My hair is "right handed"

CarnitaCarnita Posts: 32Registered Users
Ok, so here's my latest frustration. The right side of my hair is much more likely to curl than the left. Some days, I'm able to coax beautiful waves out of the right side, and the left side is darned near straight. I've heard of people having this problem front/back or top/bottom, but come on, having one side straighter makes it look really crazy. Sigh.
2a

Baking soda wash, acv rinse

Aloe vera gel, experimenting with ky jelly :tongue3:

Comments

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I feel your frustration (though I have the top versus underneath difference). I've taken to adding a firmer hold gel on the underneath layers that don't curl nearly as much, and I also pin curl those strands when I have the time (twist around your finger, slide it off and pin it in the "O" shape while it dries). It seems to help, but it's certainly frustrating having two completely different textures of hair.

That being said, are the textures for yours different from one side to the other? or do they feel the same, the left side just doesn't curl as much? Do you think maybe it's because of the way you sleep? Sometimes my right side is considerably more 'wilted' in the mornings than my left, because I tend to sleep on my right side.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • CarnitaCarnita Posts: 32Registered Users
    Same fine texture on both sides, and I have the different curliness even with fresh hair (in fact, i get better waves 2nd day on both sides). I don't think it's anything that I can change. But I like the idea of making pin curls. I'm new to all of this, just discovered my hair is not straight a few weeks ago (I know, it sounds silly), and am definitely open to new techniques, especially ones that don't involve product. I spent some time walking a river today, which exposed me to some humidity that I don't normally get, and had actual curls afterward. My hair look lovely in a wild sort of way. Do you pin the pin curls with a bobby pin, or something looser? I've been wondering if there's some sort of way to clip my hair up next to my head, sort of like scrunching, while it dries, maybe with a claw clip.
    2a

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    mine is left handed and I do a pineapple at night and it doesn't make any difference, I"m always messing around more with the right side!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Carnita wrote: »
    Same fine texture on both sides, and I have the different curliness even with fresh hair (in fact, i get better waves 2nd day on both sides). I don't think it's anything that I can change. But I like the idea of making pin curls. I'm new to all of this, just discovered my hair is not straight a few weeks ago (I know, it sounds silly), and am definitely open to new techniques, especially ones that don't involve product. I spent some time walking a river today, which exposed me to some humidity that I don't normally get, and had actual curls afterward. My hair look lovely in a wild sort of way. Do you pin the pin curls with a bobby pin, or something looser? I've been wondering if there's some sort of way to clip my hair up next to my head, sort of like scrunching, while it dries, maybe with a claw clip.

Not silly at all! I've actually got a friend that was trying the CG method with me (she had to break down and wash, but she's still following a modified version) and she went from having baaaaarely noticable waves to almost curls basically overnight.

I've been using bobby pins simply because it's what i had handy. the duckbill/whatever they're called pins might work too... but they're usually kind of large so i think they might crush the curl more than the bobby pin.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
    on frizzoff.com Jonathan Torch (CK developer) sells these big jaw clips that he uses to add body by twisting large sections of hair and clipping it over it. Sort of like setting your hair in huge rollers? It seems like a neat thing to try if your hair is fine and you're wanting more fullness to it.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    MimsTX wrote: »

Not silly at all! I've actually got a friend that was trying the CG method with me (she had to break down and wash, but she's still following a modified version) and she went from having baaaaarely noticable waves to almost curls basically overnight.

I've been using bobby pins simply because it's what i had handy. the duckbill/whatever they're called pins might work too... but they're usually kind of large so i think they might crush the curl more than the bobby pin.

I thought I had weird straight hair until a little over a year ago, so not strange at all.

As for OP, it's the right side that is usually curlier for me. I have a few spots on the left that don't seem to curl at all and the back I can never seem to scrunch right to get the curl up to the top.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • TrixieTrixie Posts: 260Registered Users
    The right side of my hair definitely seems to have more defined curls and curl better. So very weird.
    Somewhere between a 2b/c and a 3a

Current product favorites
    Cleansers: Giovanni TTTT shampoo, Deva No-Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner
    Conditioners: Tigi Moisture Maniac, Yes to Cucumbers, GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR
    Stylers/Gels: KCCC, SS CEJ and FHG, AOMM, BRHG, LA Looks Sport Gel, Lustrasilk (winter), Pink Boots (winter)
    Henna glosses!
    It's actually a great comfort to know that there are other people out there that didn't know they had wavy hair. When I made the discovery, I was practically hitting myself over the head for the silliness of it, but it explained so much. It's the reason that I've always hated my strangely poofy hair every time I've grown it out long (and as a consequence, always cut it back off).

