CurlTalk

Please help me decide!

fig jamfig jam Posts: 2,555Registered Users
Someone's mention of taking her own lunch to school really got me thinking. What should I take for lunch? Sandwiches are kind of tried and true, but there are so many pros and cons to consider, and decisions to make. First, what kind of bread should I use? I want to limit my bad carbs, but I really don't much like whole grains because they're kind of heavy and dry. I guess if I were really concerned about carbs I would not be thinking about sandwiches, but they're really kind of classic, don't you think? It's a tradition I might want to pass on; I grew up on them; my mom made the BEST peanut butter and banana sandwiches! Okay, say I go with sandwiches, should I say, just go with the white bread? And if so, should I get the kind that is perfectly square, or the more elongated kind? What kind of corners? Some are kind of sharp, and that appeals to the orderly part of me, but the rounded ones are kind of feminine. And I am a girly girl! Wonder or Sunbeam? One builds strong bodies but the other has that really cute little weird girl on the package.

Now, should I make the sandwich ahead of time at night to save time in the morning? I am not much of a morning person, but I really worry that the fillings and things will make the sandwich gooey if I make it too far ahead. I like to organize my time well, but there's only so much I can do before I go to my job. Did I mention I have this job that means I don't have a lot of time for lunch? That's why I have to make sandwiches (if that's what I decide to do!). Plus I will be starting medical school in the fall ( BOY! Has that decision kept me hopping!!! I don't like to brag, but I thought I would mention it. Just because!!)

So back to the dilemma. Let's say I go with round-cornered white Wonder bread. Then what? I really like tuna fish but that opens a whole can of worms (no pun intended!). White albacore? Chunk light? Packed in oil, water, or vacuum packed? Should I worry about mercury poisoning? For sure I will go dolphin-safe, but the rest is a big mystery to me. You'd think a med student (ALMOST!!!) would be able to make a decision like this, but it's really pretty complicated. You know I am a vegetarian, but does that include fish? Anyway, then what to mix it with. I don't want the fat and calories from mayonnaise because my very unique kind of figure is kind of hard to maintain, and I am also afraid the mayo would soak through the bread or spoil. And what about lettuce and/or tomatoes? How would I pack those? Should I go separate, like in separate Ziploc bags, or would you recommend reusable things like Tupperware? How do I go about arranging a Tupperware party? Or should I just buy it through a catalogue? This would mean extra trouble washing the plastic ware at night, but I hate to litter the landfills with a bunch of sandwich bags. Okay, I don't think I'll do the tuna, unless you can help me think of a way to make it more doable. This is really a problem.

I could just go with a plain cheese sandwich, but you know how hard cheese can get if air gets to it, and then I still have the problem with condiments. Do you know wehre I could get some cute tiny containers maybe to put mustard or mayonnaise or some of that weird Durkee's dressing in, to make the sandwiches? And you know, I'm really not totally sold on the sandwich idea. They're kind of traditional, I know I said that, don't question me about that, but they aren't really all that chic, you know? After all they were invented by some white European colonialist Earl of something and I don't want to be reminded of that every day at noon.

So, how about something a little more trendy, like sushi? But I don't know how to make or pack or carry that, and as a medical student (did I mention I am going to medical school? Well, I am!!!!!!!!!!!!) I should be worried about the safety of raw food and/or especially the puffer fish I favor. So where do I get those little bindo or bindi or whatever boxes to carry the sushi in? This could be the deciding factor if I can't find one or the kind of chopsticks I want. I am very particular because you know I am part Japanese.

I hope you all can help me make this decision. It will be one more thing out of the way before I start med school in a few months or weeks, I forget.

Oh, also, I will be letting the dogs run around in the labs while I am at school. Do you think this will be any kind of a problem? They're really no trouble and I think most people kind of like dogs. I thought the shedding might be an issue in a sterile environment but my uncle kind of runs the med school and he said he thinks it will be okay.

