We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

PLEASE help ASAP - color too dark

KristaRoseKristaRose Posts: 546Registered Users
My daughter (she doesn't have curly hair) colored her hair last night and it's too dark. She used Foxy Brown. Is there something we can use at home to lighten it up a few shades or strip the color? Thanks so much for your help! I don't color and am clueless. I don't want to make things worse.
3B
Growing out from a pixie cut. Long process but I'm getting there.

Comments

• laurabeth33laurabeth33 Posts: 1,443Registered Users
    There's two easy ways to get color to fade quickly.

One is to "strip" it by washing with dishsoap, clarifying shampoos, etc. This is very effective but hard on the hair, especially if it has been processed/colored or has damage from heated appliances (blow dryer, curling iron, flat iron).

Secondly, you can do all the stuff you're not supposed to do after coloring. My personal fav is to do a protein DT with heat (to open the cuticle and encourage the color to be exposed), followed by a moisturizing DT with lots of glycerin. Avoid silicones, mineral oil, petrolatum, waxes, and beeswax like the plague--they will only seal the color in with a water insoluble layer. Some have used oils that have caused color fade, but I'm unsure what oils.

You could, of course, do both--clarify with dishsoap and follow with a couple of heated DTs.
    2b w/ some 3a
    product tester geek
  • KristaRoseKristaRose Posts: 546Registered Users
    Thanks!!!
    3B
    Growing out from a pixie cut. Long process but I'm getting there.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kikirose wrote: »
    My daughter (she doesn't have curly hair) colored her hair last night and it's too dark. She used Foxy Brown. Is there something we can use at home to lighten it up a few shades or strip the color? Thanks so much for your help! I don't color and am clueless. I don't want to make things worse.

What brand? Is that the Herbel Essences Color Me Vibrant Foxy Brown? If so, that's a semi-permanent haircolor and should wash out.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    It will fade after a couple washes, I used it once.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file