I'm still learning how to control my waves, but just going with nature has made all the difference in my hair. Instead of having out of control straight hair, I've got soft wavy hair, no fight.

I just washed, and am going to try making pincurls on my straighter side. I'd be happy with just a few close to my face to help balance things out.
    2a

It's actually a great comfort to know that there are other people out there that didn't know they had wavy hair. When I made the discovery, I was practically hitting myself over the head for the silliness of it, but it explained so much. It's the reason that I've always hated my strangely poofy hair every time I've grown it out long (and as a consequence, always cut it back off).

I'm still learning how to control my waves, but just going with nature has made all the difference in my hair. Instead of having out of control straight hair, I've got soft wavy hair, no fight.

I just washed, and am going to try making pincurls on my straighter side. I'd be happy with just a few close to my face to help balance things out.
    That a girl ;) that's what this is all about it isn't it? To embrace what we have and not fight against it that is the CG msg!!

If you can stop with a few pincurls go for it, I start getting carried away and before I know it make things worse and not matching *LOL* I should try just a few though and curb the urge.....
    Discovered CG 2007

• wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users
    Yet another voice saying it's not weird to be unaware that your hair can curl. I had "messy" straightish hair for years. (Should have known when, anytime I cut above the shoulders, it started growing sideways!!!! Who knew that was a spiral trying to grow???)

Also not weird to have the sides not match!

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
    I had "messy" straightish hair for years. Should have known when, anytime I cut above the shoulders, it started growing sideways!!!!

Yes! Mine was like that, too! I always said my hair was "bendy." Truth was, no matter what, it just looked like I had slept on it.

I always complained to my mom about how frizzy my hair was, and she always said that straight hair can't be frizzy. I thought I was living proof she was wrong, but maybe she was right after all.
    2a

• ajaneajane Posts: 323Registered Users
    Ditto the messy straightish hair. I though my hair was just really dry and that is why it frizzed. I also deluded myself that the last perm I had when I was 18 lasted into my 30s. How bonkers is that?

Now I think my hair PMS's too. Some weeks the right side is curly and other weeks the left side is. I am working on the where at in the cycle I am to see if I am right.
    Ok Mims, now I'm addicted to pincurls! I blame you. :toothy7:

They're the perfect solution to my straighter side, and also those random straight pieces that always seem to stand out among my waves.

Pinning them with a bobby pin crushes them and leaves indentations, so instead, I pin them with teeny tiny claw clips. Perfecto!
    2a

• curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    haha must confess I always thought my hair was crazy too. Even hair dresses couldn't cut it straight, or at least make it look like it was cut straight.

my hair tends to be left-handed, the top likes having shorter layers, but the underneath likes being longer (it's practically straight atm on account I chopped it off).

oh btw I was looking at my hair today and it seems my waves/curly don't all go the same way, is this weird? I've always thought they all went the same way?
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
    Ha ha! I know that back when I thought my hair was straight, and cut in a bob, both left and right sides would "flip" to the right. And no matter how evenly my hair was cut, it always looked like it had been cut at about four different lengths. See, the signs were there all along. It really makes me wonder how long my hair has been wavy.
    2a

• gemini12gemini12 Posts: 146Registered Users
    I completely feel your pain, except my hair is left-handed! My left side is much more likely to curl up nicely while I have to really work on the curls on the right side. Completely annoying!
    CG as of 8/28/08
    thin/fine 2a/3a hair

Still searching for my HG's, but currently loving:
    Rinse out: AOHR
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct
    Styling: KCCC, LOOB, TW, TT, HESMU
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    Oh my gosh, I can't believe I missed this thread earlier- I have had all the same issues! When I was 14 I cut my hair ear length, and it was always flowing towards one side! It looked like I constantly had breeze blowing my hair to the right or left (both sides of my head at once) except of course there was no breeze, just my weird hair trying to wave. I had it cut just above below where it started to wave, but I had no idea what I was doing. It took me a long time to get that to grow out right, and when it did I had no idea what was up with my hair. I didn't think it was straight, wavy or curly! I just knew it was FRIZZY and POOFY. That's it... So yeah I hated mine for a really long time too.

And then of course my right side always looks better than my left, it's not just that one side is straight, the other is wavy, but it's just more consistent looking. The left side always has crazy strands that try and break loose and do their own thing. So weird!
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

I don't know what is going on, but the left side of my hair, which is usually the straighter side, decided to curl this week. I'm not sure if it's the change in weather, or if it's just reached a critical length? Either way, I'm pretty pleased.

My latest problem is that my ear-length layers in the front are curling so that they really stick out from my head, but with straight ends. :sad5:
    2a

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file