Sorry this is so long and I know some of you will think it's stupid (the usual crowd, I'm sure!!!!!), but it's a free country and important to me!
"Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"
«134567

Comments

  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Just drive thru at Taco Bell and get a bean burrito. 350 calories, 9g fat. You'll thank me later.
    ehLB.jpg
  • BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Posts: 1,078Registered Users
    I don't really like sandwiches. Maybe you could try a wrap instead???

    As for the dogs, I am extremely allergic and I wouldn't want someone else's dogs running around the lab. But to each his own! Watch out for the dangerous chemicals!
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    fig jam wrote: »
    Someone's mention of taking her own lunch to school really got me thinking. What should I take for lunch? Sandwiches are kind of tried and true, but there are so many pros and cons to consider, and decisions to make. First, what kind of bread should I use? I want to limit my bad carbs, but I really don't much like whole grains because they're kind of heavy and dry. I guess if I were really concerned about carbs I would not be thinking about sandwiches, but they're really kind of classic, don't you think? It's a tradition I might want to pass on; I grew up on them; my mom made the BEST peanut butter and banana sandwiches! Okay, say I go with sandwiches, should I say, just go with the white bread? And if so, should I get the kind that is perfectly square, or the more elongated kind? What kind of corners? Some are kind of sharp, and that appeals to the orderly part of me, but the rounded ones are kind of feminine. And I am a girly girl! Wonder or Sunbeam? One builds strong bodies but the other has that really cute little weird girl on the package.

    Now, should I make the sandwich ahead of time at night to save time in the morning? I am not much of a morning person, but I really worry that the fillings and things will make the sandwich gooey if I make it too far ahead. I like to organize my time well, but there's only so much I can do before I go to my job. Did I mention I have this job that means I don't have a lot of time for lunch? That's why I have to make sandwiches (if that's what I decide to do!). Plus I will be starting medical school in the fall ( BOY! Has that decision kept me hopping!!! I don't like to brag, but I thought I would mention it. Just because!!)

    So back to the dilemma. Let's say I go with round-cornered white Wonder bread. Then what? I really like tuna fish but that opens a whole can of worms (no pun intended!). White albacore? Chunk light? Packed in oil, water, or vacuum packed? Should I worry about mercury poisoning? For sure I will go dolphin-safe, but the rest is a big mystery to me. You'd think a med student (ALMOST!!!) would be able to make a decision like this, but it's really pretty complicated. You know I am a vegetarian, but does that include fish? Anyway, then what to mix it with. I don't want the fat and calories from mayonnaise because my very unique kind of figure is kind of hard to maintain, and I am also afraid the mayo would soak through the bread or spoil. And what about lettuce and/or tomatoes? How would I pack those? Should I go separate, like in separate Ziploc bags, or would you recommend reusable things like Tupperware? How do I go about arranging a Tupperware party? Or should I just buy it through a catalogue? This would mean extra trouble washing the plastic ware at night, but I hate to litter the landfills with a bunch of sandwich bags. Okay, I don't think I'll do the tuna, unless you can help me think of a way to make it more doable. This is really a problem.

    I could just go with a plain cheese sandwich, but you know how hard cheese can get if air gets to it, and then I still have the problem with condiments. Do you know wehre I could get some cute tiny containers maybe to put mustard or mayonnaise or some of that weird Durkee's dressing in, to make the sandwiches? And you know, I'm really not totally sold on the sandwich idea. They're kind of traditional, I know I said that, don't question me about that, but they aren't really all that chic, you know? After all they were invented by some white European colonialist Earl of something and I don't want to be reminded of that every day at noon.

    So, how about something a little more trendy, like sushi? But I don't know how to make or pack or carry that, and as a medical student (did I mention I am going to medical school? Well, I am!!!!!!!!!!!!) I should be worried about the safety of raw food and/or especially the puffer fish I favor. So where do I get those little bindo or bindi or whatever boxes to carry the sushi in? This could be the deciding factor if I can't find one or the kind of chopsticks I want. I am very particular because you know I am part Japanese.

