newbie questions about CG - is it OK with color-treated hair?

cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm intrigued, especially after seeing photos of people's hair here, before and after. Some photos were light night and day, others were less dramatic, but ALL looked better on CG. I've been coloring my hair with regular ol' permanent color for many years(L'Oreal Preference), and shampooing and conditioning only once every 5-7 days anyway. Would I benefit from CG, or should I give this a pass? My hair type is 2C(on top, and a teeny bit on the hairline in back)-3A(the rest of it), plentiful and thick. I didn't lose any hair with menopause, far from it - LOL!
I did use a cheap clarifying shampoo the last time I shampooed, so I don't have any build-up in my hair right now. Also, instead of my usual LA Looks gel, I applied straight extra-virgin coconut oil - wow! My hair LOVES this! Before applying, my hair with no gel in it was poofy and frizzy, and after, my curls were better-defined, and my hair is MUCH softer! Since then, a few days now, I've been using a small spritzer bottle with plain water and a few drops of lavender essential oil added to it as a refresher - very nice!
Am I a CG/modified CG candidate or not? Thoughts? Thanks!
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair will love you if you do CG. You're a perfect candidate. You'll be surprised what it will do for you. Your canopy may be dry, therefore, less curly. Welcome aboard!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the positive reinforcement! Now, one thing I don't quite understand yet - do I have to use another conditioner after I've conditioner-washed, or what? I've seen some other info about the CG method here, but am still a little unsure. One thing I have going for me though is that I've never had oily hair in my life, so the "greasies" I don't think will be a problem for me.
    I'm going to see if my library has Lorraine Massey's book too.
    OK, one more question - is LA Looks gel CG-friendly, or not?
  • RoanokeRoanoke Posts: 9Registered Users
    After you co-wash, you need to use a conditioner on the length of your hair. Some people use the same conditioner they washed with, and some people need something richer.

I've never had oily hair either, but my hair was a bit greasy for the first couple weeks, so don't assume it won't be.

I think LA Looks gel is CG-friendly.
    CG since August 9, 2008 :toothy7:
    Current Routine: Co-wash twice a week with Suave Ocean Breeze, condition daily with AOHR
    Experimenting with: Jessicurl CCSS and RR, Suave Green Apple as a leave-in
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Now, one thing I don't quite understand yet - do I have to use another conditioner after I've conditioner-washed, or what? Yes. The cowash conditioner is used to wash. Usually a cheaper conditioner such as VO 5 or Suave Naturals. The rinse out conditioner is usually a richer, probably pricier conditioner.

I've seen some other info about the CG method here, but am still a little unsure. One thing I have going for me though is that I've never had oily hair in my life, so the "greasies" I don't think will be a problem for me.
    I'm going to see if my library has Lorraine Massey's book too. I, personally, feel that you can get enough information on this website. The CG book is supposed to be reissued. If it has more information, it may help. Here's a useful link for newbies: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=47564

OK, one more question - is LA Looks gel CG-friendly, or not? I think it is.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lizyounglizyoung Posts: 44Registered Users
    Roanoke wrote: »
    After you co-wash, you need to use a conditioner on the length of your hair. Some people use the same conditioner they washed with, and some people need something richer.

I first did the CG method several years ago when I still had artificial color in my hair. Worked fine.
    I am one who uses the same conditioner for co-washing and regular conditioning.

liz
    2c/3b ii CG since 27.08.08
    Using:
    Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or Trader Joe's Nourish condish; Kiss My Face Upper Management Styling gel
    Drying: with microfibre waffle weave dish towels from Walmart and a diffuser when I feel like it
    Contemplating: trying a curl cream
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "I first did the CG method several years ago when I still had artificial color in my hair. Worked fine.
    I am one who uses the same conditioner for co-washing and regular conditioning." - lizyoung

Thanks - that would keep it really simple for me! I'm considering the Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner to start with. By the way, you picture looks great with your silvery curls! Hopefully mine will look that good when I'm ready to go grey(not yet though, even though I AM 61).
  • eweniqueewenique Posts: 1,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I colored and used SLS shampoo for years, too, and didn't realize just how dried out my hair had become. The wavy curls that I had when I was younger had pretty much disappeared. When I started CG over a year ago, I was amazed at how the curls came back. You may get even curlier as your hair becomes healthier. Good luck!
    2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
    COs: Yes to Cucumbers
    Stylers: Miss Jessies Coily Custard, KCCC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Simply. Use Soap
    www.TheLatheredLamb.com
    www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file