refers to going natural. It all depends on your motivation and why you are transitioning. If you are doing to get your hair in a healthier state in order to put a texturizer in your hair, then that is your choice. personally, I am transitioning because I am sick of being dependent on a relaxer. Also, I have thick hair which I did not want to eventually thin because of a relaxer.

So, it all depends on what you want, but there are NO traitors here:icon_smile:
    3c/4a texture
    ---
    -Nexxus ColorAssure Poo ( once in a while)
    -Suave Color Care CoWash
    -LustreSilk Shea Butter Deep Conditioner ( every other day)
    -Henna and Placenta Deep Conditioner
    -Cantu Shea Butter Moisturizer
    -Olive Oil
    -LongAid Curl Activator Gel

:flower:*Im a product junkie....sue me*:flower:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fqhwaheed%2F" class="Popup
  • rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Posts: 910Registered Users
    I agree with qhwaheed. Saying you would be a traitor is being hard on yourself. You have to do what is right for you. I'm in transition and its because my hair is thin, and unhealthy. I have accepted my curly hair, and I don't feel complete with relaxers anymore. Good luck!
  • curlee1curlee1 Posts: 48Registered Users
    no you're not a traitor!!! I just got a tex lask weekend and i feel that I will be able to care for my hair better because I won't have deadly knots (the ones that have to be cut). The whole process only took 15 fron app to rinse. I'm happy with the results too, I have more manageagle hair but it's still big and poofy too!

Remember you have to do whats best for you. if that means getting a tex then let it be so...besides you could get one every 6months to a year if you so desire.

research and look at all your options then decide.
    Okay, maybe traitor was the wrong word, and yes I only have to please myself. Thank you ladies for responding and I just wanted to know how most of the NC people felt about getting a tex after transitioning.
    Live For Today!
  • LilluLillu Posts: 182Registered Users
    Hi cycyca!

I think all all transitioners want to believe 100% that we will love our hair when it is fully natural, and that the end goal is healthy, natural hair... but in reality we also want our hair to a) look good and b) be manageable in our daily life!

I have asked myself the same question lots of times since i started transitioning... what if i cant deal with my hair, its so thick and huge even now, plus i couldnt cope with it when it was natural before. What if it looks awful and feels terrible... what if i can never use a hairbrush ever again? If this is the case I know for a fact I will be straight down the hairdressers for some sort of help... i'm not too sure what a texturiser actually is but if it is something not as hardcore as a relaxer then I would be well up for it. I would never say it makes u a traitor, and if it does, then honey we can be 'traitors' together!! :wink:

HTH xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

p.s. curlee1, i remember the deadly knots... *shudder* i had a few of those cut out in my natural youth!!!
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    Transitioned Sep'07-Nov'08
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:
    Alba Botanical Leave-in is my irst HG :-)
    Condish: AOHR
    Co-wash: Original Source Tea Tree Mint
    Post-BC hair HATES protein!
  • Mo_Gemini22Mo_Gemini22 Posts: 485Registered Users
    cysyca wrote: »
    :sad8: I'm keeping my options open and wonder if anyone else is at least thinking about getting a texturizer espeically if your hair becomes unmanageable? I know for sure that I'll never get my hair fully relaxed but I don't know if I won't say "no" to a texturizer. I still have until April 09 but I'm keeping Miss Jessie on speed dial.

No, no, no. Just remember the texturizer is upkeep though. When I transitioned I wore kinky twists for 2 and half months and a curly wig for about 6 months. I started doing twist -n- curl and then I BC'd this month. I feel so much better!

You can do it!
    Last relaxer - July 07
    BC - 8/2/08
    4B headband-holic
    Products in rotation (too many!):
    Shampoo - Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Giovanni Tea Tree
    Condish - Giovanni Smooth as Silk, Trader Joe Nourish Spa
    Leave in - Sheamoisture Curl Milk, KCNT, Giovanni Direct
    Deep Treatment - Apoghee Two Step Protein Treatment, Giovanni Nutrafix
    Moisturizers - Carefree Curl Gold Spray
    Stylers - Sheamoisture Curl Smoothie
  • soon2bsoon2b Posts: 220Registered Users
    I agree that you definitely have to decide what is best for you, but if ur trying to get away from chemicals then a tex is still the same concept. I think often when ppl finally go completely natural they have high expectations for what their hair will be. It may take a while for u to re-learn to do your hair and have a routine that works for you. ppl often think their hair isn't manageable and really they just have yet to learn how to manage it. It takes time and patience.
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS
  • cysycacysyca Posts: 362Registered Users
    Lillu wrote: »
    Hi cycyca!

I think all all transitioners want to believe 100% that we will love our hair when it is fully natural, and that the end goal is healthy, natural hair... but in reality we also want our hair to a) look good and b) be manageable in our daily life!

