continuing effect of a relaxer

J_81J_81 Registered Users Posts: 9
Hi
I am thinking of relaxing my hair but wanted to know a few things.
Firstly will the 'straightening' effect diminish the more applications you do to your hair. Some products say they last 2 months so when i apply it a second time can the effect not be as good as the 1st time as i have read some people have experienced this.
Also if i am not happy with the results can i apply a different relaxer onto the relaxed hair after waiting 8-12 weeks or is that 'relaxed hair' a no-go for any relaxer at all?

thanks

Comments

• ncurlie0108ncurlie0108 Registered Users Posts: 9
    J_81,

It would help to know exactly what products you are considering. But generally, relaxed hair is permanently relaxed. It should never be relaxed again after the initial application. New growth, which is the hair that will grow in during the 8-12 weeks after the initial application, can have relaxer applied to it so that the texture will match that of the previously straightened hair.

Also, the aim is to never have overlap of processing between applications. This is why it is encouraged to have someone else apply the relaxer touch-ups or follow-up applications. A hairdresser has a better view of the condition of your hair and the amount of actual new growth that is there which will minimize the possibility of overlap. That causes breakage and additional damage to the hair.
  • J_81J_81 Registered Users Posts: 9
    I am considering the Phyto Specific relaxer after reading the good reviews.
    I read one review for this product where the person said that the effect was'nt as good as the 1st application which concerned me.
  • MissKinkyCoilyMissKinkyCoily Registered Users Posts: 827
    I used to relax my own hair all the time back in the day. It always came out nice and straight. Then I started letting someone else do it. I didnt like the results, so I relaxed my entire head myself 2 months later. I then suffered from extreme breakage for the next few months. I finally had to just cut my hair.

Only Relax the New Growth. Relaxers weaken the chemical bonds of each strand. If you do this, repeatedly, YOUR HAIR WILL BREAK OFF.
    5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS
    :wav:

Last Relaxer: August 2003
    Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates

comic-p.jpg
    Bascially i wanted to know if i do apply a relaxer like Phyto will the 'relaxed hair' (not talking about re-growth) eventually revert back to its original condition and form i.e wavy after a few months.
    J_81 wrote: »
    Bascially i wanted to know if i do apply a relaxer like Phyto will the 'relaxed hair' (not talking about re-growth) eventually revert back to its original condition and form i.e wavy after a few months.

No it will never revert back to your natural state. The names Perm and Relaxer are short for Permanent Relaxer. Thus, the effects are permanent. Thats why you only need to touch up the new growth.

comic-p.jpg
  • megan412megan412 Registered Users Posts: 1
    I have to disagree with previous posters. I have had my hair professionally relaxed several times over the years, with a different product each time. My curl always bounces back. Once--after relaxing with a Rusk product--they came back the next day! It's usually a gradual change: first a little waviness, then a loose curl, then curlier and curlier until it's back to normal. And I'm not talking about regrowth, just to be clear. My curls will not be suppressed! (But so far, I've gotten the longest-lasting results from an un-perm, where the stylist combs my hair straight with typical perm solution rather than a "relaxer" product. That lasted a couple of months...)
    megan412 wrote: »
    It's usually a gradual change: first a little waviness, then a loose curl, then curlier and curlier until it's back to normal.

what time length did this occur in?.
    I heard Rusk Anti Curl does not make hair 100% straight anyway.
  • ncurlie0108ncurlie0108 Registered Users Posts: 9
    Megan412, I'm not sure what hair type you have, but I am pretty sure we are not talking about the same kind of relaxer.

From what I saw on the product website, the Rusk product appears to be different than a traditional permanent hair relaxer referred to by myself and most of the other posters.
    megan412 wrote: »
    I have to disagree with previous posters. I have had my hair professionally relaxed several times over the years, with a different product each time. My curl always bounces back. Once--after relaxing with a Rusk product--they came back the next day! It's usually a gradual change: first a little waviness, then a loose curl, then curlier and curlier until it's back to normal. And I'm not talking about regrowth, just to be clear. My curls will not be suppressed! (But so far, I've gotten the longest-lasting results from an un-perm, where the stylist combs my hair straight with typical perm solution rather than a "relaxer" product. That lasted a couple of months...)

Are you talking about a chemical relaxer?

It is scientifically proven that your hair will not be the exact same ever again (when done properly). Yes, it is true, that for kinkier hair types your hair will not get bone straight (my hair always got loose & wavy). But it will never REVERT back to its natural state, because that is scientifically impossible.

comic-p.jpg
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,118
    Well, I agree with most posters about hair never reverting, but Megan412, I can see why you would say that. My relaxed hair eventually would start waving more after a couple months, though not even close to its original state.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file