    I hope you all can help me make this decision. It will be one more thing out of the way before I start med school in a few months or weeks, I forget.

    Oh, also, I will be letting the dogs run around in the labs while I am at school. Do you think this will be any kind of a problem? They're really no trouble and I think most people kind of like dogs. I thought the shedding might be an issue in a sterile environment but my uncle kind of runs the med school and he said he thinks it will be okay.

    Sorry this is so long and I know some of you will think it's stupid (the usual crowd, I'm sure!!!!!), but it's a free country and important to me!
    blink.gif

    I like my tortillas!
    Congrats on med school :iconbiggrin:

    lol @ sarah
    0004.gif

    Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P


  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    I say go for ziplock containers. Much cheaper than Tupperware and if you're too busy to wash it, you could just throw it out. The convenience of reusable with the option of disposable. See, it's a win-win. If you don't want to do that, you could always go to 7-11. They have those little mayo and mustard packets. You could just throw a few in your book bag or purse. You could even take a knife to cut your sandwich if you wanted to.
    Location: Chicago

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    You're going to med school and you're having difficulty deciding about sammiches?

    Please tell me that you and I will NOT cross paths if I am ever in need of surgery.
    :rambo:
  • EliciaElicia Posts: 881Registered Users
    Man I feel you girl. Deciding what to have for lunch is a battle I fight each day . I am special though i got the big D, so what i eat is the most important decision of the day :) I wish I were more like you and planned out what i wanted ahead of time.
    It is a tough decision to make, because the wrong lunch can just **** up the whole flow of the day and as a medical student you are going to need to be at your very best at all times- lives may depend on it! I think you should stay away from the tuna that could turn out horribly wrong. I would take all the ingredients and make the sandwich at work or school. Take recyclable containers and silverware with you. You don't even have to buy it I am sure you can pick up some anywhere for free.
    Good luck girl on your quest for the perfect lunch :)

    Oh and congrats on medical school. I didn't even know you were planning on going to medical school!!! How freaking fantastic. You must tell us more! I don't know you at all ,but just from reading your insightful message postings over the years i just know you have what it takes to become the bestest doctor ever. Good luck and please keep us posted as often as possible about your journey through medical school.
  • EliciaElicia Posts: 881Registered Users
    M2LR wrote: »
    You're going to med school and you're having difficulty deciding about sammiches?

    Please tell me that you and I will NOT cross paths if I am ever in need of surgery.

    oh be nice M2LR she won't be making a sammich when she cuts you open, besides a good sandwich is hard to get.
    I get overwhelmed just thinking about the possibilities .
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I cook extra at night and take that for lunch. They have lunch containers that will keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold. You could heat the food in the am and pack it in a hot container. Salads keep well in coolers.

    I'm not a sandwich eater but wraps are okay.

    Dogs in the lab? pun? Um, as long as they can't get into stuff.
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    M2LR wrote: »
    You're going to med school and you're having difficulty deciding about sammiches?

    Please tell me that you and I will NOT cross paths if I am ever in need of surgery.


    No worries! She's going to be a hoity toity doc. For the rich and famous. She won't have time to treat poor folks like you and me.
    Location: Chicago

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • EliciaElicia Posts: 881Registered Users
    YolyC wrote: »
    M2LR wrote: »
    You're going to med school and you're having difficulty deciding about sammiches?

    Please tell me that you and I will NOT cross paths if I am ever in need of surgery.


    No worries! She's going to be a hoity toity doc. For the rich and famous. She won't have time to treat poor folks like you and me.

    NO i don't believe that !! she is a giver and she is in it to save the world not to get rich .
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Elicia wrote: »
    YolyC wrote: »
    M2LR wrote: »
    You're going to med school and you're having difficulty deciding about sammiches?

    Please tell me that you and I will NOT cross paths if I am ever in need of surgery.


    No worries! She's going to be a hoity toity doc. For the rich and famous. She won't have time to treat poor folks like you and me.

    NO i don't believe that !! she is a giver and she is in it to save the world not to get rich .