I have asked myself the same question lots of times since i started transitioning... what if i cant deal with my hair, its so thick and huge even now, plus i couldnt cope with it when it was natural before. What if it looks awful and feels terrible... what if i can never use a hairbrush ever again? If this is the case I know for a fact I will be straight down the hairdressers for some sort of help... i'm not too sure what a texturiser actually is but if it is something not as hardcore as a relaxer then I would be well up for it. I would never say it makes u a traitor, and if it does, then honey we can be 'traitors' together!! :wink:

HTH xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

p.s. curlee1, i remember the deadly knots... *shudder* i had a few of those cut out in my natural youth!!!

You hit the spot! That's exactly what I mean but I'll be patient and wait to see what happens in 09. Thanks for the encouragement and the traitors' club.:toothy7:
    Live For Today!

No, no, no. Just remember the texturizer is upkeep though. When I transitioned I wore kinky twists for 2 and half months and a curly wig for about 6 months. I started doing twist -n- curl and then I BC'd this month. I feel so much better!

You can do it!

You're so kind and thank you. I'll need support when I finally go for my BC in April 09 and I'll probably feel better. Also, congratulations on your BC!
    Live For Today!
    soon2b wrote: »
    I agree that you definitely have to decide what is best for you, but if ur trying to get away from chemicals then a tex is still the same concept. I think often when ppl finally go completely natural they have high expectations for what their hair will be. It may take a while for u to re-learn to do your hair and have a routine that works for you. ppl often think their hair isn't manageable and really they just have yet to learn how to manage it. It takes time and patience.

Yes I agree it takes time and patience and this will be a challenge for me because my hair has not been natural in ** years. On the positive side, I won't be bored and I'll always have NC to go to when I have a bad hair day. Thank you.
    Live For Today!
    traitors' club.
    :laughing6: :headbang:

Cant wait til April 09 and our BC!!!

*whispers*... but on the other hand, I am so scared that after I do it I will hate my hair and then I'll have cut off my lovely long hair for NOTHING. :oops:
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:
    traitors' club.
    :laughing6: :headbang:

Cant wait til April 09 and our BC!!!

*whispers*... but on the other hand, I am so scared that after I do it I will hate my hair and then I'll have cut off my lovely long hair for NOTHING. :oops:

You're the greatest:wink:. And I'm also scared because this is my first BC. We have to continue to support each other, thank you. BC April 09 here we come.:laughing7:

*whispers*...same here and my hair isn't even damaged, I'm just tired of the straight look.
    Live For Today!
    And I'm also scared because this is my first BC.

Mine too!! I've had BSL hair since 2001, and knowing it will takes donkeys years to grow my natural hair to that length, especially as it shrinks SO much, is so depressing! I am really scared also that my hair will grow and grow but just shrink more and more, so it will NEVER be long!!!!! What will i do then? I'd HAVE to get a texturiser or something... arrrrgh!

Oh wow u r so brave to transition even though your hair is healthy!!! That is wonderful! I decided i had to as my hair broke off and i lost a good 3 inches overnight... that scared me to death and i was scared it would all break off so i decided to stop relaxing. Having said that though since i started DTing and taking seriously good care of my hair for the transition, my relaxed hair has never looked better and is pretty amazing... no breakage whatsoever so far (touch wood). So... sometimes i think why am i bothering!! If my natural hair wasnt getting so curly and pretty i would be straight back to the relaxer if im honest!! Oh god am i going straight to Transitioner Traitors Hell for saying that arent i!
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:
    And I'm also scared because this is my first BC.

Mine too!! I've had BSL hair since 2001, and knowing it will takes donkeys years to grow my natural hair to that length, especially as it shrinks SO much, is so depressing! I am really scared also that my hair will grow and grow but just shrink more and more, so it will NEVER be long!!!!! What will i do then? I'd HAVE to get a texturiser or something... arrrrgh!

It sounds like your hair is healthy without any chemicals so do U really think its wise to put anything including a tex in your hair? I bet your hair is just beautiful, share pics.
    Live For Today!
    It sounds like your hair is healthy without any chemicals so do U really think its wise to put anything including a tex in your hair? I bet your hair is just beautiful, share pics.

Aw thank you! My hair is hopefully healthy, i know it is well strong and does what it wants, so im hoping that is a good sign of healthy hair! I am too embarrassed to post pics... maybe around our BC time i will get up the nerve!!! xxx
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:

Aw thank you! My hair is hopefully healthy, i know it is well strong and does what it wants, so im hoping that is a good sign of healthy hair! I am too embarrassed to post pics... maybe around our BC time i will get up the nerve!!! xxx
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:

Lillu,

Now we are confirmed BC sistas and I'll wait until our BC in April. We can do it! and thanks for keeping me going.
    Cyn :nike:
    Live For Today!
  • isaisa Posts: 13Registered Users
    I am new to this site. What is BC
    Isa
  • isaisa Posts: 13Registered Users
    I'm new to this site. What is BC??
    Isa
  • mixededmixeded Posts: 381Registered Users
    isa wrote: »
    Isa

Welcome! :)

And BC stands for Big Chop, when you decide to chop off your relaxed ends and reveal your natural hair in all its glory.
    :duckie: Fotki!
    Last relaxer: Feb. 2008
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
    [

Lillu,

Now we are confirmed BC sistas and I'll wait until our BC in April. We can do it! and thanks for keeping me going.

