I think I'm done with perming

ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
It's gone pretty well, in that there's no damage, but I feel like it's just another way of fighting my natural hair, which is typical "2": wavy-ish on top, botticelli underneath. I wonder what would happen if I treated it CG and eschewed blow-drying, but didn't perm? I think the key is the right balance of layers.

What do my fellow 2's think? Do you layer?:grommit:

Comments

• anairamanairam Posts: 26Registered Users
    I am the same. Or was. I am still trying to figure my canopy, but it is definitely curlier than when I started. I do have layer but they are long. For me, the secret is conditioner and gel.
    I use Innersense QCC, Ck and BHRG.

You can try the DT also. It helps to bring the moisture in.
    I am from Argentina, but I have lived in USA for 3 years. My hair is different here and I had to learn everything again.
    CG from 1/16/04
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Is DT Detox?
  • anairamanairam Posts: 26Registered Users
    No, Deep Treatment.
    I am from Argentina, but I have lived in USA for 3 years. My hair is different here and I had to learn everything again.
    CG from 1/16/04
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ninja dog wrote: »
    It's gone pretty well, in that there's no damage, but I feel like it's just another way of fighting my natural hair, which is typical "2": wavy-ish on top, botticelli underneath. I wonder what would happen if I treated it CG and eschewed blow-drying, but didn't perm? I think the key is the right balance of layers.

What do my fellow 2's think? Do you layer?:grommit:
    I dont know how we can get away without layers. THe right length is still a mystery to me, I'm waiting to get my hair cut and wondering what other 2's like for their ideal length. I know if the layers are above my cheek it's a disaster for me, they seem to be wanting to start right at or a little below chin level but my hair is long. Product seems to play a key part too, I thought I needed a cut BADLY about 2wks ago but held off until I got my CK and since then I'm not sure I"m gonna rush off to spend $70 on a cut! Gonna wait as long as possible cuz things have improved for me!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree that some TLC, moisture and the right products do wonders. when I first started, my hair was a lot less curly. Now, with tons of TLC, lots of DT's, and finding the right products has done tons for my hair.

Also, layers are my saving grace. Without layers, I think it would be a big disaster. Like the bad 80's hair gone psycho. Long, chunky layers are a definite must for me.

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    Definitely longer layers, at least in my case. But I'm a crazy mix of 2c/3a/3b.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • beanenabeanena Posts: 6Registered Users
    Definatly layers. One length weighs hair down especially wavy. I've usually let my hair grown long until it reaches my tush but always with layers then I cut it above my shoulders also with layers and enjoy it growing out. At different lengths the curls/waves do their thing. Just remember if it's on the shorter side it really won't do anything but puff out if the layers are long. It pretty pointless to have it in long layers if it's on the shorter side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2s on top (not fine tho. Medium) 2b on sides and back. Shoulder length for now.
    I've been thinking about the shortest layer being about earlobe length. Is that where yours start?
    You probably weren't asking me, but that's where mine start. Anything shorter than that and it doesn't curl anymore.

I'm happy to hear from anyone with information, SG. Thanks!

I've found I get stupid little horns instead of curls if my layers start shorter than earlobe length.
  • micol124micol124 Posts: 171Registered Users
    Hi! I am a thick haired 2c, and I just cut my own hair (GOSH! I KNOW!!!) because salons can usually do a decent job anyway. I got LOTS of layers, I did the pony tail method. My shortest is at my ear lobes when stretched, which means it looks 1/2 that lenght, in the front, and BSL in the back! :) I did the ponytail mathod, and you know what? I love it. I bet I took ar least 1/3 of my hair off, but it feels like more, and finally I don't get weird poofy anymore! :)
    I need to seriously DT though, so I wil hold off on picts until I got it down! :)
    2c/3a - Miii - Coarse - Low porosity I think

CG since 02/08

low-poo, 20/80 honey and JC TS, ACV rinse, honey and TW

http://public.fotki.com/micol124/going-cg/
    Wait, what's BSL in this context? So your front is longer than your back?
    I believe BSL=Bra Strap Length. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, right. I think that's it. Thank you!
    ninja dog, yeah, bra strap lenght. Yes, my hair is shorted in the front than in the back. Usually when stylists try I get the triangle effect even with their layers in (I have so much hair, EVERY hair stylists goes "Oh my GD, you have so much hair, here, so and so and so, feel this, this is amazing, unnatural, yadi yadi ya!":tongue5:) and then the back half of head's hair pushed the front half into my eyes, so even face framing layers go kaput.
    I will have to post a picture, it actually looks really good, but I have to DT first, so I will sometimes this weekend :)

CG since 02/08

Ok, I just put pictures in my Fotki :blob7:
    I am finally happy with my waves :toothy7:

CG since 02/08

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    micol124 wrote: »

Wowzers! Your hair looks phenomenal!

I'm so glad you decided to stop perming. I permed my long hair for years because I didn't know what to do with my hair. Because I didn't get long layers, or have any idea how to do my hair (scrunching, upside diffusing) I thought it was the only way to deal with the weird kinks and bends. (It was also the days before in home flat irons.)

CG has done so much for my hair. That and a good hair sytlist. I have layers that reach to my chin or below. I have to keep my hair longer. Shoulder length gives me helmet head.

Good luck. It seems you're well on your way. :D
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
    Yup, I'm jealous. Your hair is looking good!

• MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    micol124 wrote: »

I'd like to second that Wowzers, please. Gorgeous.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
    Yup, I'm jealous. Your hair is looking good!
    I'd like to second that Wowzers, please. Gorgeous.

Awwwww, you guys, those are my very first hair compliments....:cry::occasion9: I almost have a little tear coming down my cheek... it has been difficult for me to like them, since there's soo much of it, but I guess I had to DT the heck out of it!

Again, thank you soo much, you all made my day!!!!:love6:

CG since 02/08

Uh.....I'm the permer, not Micol. Just FYI.:oops:
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »
    Uh.....I'm the permer, not Micol. Just FYI.:oops:

DOH! I am so sorry Ninja Dog. :(

My comments about perming still apply even though I can't see your hair.
    I permed my long hair for years because I didn't know what to do with my hair. Because I didn't get long layers, or have any idea how to do my hair (scrunching, upside diffusing) I thought it was the only way to deal with the weird kinks and bends. (It was also the days before in home flat irons.)

CG has done so much for my hair. That and a good hair sytlist. I have layers that reach to my chin or below. I have to keep my hair longer. Shoulder length gives me helmet head.

Layers give me better curl but I still don't have as much curl on top as underneath. If I want more curl, I skipcurl or pincurl.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
    Does plopping help you curl your canopy? My curls come out deeply weird when I pincurl, and I can't do the skipcurl at all.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file