Styles to wear without a curling iron ?!

andiem3andiem3 Posts: 12Registered Users
So my hair's like this: it can go straight (after about 45 minutes with a straightener) or I can style it curly after a shower because my hair is naturally curly. But I always have to put in product and then use a curling iron to fix up some pieces that go really frizzy. Any ideas for what I can do on those days when I really don't have the time to use a curling iron? Any ideas would be great!

Comments

• LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    Hi there, I'm new here too, but I used to do what you describe and after high school, I sort of said "F this" and started just wearing my hair up most of the time. I found this site though (just recently...and I graduated HS 6 years ago!) and started the Curly Girl method. My hair is less frizzy and more defined already and it's only day 2. Just try reading some of the boards and look for people with similar hair types and read what they do. It should help for sure.

Good luck.

PS - the first pic in my album in my signature was how my hair curled in HS.
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• andiem3andiem3 Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thank you very much! I'll definitely start trying the things on this site!
    No prob, if you look at my album and my hair is like yours, I don't mind explaining what I've been doing if you want to hear from a newbie :)

Sure! Your hair is like mine a lot, I'd have to say mine dries poofy though!!
    Mine dries poofy with nothing in it too. I think it's just how curly hair tends to be.

The curly girl method (and I'm no expert, just repeating what I've read) is basically avoiding sulfates and silicones and just being really gentle with your hair. Sulfates are in most shampoos and silicones are in a LOT of hair products. Sulfates strip your hair of moisture - which makes your hair dry and poofy! And silicones, although they make your hair Look shiny an healthy, actually build up and block moisture from getting into the hair shaft.

So..here's what I did today:
    Wash with Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner(basically massaging the conditioner into the scalp and then running it through the length) - rinse that
    Then conditioned with the same, put more in the hair and let it sit while I did the rest of my shower stuff - rinsed
    Combed with a wide tooth comb
    Towel dryed for like..1 minute
    Added Beauty Without Cruelty Leave-In Conditioner
    Added Biolage Gelee and Scrunched like crazy with my hands for 4 or 5 minutes
    Let it air dry and the scrunched out the crunch when it was completely dry

Ok, thank you so much! I had no idea about silicones and sulfates in shampoos and products and the damage they cause! I've been looking for good curl products for a while now, so thanks again and I'll try it all out!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file