Hiya honey!! How is it going?

I've a little update... i did a little chop on the back layer of my hair right underneath, where I think it is more 3b than 3c... and when its wet it is ringlety and soft and hangs downwards... so far so good!!

But when its dry, and I comb it out to flat iron it, its sticks straight out and is HUGE! Im having nightmare reminders of when I was a kid... if all of my hair is like this (and this is the least curly bit so the rest will be worse) how am I going to cope with it???????????????????????? I am one step closer to being a traitor!!!

What is your natural growth like now, and how are you dealing with it?

Thanks for all your support so far honey! xxxxx
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:
  • PearlyCurlyPearlyCurly Posts: 54Registered Users
    isa wrote: »
    Isa

BIG CHOP,

To cutt all of the relaxed ends off.
    :afro:
    3B-4A
    I:love4:Water + HE
    My baby daddy is the Denman D4!
    pearlycurlyavi-vi.jpg
    fotki.com/miaangel247
    [

Lillu,

Hiya honey!! How is it going?

I've a little update... i did a little chop on the back layer of my hair right underneath, where I think it is more 3b than 3c... and when its wet it is ringlety and soft and hangs downwards... so far so good!!

But when its dry, and I comb it out to flat iron it, its sticks straight out and is HUGE! Im having nightmare reminders of when I was a kid... if all of my hair is like this (and this is the least curly bit so the rest will be worse) how am I going to cope with it???????????????????????? I am one step closer to being a traitor!!!

What is your natural growth like now, and how are you dealing with it?

Thanks for all your support so far honey! xxxxx

Hi Lillu,

Your hair sounds lovely and full of body and I understand if you don't want to BC in April and you're not a traitor.

My natural growth is also a challenge because my hair is so thick but fine and the 2 different textures are driving me crazy. It was easier dealing with this when I wore braids instead of a bun, but hey, I'm never bored. Another way I'm dealing with this is by becoming a product junkie, to see what products work for me.

Anyway, you are still by BC sista whether you want to BC in April or not. :thumbup:
    Live For Today!
  • Miss.Four-AMiss.Four-A Posts: 160Registered Users

girl what ever makes u happy but u know then we aint gonna be partners in crime lol jus playing i got u but REALLY tink it thru

Hi Lillu,

Your hair sounds lovely and full of body and I understand if you don't want to BC in April and you're not a traitor.

My natural growth is also a challenge because my hair is so thick but fine and the 2 different textures are driving me crazy. It was easier dealing with this when I wore braids instead of a bun, but hey, I'm never bored. Another way I'm dealing with this is by becoming a product junkie, to see what products work for me.

Anyway, you are still by BC sista whether you want to BC in April or not. :thumbup:

Thanks honey!! Yep I'm still on track for the April BC, for sure! I am really hoping that the extra few inches I'll have by then will mean my hair will hang down when its dry-combed instead of out... do any other curlies have the same thing when they comb their hair? I mean i know combing curly hair when its dry always ends in disaster, but it looks like ive been electrified!!

Anyway you are sooooooooo right abut the product junkie thing! The only thing that will save me from turning to the texturiser after April is some good-ass products!! Ive gone and ordered a heap of Karen's Body Beautiful stuff, and the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink]... have u tried any of these things??
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:
    Anyway you are sooooooooo right abut the product junkie thing! The only thing that will save me from turning to the texturiser after April is some good-ass products!! Ive gone and ordered a heap of Karen's Body Beautiful stuff, and the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink]... have u tried any of these things??

I just got the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink] and have been using it as a deep conditioner and as a leave-in with good results. It's very moisturizing.
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
    mixeded wrote: »

I just got the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink] and have been using it as a deep conditioner and as a leave-in with good results. It's very moisturizing.

Yes, I tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink] and it's great. I also learned that can't use shea butter on my hair cuz I woke up the other day and my hair was as hard a brick! No kidding, I couldn't even run my fingers through my hair. But on the positive side, my skin loves shea butter.:laughing1:
    Live For Today!

Hi mixeded, I have just had a look at your pics, and your curls are really lovely!! My hair looks really similar to yours, so hopefully the WDT will work for me too then, i am still waiting for my KBB and Jessiecurl WDT, but they should be here anyday now, so excited!
    3c spirals & corkscrews!
    BCed 21st Nov 2008!!

My hair likes:

Hi mixeded, I have just had a look at your pics, and your curls are really lovely!! My hair looks really similar to yours, so hopefully the WDT will work for me too then, i am still waiting for my KBB and Jessiecurl WDT, but they should be here anyday now, so excited!

Thank you! :) Good luck with those products and be sure to let us know how they work for you.
    Big Chop:
    Jan. 2009
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    Yeah, we have a shooting squad waiting for you outside (JK).

You know from you photos, your new growth looks great. It looks like you're trying to flatten it out. It may be time for you to work with the volume rather than making it conform with the straight stuff.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.