    I want to see how she slices tomatoes first!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    M2LR wrote: »
    You're going to med school and you're having difficulty deciding about sammiches?

    Please tell me that you and I will NOT cross paths if I am ever in need of surgery.

    I don't think she'll be eating in the operating room. Balogna sandwiches and gallbladder removal don't mesh!
  • EliciaElicia Posts: 881Registered Users
    fig jam wrote: »
    Someone's mention of taking her own lunch to school really got me thinking. What should I take for lunch? Sandwiches are kind of tried and true, but there are so many pros and cons to consider, and decisions to make. First, what kind of bread should I use? I want to limit my bad carbs, but I really don't much like whole grains because they're kind of heavy and dry. I guess if I were really concerned about carbs I would not be thinking about sandwiches, but they're really kind of classic, don't you think? It's a tradition I might want to pass on; I grew up on them; my mom made the BEST peanut butter and banana sandwiches! Okay, say I go with sandwiches, should I say, just go with the white bread? And if so, should I get the kind that is perfectly square, or the more elongated kind? What kind of corners? Some are kind of sharp, and that appeals to the orderly part of me, but the rounded ones are kind of feminine. And I am a girly girl! Wonder or Sunbeam? One builds strong bodies but the other has that really cute little weird girl on the package.

    Now, should I make the sandwich ahead of time at night to save time in the morning? I am not much of a morning person, but I really worry that the fillings and things will make the sandwich gooey if I make it too far ahead. I like to organize my time well, but there's only so much I can do before I go to my job. Did I mention I have this job that means I don't have a lot of time for lunch? That's why I have to make sandwiches (if that's what I decide to do!). Plus I will be starting medical school in the fall ( BOY! Has that decision kept me hopping!!! I don't like to brag, but I thought I would mention it. Just because!!)

    So back to the dilemma. Let's say I go with round-cornered white Wonder bread. Then what? I really like tuna fish but that opens a whole can of worms (no pun intended!). White albacore? Chunk light? Packed in oil, water, or vacuum packed? Should I worry about mercury poisoning? For sure I will go dolphin-safe, but the rest is a big mystery to me. You'd think a med student (ALMOST!!!) would be able to make a decision like this, but it's really pretty complicated. You know I am a vegetarian, but does that include fish? Anyway, then what to mix it with. I don't want the fat and calories from mayonnaise because my very unique kind of figure is kind of hard to maintain, and I am also afraid the mayo would soak through the bread or spoil. And what about lettuce and/or tomatoes? How would I pack those? Should I go separate, like in separate Ziploc bags, or would you recommend reusable things like Tupperware? How do I go about arranging a Tupperware party? Or should I just buy it through a catalogue? This would mean extra trouble washing the plastic ware at night, but I hate to litter the landfills with a bunch of sandwich bags. Okay, I don't think I'll do the tuna, unless you can help me think of a way to make it more doable. This is really a problem.

    I could just go with a plain cheese sandwich, but you know how hard cheese can get if air gets to it, and then I still have the problem with condiments. Do you know wehre I could get some cute tiny containers maybe to put mustard or mayonnaise or some of that weird Durkee's dressing in, to make the sandwiches? And you know, I'm really not totally sold on the sandwich idea. They're kind of traditional, I know I said that, don't question me about that, but they aren't really all that chic, you know? After all they were invented by some white European colonialist Earl of something and I don't want to be reminded of that every day at noon.

    So, how about something a little more trendy, like sushi? But I don't know how to make or pack or carry that, and as a medical student (did I mention I am going to medical school? Well, I am!!!!!!!!!!!!) I should be worried about the safety of raw food and/or especially the puffer fish I favor. So where do I get those little bindo or bindi or whatever boxes to carry the sushi in? This could be the deciding factor if I can't find one or the kind of chopsticks I want. I am very particular because you know I am part Japanese.

    I hope you all can help me make this decision. It will be one more thing out of the way before I start med school in a few months or weeks, I forget.

