Comparing my East African and West African Shea butter

rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
OK, I finally got to try my E. African shea for a few days and have an opinion to share. I really like them both for different reasons. I like the E. African because it's creamier and easier to spread. It also melts better and smoother in my hands. It has a little bit of a nutty smell but not as bad as my unrefined W. african shea. It's also cheaper (for more) than my unrefined W. african shea. Which is funny because it's rarer and everywhere else I found it the E. African was more expensive. I haven't tried it on my eyes yet like I use my W. African (for moisture and wrinkles, and believe it or not it works) and have just used it on my hair. My hair doesn't like it on wet hair but on dry hair it works well.

IMO I will probably be buying more of both varieties. I'll always have shea butter on hand now. I just don't know where I'll get it. I may decide to get it from the ebayer again, just because she went so far out of her way for me. I may not. Since I have so much shea now that's not going to be an issue for awhile LOL.
:D
Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Low poo: looking
COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
RO: varies
Protein: CJCF or CJRM
DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
LI: varies, usually KCKT
Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Did you get a sample of her lotion with the butter? I think it's really nice, but have nothing to compare it with just other shea in hair products. I think we should give the ebayer time to organize from the move--and then try again. The website says they only charge actual shipping. Her prices are reasonable, so it may be a great place to use when/if??? she gets her act together.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »
    Did you get a sample of her lotion with the butter? I think it's really nice, but have nothing to compare it with just other shea in hair products. I think we should give the ebayer time to organize from the move--and then try again. The website says they only charge actual shipping. Her prices are reasonable, so it may be a great place to use when/if??? she gets her act together.

Nope, I didn't. I think they were in a hurry to get it back out to me. I got another email from her in answer to one that I sent her Thurs. or Fri, and I'm planning on ordering from her again after the move. They have issues with their PO. where they are now.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    Is this a solid lump of plain shea butter? I've tracked down someone selling shea in Australia on Ebay. It is grade a unrefined butter. Is that what I should be buying?
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Did you get the email today, she's having a sale. A few dollars off. I wonder if they're better organized?
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for posting that, kathymack. I wanted to get unrefined West African Shea to compare, but she doesn't have that on sale. However, I found an Etsy dealer that is going out of the soap-making business with unrefined W African on sale :) ... not that I need it, or anything...I convo'd her to see if she is looking to get rid of any other butters and oils, since the shea is all she lists- 8oz for under $5.00...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file