CurlTalk

Are you uncomfortable with wearing a bathing suit in public?

SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
I can't figure out how to make a poll.
I'll be the first to say that I will not appear in public in a bathing suit. It's shorts and a tshirt for me.

Comments

• YomYom Posts: 1,146Registered Users
    I am comfortable in a bathing suit but that's because I really can't be bothered about what others think of me. So what that I don't have great abs, my ass is on the bigger side, my breast are small and my legs are thick: I'm completely fine with how I look. I know I'm not a supermodel but really, should that keep me from wearing bathing suits?
    3A/B-ish BSL thick hair
    Modified CG since 08/10/2007
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FCurly-Y%2F" class="Popup (updated september 6)
    pw: currrly
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I'm not comfortable exposing that much skin. Who cares what people think about how I or anyone else looks in a swimsuit.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    I only wear a bathing suit with an old friend who lives down the street. We swim in the lake together. She has her flaws, and I have mine. We accept each other's bodies, and it's peaceful.
  • LiveFreeDieCurlyLiveFreeDieCurly Posts: 183Registered Users
    Speckla wrote: »
    I'm not comfortable exposing that much skin. Who cares what people think about how I or anyone else looks in a swimsuit.

I know exactly how you feel. When I go to the beach or to the pool at the beginning of the summer I feel very weird stripping down for everyone to see. It's no different than parading in front of strangers in a bra & panties.

Eventually I get over it & that weird feeling goes away...until next summer.
    Fayetteville, North Carolina
    3b, brunette
  • Rebecca deWinterRebecca deWinter Posts: 2,254Registered Users
    i'm ok with it at the beach, in my yard, etc. but i've seen girls out and about in town in their swimsuits, and i don't think i'd be comfortable doing that. i've never tried it though, so who knows..
    *~*displaced yooper*~*
    :hockey: \m/ \m/
    3069786076_f03f452f63.jpg?v=0
    master quigley and queen ruby, my puppy loves <3
  • malafachamalafacha Posts: 301Registered Users
    Now that I'm bigger I'm much more selfconcious, especially since all my friends are thin.
    It's five o'clock somewhere! ctail.gif
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    not one bit. Unless someone comes after me with a harpoon, I'm not concerned.
    hello.world.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    I'm not uncomfortable until I see someone I know from work. I don't care about strangers seeing me half covered but get very embarassed if it's someone from my office.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • WannaLoveMyWavesWannaLoveMyWaves Posts: 53Registered Users
    I am not really comfortable or uncomfortable. I guess I just accept it as inevitable since I hate being hot and have to swim if I am in the heat for longer than 30 minutes!
    Mixture of type 2 hair
    First day of Wavy CG method: 08/22/08

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FWannaLoveMyWaves%2F" class="Popup
    PW: waves
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    I've always been self-conscious in a bathing suit, even back when I was super skinny. Now after a baby, it's downright depressing!
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • KeeweeKeewee Posts: 1,376Registered Users
    Yes I hate to be seen in a bathing suit.. I will parade around in a two piece in my yard and only if its just my kids and I otherwise I hate to be seen in a bathing suit.. I am very self concious...
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    Bailey422 wrote: »
    I've always been self-conscious in a bathing suit, even back when I was super skinny. Now after a baby, it's downright depressing!

All I have to say is amen to that ^
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I swim everyday at an indoor pool (Y). So, yes, I guess I am comfortable, even though my body is less-than-stellar. I wasn't so comfy when I was younger though...back when I did have a great body. One of life's greatest ironies is that we only appreciate our own beauty after we no longer have it.

I just don't give a rat's ass anymore. My attitude is: I like (no, I LOVE) swimming, and that entails wearing a swimsuit, and if someone doesn't like it, tough.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    I really don't wear swimsuits in public. It's too much like being in my underwear in front of strangers.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • hopetocurlhopetocurl Posts: 1,280Registered Users

I'll have to second that. I wear a suit with a skirt. It's got a plunging neckline though... so it's not totally frumpy.
    Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
    CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fhopetocurl%2F" class="Popup
    pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    hopetocurl wrote: »

I'll have to second that. I wear a suit with a skirt. It's got a plunging neckline though... so it's not totally frumpy.

ITA with all the above. I also have a suit with a short skirt. It makes me feel a little more comfortable wearing a swimsuit with a skirt bottom.
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    I haven't even owned a bathing suit in I can't tell you how long. Wait, maybe I can. The summer before I turned 17. I'll be 22 next month. Every time I think I should just go get one, I freak out and don't do it. Even shopping for them makes me depressed, not to mention wearing one in public.
    Under construction.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    Speckla wrote: »

I used to be like this since I grew up not showing much skin. I am comfortable now though. I love the water and more specifically the beach. Even if I'm hanging out, I don't care.
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,806Registered Users
    Naw, I pretty much live in a bikini and shorts. It was weird 6 months ago, now it's just my uniform.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    I really don't wear swimsuits in public. It's too much like being in my underwear in front of strangers.

Yepper for me too.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I'm comfortable with my body except that I'm very pale. I haven't been tan in more than 15 years. I glow in the dark. :happy9: For that reason, I do not wear a swimsuit in public. If it were nighttime, maybe.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • realisticrealistic Posts: 2,222Registered Users
    Mildly yes.
    Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, and obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not;
    and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board.
    -Henry David Thoreau
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    I'm not crazy about how I look in a bathing suit, but I'm not uncomfortable wearing them in public.
    Eres o te haces?
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I used to wear bikinis and feel fairly comfortable. Now after having 2 kids, not so much. Honestly, after my time living in Uganda, I don't even really feel comfortable in shorts because it wasn't culturally appropriate there.

After I finish losing the baby weight, I think I'll be OK wearing a one-piece swimsuit. I think my bikini days are over though. My stomach just isn't the same.
    ehLB.jpg
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    Yep.
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I am comfortable wearing a swimsuit if I am swimming. If I am lounging around poolside or swimming, then I am wearing a pareo over it.

I had a brief bikini-wearing period. Those days are long gone.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 467Registered Users

Preach on!
    We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people. ~.Martin Luther King Jr
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    I was a gymnast and then a springboard diver for a total of 13 years. You'd think I would be comfortable in a swimsuit, but I never was outside of athletics. It's sad, because although I'm pale I have a fairly cute figure.
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,760Registered Users
    Yes.
    I am another swimming lover, so I have to wear swimsuits, but def I'm not comfortable on them.
    3a/b, CG mostly.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • violaviola Posts: 224Registered Users
    I'm totally not comfortable. When I wear a bathing suit to swim, I'll keep the cover-up on until the last possible moment until I get in the H2O. Last time I went to the water park, I wore the shorts and shirt style bathing suit from jcpenneys. I don't like to admit being vain, but it's just the truth.