Anyone like me?

ringlets of fireringlets of fire Posts: 105Registered Users
I'm so glad that I found this site. I'm not sure I picked the right hair type... because nothing seems to fit. My hair is odd. It can be perfect ringlets all on it's own. That, of course, never happens when I try to get curls. It does ringlets after swimming in the ocean or lake and drying in the wind. So, that's one extreme - very curly, all uniform ringlets. The other extreme is waves with some curls. If I overcondition or overbrush my hair, it looks more wavy/less curls. What I did not see in matching hair types is that my hair is COARSE. Each strand is super thick. I'm a redhead and have heard that we have thicker/coarser hair strands. However, I know many redheads who have softer, finer hair. I'm not sure where I fit in.
Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil

Comments

• wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair isn't coarse, but some of the rest of your description sounds familiar....... Does yours look anything like the photo next to my name?

I think hair often doesn't fit in neat categories.

Welcome, by the way!

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • ringlets of fireringlets of fire Posts: 105Registered Users
    Mine does look like yours, but not all the time. When it's well conditioned and behaving, it looks like your pic.
    Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair sounds a lot like mine. I have really thick, coarse hair strands as well (I'm naturally strawberry blonde, but i think it's more genetic. My sister's naturally almost platinum blonde and hers is even thicker than mine is...)

My hair's super curly when wet, but when I put products on it tends to pull the curls down just a little bit. And forget brushing it lol, I look like a tumbleweed. However, I can't see to OVER condition my hair. It's naturally really really dry. That could come from trying to straighten it periodically for so many years though.

All that being said (sorry, I tend to ramble), welcome! You'll find lots of people with hair similar to yours in a lot of ways, and everyone should have some tips they can share with you on what they do that seems to work :) It's all a matter of trial and error. Try some things, and hopefully you'll stumble upon your holy grail of routines :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • cristacrista Posts: 116Registered Users
    Yes, welcome! We're glad you're here!
    Crista

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file