want your recipes for a newbie!

avsfanavsfan Posts: 95Registered Users
At the risk of upsetting non-newbies, I'm looking for some fun help! (believe me, I've spent hours reading and searching on this site!)

I am going to become a modified CG; actually, I don't know if that's even true. Isn't a CG someone that doesn't use sulfate and cones? Because I haven't used those in a long time! I guess I thought being a CG was more of the CO wash stuff.

ANYWAY, here's a list of the stuff I bought today and already have. Throw some recipes at me that a natural girl with 2cMii hair would love! (and that a newbie can make!!!)

What I bought today:

castor oil (cold presses/processed)
jojoba oil (organic)
sunflower oil (100% expeller pressed)
Dr. Bronner’s pure-castile soap (baby mild)
100% shea butter (by Alaffia)
100% cocoa butter (by Aura Cacia)
12 metal all purpose clips
[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-ease-Towel-p-500.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curlease-curlease-towel]Curl-ease towel[/buylink]
Suave daily clarifying shampoo
flax seeds!
in transit: CV soap and shampoo trials =)

already have:
ACV
baking soda
olive oil (but not EV)
raw honey (and processed, too)
FOTE
Giovanni TTTT conditioner

And to help me keep them straight, could you label what your recipe is for? DTs, conditioners, rinses, leave-in condish, moisturizers, etc. Thanks!!!=)
Sulfate- and non-water-soluble silicone-free since 8/2008

Just about medium everything:
medium texture, low-medium porosity, medium density
Day One hair: 2c
Day Two hair: 2a
2c-3a in the summer time

Protein sensitive. Still looking for
products...
used to have curls, now it's consistently just waves...

Comments

• avsfanavsfan Posts: 95Registered Users

So my experiment last night consisted of the same honey-vinegar rinse as before, but I wanted to try adding some honey as a leave in or styler, because it did so much to reduce my frizz the first time.

When I was done with everything else and ready to get out of the shower, I put a little blob of honey in my wet hands (maybe macadamia nut sized or so - maybe a little more) and quickly rubbed my hands together. It liquefied almost immediately, and then I had to work fast. I leaned forward and smoothed my honeyed palms down my wet hair, working both sides well before wet-brushing it through. Then, I rinsed my hands and wrapped my still sopping hair losely in my towel, just so it didn't drip diluted honey down my back while I finished drying off.

About five minutes later, I took my hair out of the towel and smoothed in plenty of FOTE, then wet-brushed that through, too. I then put in two duckbill clips alongside my part, flipped my head down, scrunched, plopped into a flour sack towel, and went to sleep...

when I unplopped, I left my head tipped down and sprayed a light layer of Tightly Wound all over my hair. I grabbed my ionic difuser/dryer and got to work pixiecurling until as close to 100% dry as I could manage.

You know what? Best hair day EVER that I can remember!! Great curl formation all the way from root to tip, shine to beat all hell, no frizz AT ALL, and barely crunchy!

(a somewhat edited clip of her post)

2c-3a in the summer time

products...
    DT
    I have started using cocoa oil butter and just brushing it into wet hair and wrapping my hair in a flour sack towel, then wandering around all day with it on. Works great.

I used to use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]Jessicurl WDT[/buylink] and it does work well.

2c-3a in the summer time

products...
  • pigreyhoundpigreyhound Posts: 764Registered Users
    Wow! That is quite a list!!

For what it is worth, here is what I use:
    1. Basic Flax Seed Gel:
    Boil one cup of water with 4 tsp of flax seeds. I usually pull the mixture off the heat after 7 minutes, strain while it is still easy to strain, and then put it back on the heat to thicken up for 3-5 minutes. Take off the heat and let cool for a bit, then add 2 tsp - 1 tbsp of aloe vera gel and whisk to mix. Put in the fridge. Lasts 1-2 weeks.

2. I use Aloe Vera gel, about 1-2 tbsp in dripping wet hair, scrunch, then put in 1-2 tbsp of flax seed gel on top of that and scrunch. Plop with Curlease for 10-15 minutes. Diffuse. Scrunch out crunch with cocoa butter oil or shea butter or castor oil.

3. Cocoa butter oil works well as leave-in under the flax seed gel.

4. ACV Rinse I use it at least once a week, usually after I do the DT. I use a light acv rinse, only 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to four cups of warm water. THen rinse with cold water.

5. baking soda rinse I have done this a couple times when my hair really felt gunky. 2 tsp of baking soda to 2 cups of water. Rinse with cold water.

6. Oil rinse A few times, when my hair was very dry, I washed my hair in the shower, raked through a couple tsp of cocoa butter oil, and let it sit while I finished my shower. Rinse the hair and let dry naturally if you can.

7. castor oil for scrunching and halo BotticelliBabe is the originator of this tip (at least for me). A tiny bit of castor oil seems to help hold the hair when you are finished styling and help with halo. It is sticky and works like a manual form of hairspray for me.

Hope that helps.
    Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
    CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
    Co-wash: TJ Nourish
    Protein: CJ Repair Me
    Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
    Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
    Thank you pigreyhound!!! I love your numbered items. (and thanks for explaining how to scrunch out the crunch!!)

Here are some other tips that I found. (Just trying to move into the same thread for easier use!)
    Do deep treatments:

an EVOO and honey and conditioner DT
    Clay hair mask (clay, honey and/or yogurt oil, water or coconut milk)

Nourishing butters on my wet ends before applying styler (commercial ones like Seyani or Qhemet or Jane Carter, or you can use shealoe)

Oil rinses (slather oil on shampooed wet hair, rinse thoroughly, condition and rinse again)

Baggying (on dry hair): Spray ends with water mixed with a drop of glycerin, honey and aloe vera. Then I slather Afro Detangler on ends (it's a butter lotion). You can use shealoe butter or other light butters, or glycerin and honey and water. Then rub your favorite oil on the ends, and seal in a baggy.
    IMG_3397-th.jpg

Leave a lot of conditioner in your hair--
    The products I'm using also help hair retain moisture;
    I wash only with conditoner or with Chagrin Valley superfatted soaps
    Detangle/rinse out condition with Mop Top Daily conditoner, or John Masters, or MOP Mixed Greens or Robert Craig. I can leave any of these in as well, and I do. I'll rinse out 1/2 of it or close to scalp to complete the cleansing then smooth more in, smooth it into my hair in clumps.

Leave-ins that I use only for that purpose: Alba Botanical, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink], MOP Leave-in. They help moisturize and define texture.

And the gels that I use to hold the texture are mostly aloe-vera based (Theraneem, Georges, Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic)

I'm doing more protective styling (always at night, couple of times a week). But I do like to wear my hair out.

2c-3a in the summer time

products...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file