    Oh, also, I will be letting the dogs run around in the labs while I am at school. Do you think this will be any kind of a problem? They're really no trouble and I think most people kind of like dogs. I thought the shedding might be an issue in a sterile environment but my uncle kind of runs the med school and he said he thinks it will be okay.

    Sorry this is so long and I know some of you will think it's stupid (the usual crowd, I'm sure!!!!!), but it's a free country and important to me!

    i don't think the dogs in the lab would be a problem as long as they let you . dogs are pretty smart and i am sure if they get clocked on the head a few times or get into something they are not suppose to they will learn not to do it again .
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    :lol: after all that, the only thing I could come up with is.....are you ready....


    Diet.
    2b/3a.
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    sarah42 wrote: »
    Just drive thru at Taco Bell and get a bean burrito. 350 calories, 9g fat. You'll thank me later.

    Would you also suggest some fire sauce to go with her parody? I mean lunch..........
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

    (taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • EliciaElicia Posts: 881Registered Users
    Speckla wrote: »
    M2LR wrote: »
    You're going to med school and you're having difficulty deciding about sammiches?

    Please tell me that you and I will NOT cross paths if I am ever in need of surgery.

    I don't think she'll be eating in the operating room. Balogna sandwiches and gallbladder removal don't mesh!

    see when i was having my gallbladder removed i could not eat for hours, before the surgery . I would have loved it if my doctor had shared a balogna sandwhich with me
  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users
    :lurk:
    I'm so confused...
    


    crap.
    I'm turning into wileE again..
    :angry8:
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    :lurk:
    I'm so confused...
    

    crap.
    I'm turning into wileE again..
    :angry8:

    But I don't think WileE is confused ;)
    2b/3a.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    :lurk:
    I'm so [B][I][U]confused[/U][/I][/B]...
    


    crap.
    I'm turning into wileE again..
    :angry8:


    How do you know who you're turning into? Maybe you're the roadrunner.
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    sarah42 wrote: »
    Just drive thru at Taco Bell and get a bean burrito. 350 calories, 9g fat. You'll thank me later.

    Would you also suggest some fire sauce to go with her parody? I mean lunch..........

    Fire sauce...IDK. It's pretty intense. Better go with hot to be on the safe side.
    ehLB.jpg
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Hey, Fig Jam, are you doing to walk to school or take your lunch? That's another angle to consider.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    :laughing8:
    fire sauce, baby!
    

    I think my doc was BBQing when I was in the OR...
    what's that smell...
    
    :iconbiggrin:
    0004.gif

    Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P


  • yagottaloveyacurlsyagottaloveyacurls Posts: 5,766Registered Users
    :hiding: I wonder how he's moving that monitor, he has no hands. he's just a head. I think I've been awake for too long. Nothing is making any sense to me. and I'm tired of having this David Puddy expression on my face.
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    :laughing8:
    fire sauce, baby!
    
    I think my doc was BBQing when I was in the OR...
    what's that smell...
    
    :iconbiggrin:



    It's BBQ placenta! :tongue6:
    Location: Chicago

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Hey, why not let the dogs do the work and you run around the lab?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    :puker:
    YolyC wrote: »
    :laughing8:
    fire sauce, baby!
    
    I think my doc was BBQing when I was in the OR...
    what's that smell...
    
    :iconbiggrin:



    It's BBQ placenta! :tongue6:
    :puker:
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    :sign5:
    0004.gif

    Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P


  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    :sign5:

    Help, I've fallen...and can't remember the rest.:cussing:
  • EliciaElicia Posts: 881Registered Users
    placenta ? is she eating bbq placenta ? does it taste better than regular placenta? can you make a sammwich out of that ? would it be your placenta or would you just pick up some at medical school ?
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Elicia wrote: »
    placenta ? is she eating bbq placenta ? does it taste better than regular placenta? can you make a sammwich out of that ? would it be your placenta or would you just pick up some at medical school ?

    Pita get less soggy than regular bread.
«134567